Views & Voices

Romney: Let states decide on hospital visitation rights for gay couples

Sunday, October 21, 2012

It’s known that Mitt Romney stands against rights for LGBT people. He signed the National Organization for Marriage pledge to stand against marriage equality, appoint Supreme Court Justices who would also stand against equal rights for gays and lesbians and fight to write discrimination against us into the U.S. Constitution.

This, despite at one point saying he would be “better than Ted” Kennedy on gay rights.

Mitt Romney

Yet Romney apparently believes that when my husband is in the hospital, I do not have the right to visit him and that it should be up to each state to decide whether or not I am the next of kin. He believes that a lesbian spouse like Janice Langbehn visiting her dying wife in the hospital is a “privilege” and not a right.

In an interview with Buzzfeed on Saturday, Romney adviser Bay Buchanan told Chris Geidner:

“Governor Romney also believes, consistent with the 10th Amendment, that it should be left to states to decide whether to grant same-sex couples certain benefits, such as hospital visitation rights and the ability to adopt children.”

In April of 2010, recognizing the extraordinary miscarriage of justice and horrifying stories of families being split apart while fathers, mothers, husbands and wives were barred from visiting one another in the hospital, Barack Obama signed an Executive Order stating that any hospital which receives government funding (including Medicare and Medicaid) shall recognize the relationships between gays and lesbians.

This was a simple move. There are truly very few Americans who believe any couple should be separated in their hours of need. But according to his advisers, Romney believes and will fight to make sure if (God forbid) I should need to visit my husband in the hospital, that my legal relationship is not recognized by hospital administration.

How cruel can a person be to leave a person potentially dying alone while their husband, wife, son or daughter sits in a sterile waiting room to hear their loved one has passed.

Please spread the word and understand why November 6th is such an important day.

Please understand what is at risk for me, for you, and for the people you love.

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. no

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:32pm
  2. ASS HOLE ! ! ! ! ! because of narrow minded people like him I can only visit my husband twice a year. One Nation under God !!! Equality for all !! oh please ! ! pull the other leg as its got bells on it ! ! !

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:33pm
  3. Seriously? This man is VILE! I am so grateful that Obama issued the order to allow us visitation rights when my husband had a heart attack early this year the last thing I needed to worry about was whether they’d let me be at his side.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:33pm
  4. Civics lesson. You can’t vote on who is worthy of having their loved ones by their side. If you can then it isn’t a right and married couples cant claim it any more than anyone else.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:33pm
  5. This homophobe doesn’t give a shit about Equality. We deserve the same benefits, rights and protections as any straight couple. We are not second class citizens, let’s not allow this guy and rhe GOP, screw us from being treated Equally!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:34pm
  6. Separate still is not Equal! :-(

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:35pm
  7. Ain’t that some good leadership right there. Putting aside he’s a piece of shit that raised.little pieces of shit, he has no morals, which is why he can’t stick to any principles.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:37pm
  8. Mittens needs to understand what kind of hell he would be putting millions of people through should he do this. Of course, he is a.sociopath, do he will never understand. Grrr

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:37pm
  9. Nothing says Repugnant like remanding civil rights to the states. Fantastic!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:38pm
  10. This should NOT even be an issue! I say hell no! Should have same identical rights … How would many others like it if “they” could not visit their lived ones in the hospital ? they wouldn’t!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:39pm
  11. He cares only about one person,,,,,the needs of the one out weight the need of the many…

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:39pm
  12. Fuck no.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:40pm
  13. And let me decide who visits you with your uncurable Romnesia condition…Binders full of Lesbians!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:42pm
  14. Rubbish

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:43pm
  15. Yeah, like we don’t know what the states are gonna decide on that one. Our time is coming & we won’t forget you sorry piece of crap! You want the federal government in our bedrooms about the right to choose but not for equality. HIPOCRITE!!!!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:44pm
  16. if you are gay and vote for Romney then you are part of the problem. This proves that he is truly against LGBT rights. Really Ronmey? What if your wife is dying in the hospital and you couldn’t see her. Who the hell controls who can see their loved ones at a hospital?? Who is this man?? He makes me sick just looking at his face. It makes me sick to live in this country.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:44pm
  17. State sovernity should be revoked. Back before we had instant communication sure we needed more levels of government but, now it’s too much duplication and a waste of tax payer money. I’m so sick of having to do things state by state. We are all the same everywhere.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:47pm
  18. No. well said Bob Cowboy-Lydon

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:48pm
  19. It never ceases to amaze me the things that come out of his mouth..If he gets any fucking stupider, they need to hospitalize him in a mental ward

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:49pm
  20. Sick sick man

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:49pm
  21. No…. if I’m. In the hospital I want my husband there with me that my right.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:50pm
  22. I hope someone murders him, his VP and their families

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:50pm
  23. Bullshit!! Do you want the state to decide if your wife can visit you in the hospital!!! That’s just crazy!!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:52pm
  24. Yes because a gay couple in florida would be somehow different from one in say texas? Stupid!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:53pm
  25. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. 10th Amendment

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:54pm
  26. i say the same for straight couples let them have their rights stripped as well exspecially romney

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:59pm
  27. If str8 couples knew what it was like to feel like a 2nd class citizen they would not be denying equality! When my fiance was in the hospital for appendicitis i literally was a ghost to the nurses. The main nurse threatened to ban me if I had not left before she came back. For fucks sake str8 non-married couples have more rights than we do!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:04pm
  28. Why should ANYONE decide on hospital visitation other than the couples themselves? How would straight couples feel if the government decided whether or not they could visit their loved ones in the hospital?

