Celebrities

What Rupert Everett says he really meant about gay parents

P.S.: Marriage is 'a waste of time ... and beyond tragic'
Sunday, September 30, 2012

British actor Rupert Everett, who stunned the LGBT community two weeks ago when he told London’s Sunday Times that he could not “think of anything worse” for children than being raised by two gay fathers, has more to say on that subject, and same-sex marriage, as he peddles his new memoir, “Vanished Years.”

Rupert Everett

In his latest interview, appearing in The Guardian this past week, Everett speaks with Decca Aitkenhead to “explain what he meant.”

“For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that’s where my problems in this particular area come from.

“For me, personally, the last thing I would like in the entire world would be to go through cocktailing my sperm with my boyfriend and finding some grim couple in Ohio who are gluten-free and who you pay $75,000 to have your baby. To me it feels absolutely hideous. But that’s me, just me. I’m not having a go at gay couples who do.

“I think if Elton and David want to have babies, that’s wonderful. I think we should all do what we want. Isn’t there a middle way, where you can just say, ‘Not for me, but it doesn’t matter’? But no, everything’s sort of turned into al-Qaida. I’m sure I’m going to be nail-bombed. David Furnish is probably going to send Patrick Cox with a bomb and blow up the theatre.”

Aitkenhead writes that “Everett has always blamed all his false starts and failures on Hollywood’s prejudice against an openly gay leading man.”

Any suggestion that self-sabotage might have played a part has made Everett terribly indignant in the past, she writes, referring to when Everett — at the very height of his “My Best Friend’s Wedding” renaissance — scandalized America by telling a tabloid about his days as a “rent boy.”

And on the subject of marriage, Everett, 53, has this:

“Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don’t want to have queens getting married. It’s kind of understandable that they don’t; they’re crusty old calcified freaks.

“But why do we want to get married in churches? I don’t understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It’s grotesque. It’s just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later.

“It’s just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster.”

Since his first interview, Everett said he has received hate mail and death threats.

“All the queens out there now have it in for me. I’m loathed by them,” he told the Telegraph.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. Well, aren’t we just a fucking ray of sunshine, Rupert.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:03pm
  2. Who cares what that ass has to say?

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:05pm
  3. Rupert do yourself a favor and STFU! He comes off as an idiot every time he opens his mouth!

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:05pm
  4. Oh, and divorce is not always ‘inevitable’.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:06pm
  5. I’m glad this washed up douchebag doesn’t speak for me.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:11pm
  6. give me a freaking break dude. the next words out of his mouth are gonna be “i chose to be gay” … like cynthia nixon. he should just jump into a space shuttle and be transported to mars… thats where he belongs. idiot.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:11pm
  7. I find Rupert Everett such a narrow minded jerk. I to don’t every want to get married but I understand that not everyone is the same or thinks the same. We live in a world where everyone should be allowed go love the person of there choosing and should be able go express their love in the day the choose. He comes across as a sadestic old queen.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:29pm
  8. Grumpy grumperton, huh?

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:52pm
  9. He’s a has been circuit bitch. He’s really saying bitters queens like him shouldn’t be parents. That is so true! Our family is just fine and our daughter couldn’t be loved more!

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 5:56pm
  10. Why don’t he just admit he’s a mediocre acting talent and move on with his life? Seriously don’t give a flying fuck about what he says. It’s totally irrelevant. He already screwed up, now he’s just digging a deeper hole.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:01pm
  11. @ Ronn Brown YOURE RIGHT

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:09pm
  12. Wow! He gives his opinion, makes out clear that it’s only his view and implies it’s screwy and you people crucify him?
    So, what you’re saying is, the world has to tolerate who you are and what your choices are in life, but you don’t have to tolerate anyone else’s opinion?
    Nice job!

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:10pm
  13. oh he’s engaging (us).

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:25pm
  14. I see that, Donald! Lol

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:28pm
  15. Take your own internalized homophobia on yourself and quit projecting it onto others in the GLBT community. Thank You!

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:58pm
  16. too late!

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:12pm
  17. seriously man, be grateful you even had parents. #1stworldproblems

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:20pm
  18. Rupert Everett – I had to strain my memory to even know who he was/is. The gay community instead of giving him publicity should let this decrepit self-hater sink back into obscurity.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:36pm
  19. He can have his opinions and I can have mine, which disagree with his. That’s life.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 9:08pm
  20. i agree with him for the most part,,, i also have never thought gays should want to be in the military. but i am perfectly happy for all my friends who do want all things hetro,,

Posted on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 12:06am
  21. Give some SERIOUS thoughts to your opinion and how you express them before you do.

Posted on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 7:20am