Megachurch pastor: Nobody is born gay, sexual orientation is a modern construct

KYLE MANTYLA | Right Wing Watch
Friday, October 5, 2012

Recently, Jim Garlow, pastor of the Skyline Church, an evangelical Christian megachurch located in La Mesa, Calif., sat down with theologian and author Wayne Grudem for an hour-long discussion on “Biblical Issues for This Election” that was based on a document (pdf) Grudem put together comparing the positions of the Democratic and Republican parties.

During the wide-ranging discussion, the two spent a good deal of time on the topic of marriage equality which, not surprisingly, they both vociferously oppose, as Garlow explained that “sexual orientation” doesn’t really exist and is just a modern phenomenon cooked up in the last few years.

As such, nobody is really born gay, and though some may have a “pernicious tendency towards same-sex attraction,” that doesn’t mean they have to act on it, just as “every health heterosexual male … has a pernicious tendency towards polygamy” but doesn’t act on that or seek legal endorsement and approval for it:

© Right Wing Watch. An LGBTQ Nation media partner.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. ugh, sickening :(

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:03pm
  2. Oh, good! So Sodom and Gomorrah were *not* our fault after all!!! :-{P}

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:05pm
  3. If no one is born gay, than no one is born straight either.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:05pm
  4. WHAT A ASS HOLE GET YOU HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT JERK

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:05pm
  5. Of course they say shit like this. Modern religion is big business and this brings headlines and $$.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:05pm
  6. Sexual orientation isn’t a construct, but sexuality IS. Two different things. And no, studies show a significant genetic component in sexual orientation. Get it right!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:06pm
  7. wow lo haha ya thats why back way before technology started ppl were gay i dont think that was modern.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:06pm
  8. Unfortunately stupidity is not a modern construct either . . .

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:06pm
  9. Idiot! He better read some books and then open his stupid mind to world! I am gay! I am born this way, never been able to be with a man! So is this modern conduct born with me Mr stupid pastor?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:07pm
  10. You’ve got your head so far up your butt, you can’t even see the real world. Prick.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:07pm
  11. This tired old bullshit is like a vampire…it just won’t die. The only choice we have in being gay is whether we are accepting, proud,healthy and comfortable with who and what we are, or a bitter,hateful self loathing hot mess…and isn’t this true with anyone?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:07pm
  12. Closed minded dingbats :(.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:08pm
  13. Who cares what the bible says, it’s a fictional book full of fictional characters.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:08pm
  14. It doesnt matter what people like to believe or not belive! I know in my heart that I was born gay! This was not a choice! Did you choose to be straight?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:09pm
  15. If homosexuality is a “modern construct”, then why are there passages in the bible with homosexuals in them? Surely a pastor knows this, and is therefore just using his own personal beliefs to further marginalize the gay population.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:09pm
  16. its not a modern construct at all. Its been going down for thousands of years and even animals display that same behavior.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:09pm
  17. No one is born bigoted. Bigotry is a societal construct, resulting from poor parenting, insufficient education, lack of empathy, and deliberate, willful ignorance.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:09pm
  18. Religion gives some people license to lie.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:09pm
  19. i am opposed to the word orientation honestly. you get a new job you go through orientation to be taught to do the job. i wasnt taught to be gay i was born gay i had the same sex attraction at 5 and if God is a man of his word, then he doesnt suffer the little children!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:10pm
  20. To some degree he’s right. We didn’t have a name for sexual orientation until quite recently. Just like we didn’t have a word for radiation, or attention deficit disorder, or a host of other things, before around a hundred years ago. Dosnt mean these things didn’t exist, it just means we didn’t know much about them.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:10pm
  21. Its not the life we were born with, its the life that we chose by our own decision:-))

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:11pm
  22. Oh whatever. If it weren’t for the fact that we have to keep up with those we need to be vigilant against, I’d say we shouldn’t even give them the attention they so richly DON’T deserve.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:13pm
  23. I always love how straight people know for sure that homosexuality is “chosen” very strange!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:13pm
  24. @ troy i agree except the rake in the money and dont pay taxes, and @ jokie read the bible carefully it says sodom and gommorah were destroyed because of spiritual wickedness not gays

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:14pm
  25. Christianity is a new construct in the greater scheme of human existence

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:14pm
  26. Sexuality as an IDENTITY period (gay & heterosexual) are *MODERN* ccostructs. Sexual attraction & behavior is NOT modern-look to the animal world for that evidencce. Maybe this ‘Pastor’ should READ a few books

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:15pm
  27. NOBODY is born HOMOPHOBIC !! NOBODY IS BORN CHRISTIAN !!

