Ann Romney: Marriage equality, abortion ‘not what this election is about’

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Ann Romney, wife of GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, on Friday declined several opportunities to discuss her position on same-sex marriage and abortion, calling them “hot button issues” that are not important to voters.

In an interview with KWQC-TV in Davenport, Iowa, Mrs. Romney, speaking via satellite, said repeatedly that marriage equality and abortion are issues that are not “what this election is going to be about,” despite the Republican party platform that specifically calls for a federal marriage amendment and a federal ban on abortion.

Ann Romney

Following are excerpts from the interview transcript:

KWQC-TV Anchor David Nelson: “Here in Iowa, as you know, same-sex marriage is legal. Do you believe a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner?”

Ann Romney: “You know, I’m not going to talk about the specific issues. I’m going to let my husband speak on issues. I’m here to really just talk about my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know, those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting issue is going to be at this election. That, it’s going to be about the economy and jobs.

Nelson: “Do you believe that employer-provided health insurance should be required to cover birth control?”

Romney: “Again, you’re asking me questions that are not about what this election is going to be about. This election is going to be about the economy and jobs.”

Nelson: “Well, a Pew Research poll shows those issues are very important to women, ranking them either “important” or “very important.”

Romney: “You know, but I personally believe, and this is what I’m hearing from women all across the country that they are going to look for the guy that’s going to pull them out of the weeds and get them job security and a brighter future for their children. That’s the message.

“Listen, I’ve been across this country, I’ve been for a year-and-a-half on the campaign trail. I’ve spoken with thousands of women and they are telling me, they’re telling me a couple of things, one they say they’re praying for me which is really wonderful, and then they’re saying, ‘please help, please help. We are so worried about our jobs.’

“So really if you want to try to pull me off of the other messages it’s not going to work because I know because I’ve been out there.”

Nelson: “Well, I don’t want to pull you off any message. You just told a reporter who was questioning you in Cleveland that you want women to have a secure and stable future. I asked you about marriage and whether lesbian mothers should be allowed to marry. Isn’t marriage a part of creating a stable future?”

Romney: “You know, again, I’m going to talk to you about the economy and about job creation and about how my husband is the right person for the right time. This is going to be an election that is very important for women, and we are going to make sure that their economic prosperity is more certain under a President Romney.”

You can watch the entire interview at KWQC-TV.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. sigh

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:50pm
  2. “I got mine, fuck you” extends to basically all their positions.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:51pm
  3. O.k. human rights then. Don’t worry anymore Ann. You’ve shared all you need to share with we people.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:52pm
  4. cant stand the Rommey family hot button issue its a main issue a big issue

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:52pm
  5. Go back to giving orders to your servants and telling us how being a full-time mother is a job.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:53pm
  6. Of course not, and nor are the troops in harm’s way. Keep it classy, Ann Romney.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:54pm
  7. yea…i imagine that since her uterus is a dry, deserted place with only a stray tumble weed blowing through now and then, abortion/birth control isn’t a priority for her. and, since the wax figure she is married too is the opposite sex, gay marriage is an insignificant thing in her world.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:54pm
  8. Yes, cause it’s about Ann Romney’s sense of entitlement to be FLOTUS. What “you people” worry about is immaterial. /snark

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:55pm
  9. Not to her because it doesn’t affect the bitch! The people who are affected by those issues and the economy and are still out of work do care. Her rich Stepford wife ass doesn’t have to worry about any of it, so she should shut her fucking trap!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:55pm
  10. I mean, it’s not. It’s about everything. Luckily, the guys on the right side of this issue are on the right side of everything else :)

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:55pm
  11. Fuck her

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:55pm
  12. Matt, that may help her, ironically.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:57pm
  13. Sure, because she doesn’t need an abortion or desire to marry another woman. These things are not issues FOR HER.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:57pm
  14. what the hell goes on in her brain!!!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:57pm
  15. She needs to just go away now.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:57pm
  16. What a BITCH!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:58pm
  17. Sorry, Ann but it is a part, a good part of it.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:58pm
  18. Ann Romney is a cunt!!…PERIOD!!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:58pm
  19. Yes, that is partially wht this election is about, though I would expand the concerns to equality in all areas for all Americans. If she and her lot don’t realize that, then they are not only ignorant, but more dangerous than I fear.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:58pm
  20. Lmfao @ Kelly Kendrick! That was perfect!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:58pm
  21. whatever anne

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:59pm
  22. I like that, Bart!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:59pm
  23. I can see someone in her position would say that but truly there are many social issues in this election that can be changed/corrupted by the christian extremest. We can not let them in office!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:59pm
  24. @Joaquin Stewart. LOL! Too funny!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:59pm
  25. Interestingly enough, if it is not what it is ‘all about’ than it should not be a huge part of your husbands platform to the “God factor’ in order to get votes. Interesting duality their Ms. Romney.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:59pm
  26. Not what it’s about? Maybe not for her. The absolute arrogance for her to declare what the election is about and what it’s not about.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:00pm
  27. Get a clue…..ofcourse it’s not, it’s about WOMEN standing together….I wonder if she’s a real woman?