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:05pm
  29. In other words, if you happen to live in an archaic thinking ‘red State’, you are not going to be protected by law. He’s disgusting.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:07pm
  30. the mind of some people amazes me….

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:10pm
  31. Truly sickening and appalling, but I’m not surprised. Like another poster mentioned, I’m also beginning to think he is a heartless, self-absorbed sociopath.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:12pm
  32. OMG I am so scared he will get elected!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:13pm
  33. Can you imagine? We actually live in a world where some people are so hateful toward what they don’t understand, that they would deny some the opportunity to visit their sick partner. Makes me want to cry.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:15pm
  34. how about we put the rights of heterosexual couples to visit their dying partners up to states to decide. of course that would never happen

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:16pm
  35. I wonder if he’d agree to re-enact the Jim Crow Laws? May as well under his rule.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:17pm
  36. The whole state-by-state thing is ridiculous. Either same-sex couples deserve the right to visit their loved ones in the hospital or they don’t. Mitt seems to be missing the fact that humans are involved in his decisions.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:18pm
  37. That guy would say anything to get elected. Then, he claims he wants to be the president of all Americans (except LGBTs, women, latinos, African Americans, and other visible minorities who would vote for the Democrats anyways).

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:21pm
  38. Ridiculous!!!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:21pm
  39. This is cruelty you mean to tell me that the LGBT community still has to suffer the indignity of hatred and stereotypes in a time when the hospitals should offer consolation I doubt anyone can cut through the red tape fast enough to say your final goodbye their acts of cruelty would force people to either die with their lived one at home without medical care or to reach out with their dying breath and find nothing..

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:23pm
  40. Mr. Romney you are the worst example of a compassionate human being and you claim to be a man of faith. Please people read the article above and decide for yourself. How cruel can a person be that would deny anyone from being allowed to be with their loved one at such a tragic time. unbelievable!!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:23pm
  41. Kiss my ass… I’d really like to tell you what I think of you and your ignorant mother (begins wit an f) ideas.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:29pm
  42. Omgosg! How can you say such a thing? Goodness! I truly hope people aren’t voting on this man! This is just the ugly est. States like VA would love for this to happen..

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:30pm
  43. i keep telling people hes the antichrist

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:32pm
  44. The very fact that he “thinks” he and his ilk should be able to “decide” for others whom will and will not be allowed to visit loved ones in the hospital shows that they are intrinsically evil.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:32pm
  45. Classic example of white, straight male privilege.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:33pm
  46. I only have one thing to say Fuck you

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:41pm
  47. He is so stupid!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:42pm
  48. fucking idiot!!!!!!!:(

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:42pm
  49. I hate this man. He is going to ruin us.. -.-

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:59pm
  50. Be sure that u and ur partner fill out advanced directives….this will cover u and ur partner when it cones to medical decisions..etc

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:09pm
  51. ok this douch bag need’s to shut the fuck up and quiet i dont like him he need’s to stand down

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:14pm
  52. My god!!! Thats horrible!!!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:17pm
  53. What an ass

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:21pm
  54. This guy is a dick. I’m sure his attitude will come back and bite him in the ass. It always does

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:36pm
  55. So disturbing :(.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:38pm
  56. Vote people it is not over yet!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 2:59pm
  57. Chicken ass ! Brush it off to State level so you don’t have to state where you stand

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:02pm
  58. UUGH! LMAO! these people that think like this….will run themselves outta town :) <3

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:07pm
  59. wtf?

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:08pm
  60. No the Pres. has already made it acceptable for gays to have visitation rights. And Why does anyone have to decide it SHOULD BE A GIVEN? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHO I CAN AND CAN’T LOVE?

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:09pm
  61. Friggin a$$hole

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:14pm
  62. I’ll be voting. Pardon my language but F*** Romney

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:16pm
  63. What a vile piece of snake shit Romney is. Satan couldn’t be more proud of him

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:19pm
  64. He is a mormon, the mormons even think masturbation is as in – no wonder he is do tight assed.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:19pm
  65. I couldn’t help but scoff when i read the part about hospital visitation… my parents kicked me out and when i found myself in the hospital they never even came to visit, as it was punishment for my sins.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:21pm
  66. Don’t leave that to the states……think N.C., Minn., Miss., Alabama etc.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:22pm
  67. I can never understand how so many Republicans believe that the answers to all social issues is that it should be left up to the states. From healthcare, to abortion, to immigration to immigration yet, everyone forgets that having 50 different ways of handling an issues doesn’t mean that issue will be solved in the correct way. It also amazes me that Republicans forget how our country went to war against ourselves over states rights, and how predominantly southern states took so long to enact desegregation laws!

