Schwarzenegger reveals he officiated two gay weddings while Calif. governor

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who maintained a public position of opposing same-sex marriage, revealed in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes” on Sunday that he presided over two ceremonies of gay couples while in office.

Schwarzenegger, who was California’s governor from 2003 until early 2011, publicly opposed legalizing same-sex marriage in the state, twice vetoing legislation that would have done just that.

Arnold Schwarzenegger. (CBS)

But in his interview with CBS’ Lesley Stahl, Schwarzenegger said he officiated two same-sex wedding ceremonies while in office — one involving his chief of staff, Susan Kennedy, and the other, an assistant who worked for him.

But Schwarzenegger adds that doesn’t mean he’s for gay marriage.

“I don’t have to be for gay marriage. I’m for that she (Kennedy) gets the kind of wedding and the kind of ceremony that I had when I got married with Maria (Shriver),” he said.

“If they want to get married, let them get married.”

In May 2008, the California Supreme Court ruled that the state’s ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional, opening a brief window in which gay and lesbian couples could legally marry in California. Months later, voters approved Proposition 8, amending the state’s Constitution to include such a prohibition.

The ban was overturned by a federal judge in 2010, and a review of the case is currently before the U.S. Supreme Court, which could decide to hear an appeal during the current term, which opens Monday.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. so…is he for it or is he against it?…you cant have it both way, you sack of shit!

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 6:58pm
  2. He want an adda boy?

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:00pm
  3. He contradicts himself: “I, personally, always said that marriage is between a man and a woman.”

“If they want to get married, let them get married.”

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:04pm
  4. “I, personally, always said that marriage is between a man and a woman,” Schwarzenegger said. “But I would never enforce my will on people.”

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:07pm
  5. hipocritaaaaaaaaaa

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:14pm
  6. Well he can run for Congress (I doubt he will) But not President. His being governor was a publicity stunt, my opinion.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:19pm
  7. He can personally be opposed to something, yet not let his beliefs interfere with other people’s rights or the will of the people. That’s not hypocritical. That’s being a decent politician. Although if he really didn’t wanna enforce his will, he should not have vetoed the legislation.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:25pm
  8. Well isn’t that special Arnold. We suppose to think your for marriage equality now? Pfffft, PMSL

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:35pm
  9. two-faced

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:39pm
  10. interesting

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:39pm
  11. I supported him and thank god he had the compassion to wed these couples. I respect that he is trying to be honest now and move forward to gain his families respect,as we all hope to have from family members

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 7:49pm
  12. Even in Austria thats called a HYPOCRITE

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 8:07pm
  13. I think this is false.

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 8:19pm
  14. Thank you, Nina Lewis. :)

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 8:21pm
  15. That’s. Just to make his Rep partyl.com.lookgood

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 11:04pm
  16. He says he wouldn’t enforce HIS WILL on people wanting to get married, yet he VETOED IT again and again. What a two-faced buffoon.

Posted on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 4:35am
  17. LOSER piece of SHIT! But he vetoed the Sam Sex Marriage law! I guess his failed married would be considered KARMA!

Posted on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 12:16pm
  18. if anyone sees this, im just wondering can you help, my friends have more or less dithched me, i have resorted to drinking, how do i dealwith being a young homosexual just out of the colset

Posted on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 2:21pm