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:00pm
  28. Can’t discuss civil right issues since her GOP tea bagging party is anti equal rights and living in the 19th century. Can’t she at least talk about the planet Kolob or the magic underwear?

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:01pm
  29. Really? It is ABOUT ALL those things and more. Making me a second class citizen impacts my economic situation and my daughters security and our taxes and feeling proud of thus country and so much more…just like every citizen is intertwined in some way so are these issues….I an a gay man but a weekend right to choose effects me because I love my daughters, my female friends, coworkers, mother in-law…even though I have my degrees supporting education effects me as it build the next generation that will be able to sustain social security when I’m old, my kids need a good education, my nieces and nephews, my straight friends families…get the point, these issues are all related and impact the economy and jobs and if they can’t address them then you don’t belong in the white house….we all are in this together…we are suppose to be the UNITED States

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:01pm
  30. She screwed up so bad at the RNC she is trying anything. Personally when you look in their eyes their is something very wrong. Try it. Look at the Obama’s and then look at them.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:01pm
  31. any one else terrified

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:02pm
  32. Omg I hate auto correct..sorry for errors..weekend = woman’s

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:02pm
  33. How very “Stepford”

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:03pm
  34. My rights that are being denied are an issue. And my body, which the right wing insist on controlling, is an issue.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:03pm
  35. If Queen Ann wants to parade her disdain for the issues that concern MULTITUDES of votors, she should go right ahead. She probably has signed fraudulent income tax returns…if they file jointly, and that makes her as big a probable swindler as her Mittsey.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:04pm
  36. If the issues don’t apply to her than it must not be important!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:04pm
  37. Well said, Michael.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:05pm
  38. take a look into the Mormon religion and you’ll see where the Romney’s stand on mariage equality and every other hot topic issue for the matter. She’s avoiding the topics because she doesn’t agree with them. Mormons take what their given and put in into their own context and feel the need to bring God’s wrath down on others.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:10pm
  39. Financial prosperity is meaningless without social justice and equality. The Republicans don’t get this, which is why they will lose come November.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:13pm
  40. well when you don’t want to treat people as EQUALS it is what the election is ALL ABOUT..STUPID !!!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:14pm
  41. Its the most important part for me

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:14pm
  42. What a despicable excuse for a ‘Christian’ woman.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:15pm
  43. FUCK HER!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:16pm
  44. love it :D

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:17pm
  45. Yeah that’s not what it’s about for HER. But for the general population, ESPECIALLY the LGBTQ population, thats EXACTLY what it’s about.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:18pm
  46. Brilliance in motion . . . showing how out of touch the Romney campaign really is. Oh, and “pulling them out of the weeds”? Seriously? I think she might have just pissed off some of those thousands of women she’s spoken to on the campaign trail! Geesh!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:19pm
  47. WRONG!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:19pm
  48. Planet Kolob will set you free!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:21pm
  49. Oh Ann, still clueless.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:22pm
  50. Rich, white, homophobic bitch. Need I say more?

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:23pm
  51. This lady and her wealthy husband who knows nothing about hardship are going to do wonders for our economy. They are both full of shit.

Obama 2012

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:24pm
  52. The Romneys are clueless.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:26pm
  53. scumbag!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:27pm
  54. Do we really want someone with such a tenuous grasp on reality anywhere NEAR the White House? I think not.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:27pm
  55. i would rather have the right to decide whether or not i want to be pregnant and know there is still a healthcare infrastructure to support my decision than to wait for all the rich pigs to create jobs in between sipping mojitos outside their third beach house.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:27pm
  56. Really now

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:28pm
  57. Ann Romney doesn’t need an abortion or a gay marriage…so of course she isn’t concerned about those things. Speaks volunes about how much she “cares’ about the American people. She is woman who does not think before she speaks. Mrs. Obama has more class in her pinky finger than Ann Romney can ever dream of having.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:28pm
  58. Loathesome cow.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:29pm
  59. What a horrid woman. Takes a devil to marry another devil.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:30pm
  60. WHOA HORSEY thats AL L the GOP is talkign about abortion birth control gay marriage EQUALITY….the GOP has offered NOTHING for the economy except MORE TAX CUTS for the RICH….no plan nothing ..BUT hours of discussion about GAY/WOMEN /FETUS’ nothing more

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:35pm
  61. Ann Romney: Not what this election is about.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:36pm
  62. When you’re actually advocating limiting the rights of millions of Americans? I don’t think so, Skippy!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:39pm
  63. bitty….