All of this points back to the same thing, leaving any issue to 50 different states will result in inequity across the nation. With all of the inequality America faces as a whole, why would anyone want to add insult to injury preventing same sex couples hospital visitation? It’s worse enough these couples still can’t get married in some states and are discriminated against at the federal level!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:23pm
  68. Romney, If I could DENY you your visitation rights to your sick wife I would do so without hesitation. Maybe then after you scream, kick, cry and tell me how much you love your family and that I hold no right to deny you your visitation rights in the hospital would you begin to understand that this is what the PEOPLE you want to REPRESENT go through every day because you don’t like who these people love. Some might call me mean for saying that but I call it reality.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:33pm
  69. Thank you Jed. I’d school you on your bible but I can tell by your little speech, it’s too difficult to show you the truth according to your own beliefs. All I’ll say is, God bless…..

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:37pm
  70. Romney should just run on “Jim Crow Laws” platform and make it simple

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:38pm
  71. This is just sickening!!! I really hope that he doesn’t win! He is a very heartless!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:44pm
  72. I cite a few things Jed, I’m already growing bored.
    Doesn’t your bible say, judge not lest ye be judged? I hope there are no skeletons in your closet. I suspect there are, I’ll cite later.
    Doesn’t your own bible say that your God gave man free will? If you take away that free will aren’t you going against your own God?
    I get the impression that you can be quite pushy with your beliefs. If you’re trying to be God-like, which is normally the goal of every Christian and I would never fault you for. But didn’t Jesus, out of your bible, plant seeds and allow them to grow? I’m sure he wasn’t pushy.
    Finally, I promised to cite skeletons in your closet. Science has proven that homophobia comes from the individuals own inclination towards homosexual behavior. Jed, are you coming out of the closet? It’s cool if you are. We would gladly welcome you into our community.
    For a side note, I’m refusing your friend request. I only add people I know personally. No offense…

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:51pm
  73. Be sure to watch till the last second ;)

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:53pm
  74. Oh nevermind, Jed, you rescinded your friend request

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:53pm
  75. Hmm where did Jed go? I’m disappointed. I was hoping for a good argument……..

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:55pm
  76. Whos this Jed character? Is he a hit and run christian troll.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:56pm
  77. of course he will cowar to responsibility, and shirk it off to the states. When he gets in office, he won’t cowar any more. He will use his “religion” as an excuse to reverse all the freedoms for which we have come so far. Vote Obama!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 3:58pm
  78. Brian, not sure. I saw reference to him on other threads. Comical……

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 4:09pm
  79. Why should the states decide at all? Shouldn’t out be up to the patient!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 4:15pm
  80. @Shane, I agree with your point. However, what if you and your same sex partner were vacationing, lets say in Chicago. You live in New York.
    NY supports marriage equality, lets say. Also, lets say, Chicago does not. You’re in an accident and your partner is in a coma as a result.
    How does he express his desire to have you present at all times? You’re from NY, so documents weren’t necessary and who plans for the worst to happen on vacation?

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 4:23pm
  81. this is disgusting. Romny couldnt be more stupid if he tried. If he wins this election, I’m moving to Canada

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 4:31pm
  82. What is wrong with people visiting each other… So over this crap!!!!!!!! If they are a same sex couple, respect that and give them the same rights as hetero couples. Grow up already.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 5:21pm
  83. so my humanity exists one piece of land and not another, boy howdy the cherokee nation is going to be pissed that we havent fucking learned anything.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 6:05pm
  84. Wow… Seriously? Really… Really now… Seriously?!

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 8:26pm
  85. What a looser this guy is.

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 8:27pm
  86. After making decisions in our household for nearly 25 years, Romney is going to tell me that the state of North Carolina can tell me if I can make decisions concerning my wife’s medical condition at the hospital, does that even make any sense whatsoever. What the hell is wrong with people, why would you even want to deny someone the right to be beside of their loved one, how cruel of a human being can you be.

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 at 5:26am
  87. As I sit here for the 3rd day in a row in my Hospital bed, I can’t imagine what it would be like if my partner of 7 years could not visit me. Or for that matter our 14yr old foster son. It angers me that bigots like Romney and others would have me sit here alone without my partner and family. Don’t expect me to respect your religion if your religion tells you to interfere with my right to have the loved ones of my choice visit me in this time of need. I’d like Mitt to take my place and see what it’s like to sit here alone…

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 at 6:07am