These prejudices are instilled by bigoted parents !!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:15pm
  28. He is speaking strictly from a “biblical perspective”, not a sociological one. And from that position, you can’t debate him. Well, you could, but neither of you would convince the other.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:15pm
  29. Isn’t there a way to rid ourselves of these self proclaimed prophets who use religion and the Bible against other tax paying citizens? I just can’t believe that someone can’t come up with a way to start silencing them and the harm that the do. We know that they make a mockery out of Christianity. We also know that these megachurches are in it for the money. We have to find a way to rid ourselves of these horrible and dangerous people!!!!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:16pm
  30. Preacher man, Your ignorance is offensive and your homophobia makes you ugly.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:18pm
  31. truthfully who the fuck cares about what this guys says. hes a whack job and no one really needs to listen. he has no more connection to God than the rest of us and quite frankly, I like my connection than his.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:18pm
  32. If thats true then why did Jesus Christ say gays were born that way. He said it Matthew 19:11&12.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:18pm
  33. If sexual orientation is a modern construct, then how does the Bible have an opinion on it?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:18pm
  34. Yo Pastor… No one is listening to you, go back to seminary for a few years and report back.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:18pm
  35. Idiot.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:20pm
  36. This man is a preacher. Not a qualified psychologist who has created case studies with results that he can analyze and come to this conclusion. It’s only his personal feelings on the subject. His feelings are based on a poor biased literal interpretation of the bible. Let these kinds people have their religion of hate and discrimination. I choose to follow a Jesus who was inclusive of all people. Period.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:22pm
  37. Mythology and politics don’t mix.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:25pm
  38. I know why things like this bother me,its because it is a personal attack on me.What I dont understand is how it DOESNT bother everyone.Not just this guy but the dozens of vile things these church leaders are lying to their flocks about,when it comes to the gay community.I know the hetrosexual community dont all have a dog in this race but I am sure if I was old enough to be in the churches back in the day when the leaders where using a lot of the same horrable things to keep the black people from being considered equal.Or when they used the bible to explain that God didnt want races to mix,I really hope I would have been strong enough to stand up and say they where wrong then….And they ARE wrong NOW.People say you cant compare discrimination based race to it based on sexuality because people cant help what color they are born…I say EXACTLY….You cant, but that didnt stop people from discriminating against these people not too long ago.NOW most people see how ridiculess it is to degrade someone for their color,but not long ago the same sort of people that degrade us using the bible also used the same bible to explain why it was ok to have slaves and to not allow people of different races from getting married.I feel in my heart not long from now our grandchildren wont understand what the big deal is in who people love.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:26pm
  39. Holy shit-did any conservative take a history class?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:26pm
  40. Yeah, history tells us nothing about the human race…. I always find it interesting that people think that history started when they were born..

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:29pm
  41. Another stupid moron.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:32pm
  42. Don’t worry, he’ll come back as a mule. Just as stubborn as he is now.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:32pm
  43. People are born gay…

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:33pm
  44. Yet another White supremacist homophobe thumping his King James Version – I’m so thankful that there are self-righteous dumbasses out there to set us all straight!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:34pm
  45. DEFINING sexual orientation is a modern construct

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:39pm
  46. Homosexual has been a scientific classifacation of human beings before the church even existed. What?!?! Trust ancient science? YES, in this modern world we often do, because it work. geometry is ancient, a large part of mathematics is ancient. Yes yes, scientific classifacation of humanity.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:46pm
  47. complete and total moron. i’m not gay myself and i personally think that either you’re either born gay or born straight. That isn’t a choice like some people believe. i don’t know where he gets the idea that sexual orientation doesn’t exist. as long as humans have walked the earth and learned what they liked there has been some semblence of sexual orientation. if that didn’t exist how would we know what we liked better. this guy is a nutjob and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:50pm
  48. So is he saying that being gay is a choice? If so, he might be the dumbest person in the universe then. I couldn’t imagine CHOOSING to be gay.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:52pm
  49. So according to this “pastor” the Romans and Greeks never existed, OR we are the Romans/Greeks? What an imagination some people (don’t) have.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 6:53pm
  50. No one is a born biggot either. I refuse to engage idiots who think their reality has to be mine. I know I am loved. I know I am whole and need no one to tell me otherwise.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:00pm
  51. I went to college with Jim Garlow back in the 70s!! Wow! What a reality check, yet not really unexpected.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:00pm
  52. There’s nothing wrong with choice. Jesus would know me by the word Saris

