WASHINGTON — The man accused of opening fire and shooting a security guard inside the offices of the Family Research Council in August, will face seven new charges when he appears in federal court on Friday, including committing an act of terrorism while armed.
Floyd Corkins is scheduled to return to court Friday after the federal grand jury assigned to his case returned a superseding indictment Tuesday that added seven D.C. charges to the federal ones.
Among the charges levied under the District of Columbia Anti-Terrorism Act of 2002, are one count each of committing an act of terrorism while armed, attempted murder while armed, aggravated assault, second-degree burglary and three counts of possession of a firearm.
Corkins had previously pleaded not guilty to gun and assault charges in connection with the shooting of Family Research Council employee Leo Johnson, wounding Johnson, a security guard, in the lobby of the FRC after law enforcement officials said Corkins told him (Johnson) that he didn’t like the group’s policies before shooting him.
In August, Corkins pleaded not guilty to the earlier charges against him, which include the federal charge of interstate transportation of a firearm and ammunition and the D.C. charges of assault with intent to kill while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.
Filed under: District of Columbia