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:42pm
  64. Clueless.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:48pm
  65. Ann Romney: dumber by the minute. She & Mittens make a good match then, huh?

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:54pm
  66. Well, maybe not to you…….

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:55pm
  67. Of course she doesn’t want to talk about these issues because she knows they ARE important to voters and she knows her husband is on the wrong side of the issues for forward thinking Americans. Hopefully the voters will correct her misunderstanding in Nov and send her husband back to her.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 2:56pm
  68. It is like a talking to an automaton. You ask her something off script she goes with a default program. Interviewer: “Lesbians, Ann. What do you think about them?” Ann: “I’m. Not. Here. To. Talk. About. People. I. Am. Here. To. Talk. About. Job. Security. Unless. Those. Employees. Are. Gay. Then. Fuck. Them.” Interviewer: “What about woman’s rights?” Ann: “Does. Not. Compute. Please. Ask. About. Job. Security.” Interviewer: “What about equal pay for woman and Job security for gay people.” Ann: “Does. Not. Compute. Self-Destruct. Sequence. Initiated. 10. 9. 8…”

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:04pm
  69. Pardon me Ann, but you don’t get to decide what this election is about.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:28pm
  70. she comes across as an uninformed idiot….

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:30pm
  71. President Obama has our backs and now we need to have his! https://donate.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/2012/mgolojuchjr

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:34pm
  72. BITCH

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:37pm
  73. Is anyone else tired of the politicians telling us what the election is, or is not about? As far as I am concerned, as a citizen, I’m going to vote for the person that will tend to the issues I find important. I wouldn’t hire an accountant to do a sales job just because they told me accounting was what my hiring should be about. I’m not saying that there aren’t other issues that need more immediate attention, but knowing a candidate’s position on issues I find relevant is at the heart of a democratic election.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:38pm
  74. Maybe its not important to her to have her rights taken away but a large majority of us are gonna fight like crazy to have those rights secured.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 3:41pm
  75. If you are not gay…or how about stop saying your going to take away the few rights we have. Tell this to my 5 year old. Greedy self-serving over privileged person!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:02pm
  76. female moron.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:03pm
  77. Well, it sure as hell isn’t about jobs as far as Romney-Ryan are considered. Noooooo! Who I sleep with and what’s going on in my uterus are soooooo much more important than economy.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:18pm
  78. Except yes it is

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:19pm
  79. she can go fuck herself…..they’ve made it about that.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:20pm
  80. Excuse me for having the audacity to think for myself and defend my rights and the rights of the women that your kind promise to take away should you get elected. oh and by the way I know someone whom was raped and shudder to think what their lives would be like if they were forced to have the baby.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:21pm
  81. What a cunt.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 5:28pm
  82. If those issues are not what the election is about, then why does the GOP platform have such strong language against those things? They should have just left them out and stuck to the so called “important” issues only.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 5:43pm
  83. she doesn’t look so great.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 5:57pm
  84. Mrs. Romney must be in denial if she thinks these are not what this election is about. And she must not have talked to that many thousands of women if she truly believes these are not important issues.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 6:11pm
  85. totally clueless and out of touch…no surprise there!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 6:17pm
  86. All LGBT and women should band together against Romney-Ryan and help to ensure Obama wins again!

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 6:21pm
  87. Pee on her.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 6:23pm
  88. I was completely underwhelmed by this “interview”.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 8:05pm
  89. I am really, really over Ann Romney. What about the rest of you guys?

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 8:19pm
  90. Then why is banning both part of their platform?

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:04pm
  91. If it’s not what it’s about, then why are Republicans making such a huge deal out of taking away people’s rights concerning these issues??? She needs to shut up and go back to being a Stepford Wife.

Posted on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 10:11pm
  92. Silly bigots, it’s THEM who started making such a big deal about it!
    Equality is good for society as a whole, as a gay man I am concerned about my rights, about women’s rights, and the rights of other minorities, and about the economy, and about jobs, and about taxes…

Posted on Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 3:39am
  93. OMG…this it totally cringe-worthy! I wonder if they really buy all the crap that they say?

Posted on Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 8:19am