Same-sex couples stage nationwide ‘kiss-in’ to protest anti-gay Chick-fil-A

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Thousands of same-sex couples across the country on Friday gathered outside Chick-fil-A restaurants for a “kiss-in,” just two days after the company reportedly set a sales record when customers flocked to the restaurants to show support for the fast-food chain president’s opposition to gay marriage.

The debacle ignited last month when Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy, in an interview with the Baptist Press, said his company backed “the biblical definition of a family,” and in a follow-up statement said that same-sex marriage is “inviting God’s judgment on our nation.”

The “kiss-in” demonstrations on Friday came just two days after former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a Baptist minister and Fox News pundit, declared Wednesday a Chick-fil-A “appreciation day.”

Some images from Friday’s demonstrations:

Chick-fil-A has come under fire from LGBT activists and advocacy groups since it was first reported last November that the company has donated millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations, hate groups, and organizations that advocate for reparative therapy.

When questioned about the donations, Cathy replied, “Guilty as charged.”

More images from the “kiss-in” demonstrations are here

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. So stupid!!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:11pm
  2. like times 10,000,000. or more.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:11pm
  3. just get over it e cant every one on our side ppl can feel how they want to just dont spend ur money there easy as that

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:12pm
  4. we*

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:12pm
  5. bring the gays out!!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:12pm
  6. I want to say its obnoxious. Cause it is. But then I want to say its like, well fuck you guys this is love. I cant really find the middle ground here. But tbh I wouldn’t want to be kissing my love in front of that place.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:15pm
  7. It’s not just about not eating there.. They are making a point. I love how people like these restaurant chains, can voice their opinions all they want- but if someone objects- They need to get over it, and move on. SORRY! But Freedom of Speech goes both ways- it is not just entitled for one specific group of people. Brush up on the law, before you make negative remarks! Thanks!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:15pm
  8. chick-fil-A sounds like a stupid name……..I would put behind the A, two S’s (Chick-fil-Ass)…sounds gay to me, lololol

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:16pm
  9. good for them! show those chickens what’s up!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:18pm
  10. It ain’t about freedom of speech, it’s about a business funding genocide.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:19pm
  11. Love is love and the lonely and arrogant will forever be alone.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:21pm
  12. Very sad how a place with such a good product can do this.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:21pm
  13. I’m not happy with the actions either side had gone through with. I think we should BLACKOUT chikfila. No mention of them… never again is ideal but at least for 24 hours.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:21pm
  14. These are SO frieking CUUUTE! Keep ‘em going!!! <3

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:22pm
  15. I’m loving all these pictures!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:22pm
  16. So freaking cute and so going to knock gay people down a peg in our fight for equality.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:25pm
  17. This might be hot.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:30pm
  18. There is a difference between freedom of speech and stupidity. Grow up people and stop going down to there level. Me and my partner are just as upset about the whole ordeal but we are not going to prance around in public and act ignorant. Seriously. Get a life.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:35pm
  19. This does nothing, but make us look immature.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:39pm
  20. And what good is this going to do? What’s the point here? I don’t understand what the goal is, because this isn’t going to change anyone’s minds or beliefs. If anything, it’s just going to annoy people and push them further in the direction that they are already going.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:39pm
  21. I was very disappointed in the Tk area. only One’s i seen there was my friend and her wife

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:40pm
  22. WHAT EVER FLICKS THERE BIC, I’M HAPPY FOR THEM, I DONT LIKE CHICK -FIL -A FOOD, IT SUCK.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:43pm
  23. Everyone just go support your local Starbucks on Tuesday, August 7th. To support marriage equality and family values that include ALL families!!!!!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:46pm
  24. I think this is nasty, but everyone has their own opinion

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:55pm
  25. Why is it nasty, shona????
    Why is it nasty, shona?

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:58pm
  26. Shona, you can imagine how we feel when we see “breeders” kissing on TV, the Movies, in the streets, at work, etc. OMG, yuck!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:58pm
  27. To each his own!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:06pm
  28. Kissing in itself is nasty. Sex is really nasty if you think about in a certain way. That’s why we have showers and mouthwash.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:17pm
  29. Maybe that’s why its so fun then :)

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:23pm
  30. 1 there is always a point especaly when its a buissness known to fund anti everything they need to stop doing that, 2 people have a right to stand up against oppression and segrigation wich is what these right wing wankers are funding 3 LGBT and whoever else fits under or in that umberella are takeing a well needed stand for our rights as humans and not second class citizens or treated like shit

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:25pm
  31. I’m 100% in support of love. However most of the LGBT people that I know don’t have a Chick-fil-A anywhere nearby. I would prefer to see people doing something positive, like supporting Starbucks and Target and JCPenney and all the other corporations that have supported LGBT or that have used gay couples in their ads or had gay spokespeople. I love all of the awesome pics, but I think Chick-fil-A has gotten enough free publicity.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:27pm
  32. Umm, where’s the dis-like button? In my opinion this is falling to a level that we are above,and, furthermore I wouldn’t give them the honor. They will answer to the group views in due time.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:30pm
  33. we would kiss every gay in the city if we could ! <3 Bear Dyke!

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 9:32pm
  34. Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    - Albert Einstein

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 10:09pm
  35. Let the bigits show their true colors with the hateful rhetoric…way to go LGBT! Perfect!

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 3:10am
  36. Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 3:30am
  37. I am so delighted that Chick-fil-A stood up to being bullied. Not just that, had the decency to hand out free water to those intolerant of their views. It is refreshing to see an American stand up for a belief and not be beaten into silence by thuggery. Tolerance is no longer enough, now approval is demanded. Excuse me? It cuts both ways.

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 9:00am
  38. To those people calling this childish, immature and stupid, or a variant thereof – you’re apathy is one of the things that’s allowing this to continue to happen. This is not as simple as not spending our money there – this is about standing up for our very right to exist. Since Cathy funnels the money into organizations that want us killed or reprogrammed.

Also, if you are continuing to call it a ‘lifestyle’ can you please check your homophobia at the door? I’m getting a little tired of you folk. Being queer is no more a lifestyle then being straight is. Lifestyle infers choice, and although I won’t deny there are queer folk out there that will claim for them it’s a choice, and I will support them in that, for most of us, we don’t think or feel it is.

@Lorraine Pace – there’s no way to sugar coat this. You’re a fool. You’re calling us, and these protesters bullies, when it’s queer kids, or kids that are perceived to be queer by their peers that are taking their lives. When it’s Cathy funneling his money into groups that want us killed.

You say that tolerance is no longer enough, and I will agree with that, it’s not. But it insinuates that this company is tolerant. Which at no level here have we seen any sort of tolerance. Had they been tolerant, or even indifferent too gays none of this would have happened. None of us would be standing up to be heard and counted by a group that wants to silence us. Permanently.

Finally, although I respect Cathy’s right to spend his money where he wants and to say what he wants. I do not have to respect where he spends it and what he says. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences and I hope that this means in the long run, that Chick-Fil-A goes down for this. I do not, and will not, respect the fact that with the way he’s spending his money he’s telling me he wants me dead.

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 12:27pm