Washington (State)

College under fire for allowing transgender female to use women’s locker room

Sunday, November 4, 2012

OLYMPIA, Wash. — A liberal arts college in Washington state has received a warning letter from the Arizona-based religious liberties legal group, Alliance Defending Freedom, advising that the college’s decision to allow a transgender female student to use a woman’s locker room could put the school in legal jeopardy.

At issue is a controversial decision by Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash., to allow an unnamed 45-year-old student who identifies as female, but has male genitalia, to use the women’s locker room at the college’s indoor pool.

Angry parents have contacted police after a young girl allegedly saw the transgender student naked inside the locker room; the locker room is shared with the Capital High School swim club and a children’s swim academy, along with the students at Evergreen.

According to parents, children as young as 6-years-old use the locker room.

“(A mother) reported her daughter was upset because she observed a person at the women’s locker room naked and displaying male genitalia,” said a police report filed in September by the mother of a 17-year-old girl.

The college said it has installed privacy curtains, but does not currently have plans to change its policy.

“The college has to follow state law,” Evergreen spokesman Jason Wettstein told KOMO-TV. “The college cannot discriminate based on the basis of gender identity. Gender identity is one of the protected things in discrimination law in this state.”

In its letter sent Friday, David Hacker, senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defending Freedom group, warned Evergreen, “The fact that this individual was sitting in plain view of young girls changing into their swimsuits puts you and Evergreen on notice of possible future harm.”

Joseph Backholm, director of the conservative non-profit Family Policy Institute of Washington, an anti-gay group leading efforts to overturn the state’s marriage equality law that voters will decide on Tuesday, said “(parents) have the reasonable expectation that there are not going to be naked men or people that their daughters believe are naked men — however they see themselves — in that restroom.”

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Washington (State)

1. This happened at Evergreen State College?! …I’m shocked…
    ~S

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:19pm
  2. Hang tuff, Evergreen!

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:20pm
  3. I dunno what to think about this one…

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:21pm
  4. I read this article on msnbc.com the story I guess is that she was in the sauna exposing her still male private parts and people took offense. Now I am FTM and I think that’s a bit offensive I don’t think she should be banned from the locker room by all means but she still has male parts and children use the locker room because they share it with a high school. I definitely don’t think she should use the male locker room she belongs in the female locker room maybe just be a bit more aware of her surroundings I guess.

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:27pm
  5. And the same school would be under fire from the same people if they let the transgender female use the men’s locker room. What do they think? That she’s transgendered just so she can lust after women in the locker room?

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:32pm
  6. Darn! Children using the same locker room as adults would be MY serious ew factor!

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:37pm
  7. That is bull!!! I’m getting so sick and tired of hearing about these things! I mean damn as a gay male myself we are people too, we have thoughts and feelings and honestly we are getting sick of being discriminated against!!!!

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:37pm
  8. just let her use it god damn it

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:46pm
  9. Here’s an idea. Be honest and truthful with your seventeen year old about transgender people. Tell her that every person is an individual and nobody has the same exact body. Private parts are called private parts for a reason, and if you happen to see someone else’s private parts in a changing room, RESPECT THEIR PRIVACY.

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:49pm
  10. Why do we have gender segregated locker rooms again?

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1:53pm
  11. I don’t have as much understanding of the “T” IN LGBT other than the facts of Transgender but understand discrimination. That’s beneath human.

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 2:08pm
  12. wonders if someone ACTUALLY thinks the woman in question became a woman just so she could look at other naked women in the locker room. “Am I the only one who thinks the logic of that is insane?”

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 2:30pm
  13. i get called sir at least 6 times a day and i wear makeup and dress in women’s clothes, but i have short hair so to a perverted youth obsessed society, i look like a 16 year old boy. i even have woman ask me in the ladies room if i knew i was in the ladies room and not in the mens room, thats when i flash them my tits. cause if i’m gonna make a stand about me, you should know, that at heart i’m a nudist. and much love to my trans girls, because do we really need an all out federal issue on where you can take a piss? a toilet is a toilet, and if you’re unsatisfied with what goes in a public toilet, which lets face it, the biggest one is “peeing in the same room with a stranger issue” then just go home and use your own. because only people of the same gender identity have ever used yours.

Posted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 8:19pm