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:01pm
  53. I wonder how many times hes fucked the choir boy

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:07pm
  54. So ignorant. I’m really over this stupid sh*t.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:07pm
  55. Dork.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:13pm
  56. Not worth worrying about.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:16pm
  57. Ancient greeks and romans that is all.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:21pm
  58. Is he a gay man in order to say that? :)))))))))

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:22pm
  59. Nobody tells me to be gay, I happened to be gay because since I’m born that way. That’s how it is. It’s impossible that Gays makes me like I’m possession by Evil. Nope, I don’t see nothing!. That’s what some traditional Religious thinks. I just fall in love with MAN because it’s how I feel. It’s just LOVE IS LOVE feeling that’s it!.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:28pm
  60. What a douchebag

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:31pm
  61. Idiot…plain and simple! I have lost all tolerance for these moronic straight people telling me that I’m “not right” in some way! Here is a thought…kiss my gay ass you freak!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:37pm
  62. I have always hated this choice argument. I’d like to think it would cease to be an argument if we stopped engaging it. The audacity here is the heterosexist presumption that if I HAD a choice, I would be heterosexual, because it’s somehow better. Well, fuck that. Guess what preacher man? How about, I’m gay cuz this is America, and if I want to pursue mate marry and die with someone of the same gender, I GET TO. Period. If you don’t like it, you can get bent.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:38pm
  63. HE IS WRONG!!!!!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:46pm
  64. I NEVER CHOSE TO BE ME MYSELF AND I ,BUT WHO I AM MAKES ME AS A WHOLE

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:47pm
  65. AND HE KNOWS THIS BECAUSE ?… he s been through it, i guess

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 7:57pm
  66. bigot hater douchebag another christian extremest. Very anti American

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 8:01pm
  67. Cool, I’ll just tell him he shouldn’t act on his desire to get at his wife’s booty.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 8:13pm
  68. REALLY?? I guess he has 1st time experience

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 8:17pm
  69. …What? Pretty sure I’ve been gay since birth… I’ve never liked the opposite sex in that manner xD Don’t know who he’s trying to fool…

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 8:29pm
  70. Someone doesn’t know their history very well…

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 8:42pm
  71. You sir are the very reason why some should be swallowed

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 9:16pm
  72. Sexual orientation is definitely a construct, but i wouldn’t necessarily consider it to be modern. I chose to construct an orientation called chrisism, and it is uniquely formulated just for me. I highly recommend losing social constructs because we can never live up to them. They also make us feel less than and then, we over compensate. Neither side of the argument is correct, sorry kids.

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 9:36pm
  73. What an idiot…tired of listening to fools who know nothing. Considering the constant battering from people like you sir, If most gay people had a choice, do u think they would choose to be gay?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 10:43pm
  74. we aren’t all born str8 either so it looks like his words are pointless!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:27pm
  75. who would ever “choose” a lifestyle that gets them beaten, raped, made fun of and/or murdered?

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:29pm
  76. I used to think people weren’t born stupid but …

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:33pm
  77. IGNORAMUS!!!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:35pm
  78. Didn’t science prove the Gay gene existed or is it still a hypothesis? That would shut him up!

Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 at 11:41pm
  79. silly twit

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 2:30am
  80. This pastor needs therapy really bad. Can someone help him before ?he digs is own grave and can’t get out of it.

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 3:43am
  81. He got his qualifications on the back of a cereal box.

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 4:35am
  82. Who cares if gay people are born gay or choose gay. Either way it’s OK. This argument is so fucking stale. Do we condemn religious people who choose their religion? No. So, why belittle LGBT people if it was a choice. If it is a choice, I think it’s an awesome choice.

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 5:00am
  83. One Word. Clueless!

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 5:03am
  84. This side is a genius!

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 6:44am
  85. No one is born perfect, just innocent!!!!

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 8:47am
  86. He must be gay and trying to hide it!!!

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 8:48am
  87. AND YOU’RE AN IDIOT WITH AN AUDIENCE!

Posted on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 9:26am