Presidential election poll: LGBT issues see historic political shift

By James Thilman| After Elton
Thursday, August 23, 2012

According to a new poll conducted by Harris Interactive for Logo TV, all political candidates could greatly benefit by supporting equal rights for LGBT Americans.

The survey, conducted earlier this month, polled close to 3000 people, comparing the political leanings of general population likely voters with those of self-identified LGBT voters and indicates that we may have reached a watershed moment for gay rights, confirming what many Americans have already sensed.

Much like the general populace, LGBT voters care about the economy, unemployment, and healthcare. However, the study also indicates that Americans in general consider a candidate’s position on gay rights as highly persuasive when it comes time to enter the voting booth.

When asked whether they would be “more likely,” “less likely,” or “no difference,” 49 percent indicated they would be “more likely” to vote for a candidate who supports legislation to combat anti-gay bullying and 48 percent favored a candidate who supports including gays and lesbians as a protected class in the workplace.

According to the survey, both LGBT and general population voters as a whole currently favor Barack Obama, yet 1-in-5 would cast a ballot for Mitt Romney if he held the same views as Obama on gay rights.

Moreover, 1-in-4 would consider voting for other Republican candidates if the GOP held the same positions on LGBT rights as the Democratic Party.

“This survey documents a political transformation of epic proportions. LGBT rights are no longer a wedge issue in American politics,” said Kenneth Sherrill, Professor Emeritus of Political Science at Hunter College,

“The findings in this survey demonstrate what many Americans have been feeling intuitively,” said Lisa Sherman, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Logo TV.

“To see numbers indicating such dramatic support among significant segments of the voting public for LGBT people is breathtaking – America is filled with allies and champions of gay Americans,” she said.

For a breakdown of the poll results, click here.
For the full survey results, click here.

© After Elton.
An LGBTQ Nation media partner.

Archives: , , , , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. Equality is second :-)

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 7:06am
  2. We want to NOURISH our partnerships. Gay/straight: people have to eat.

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 7:08am
  3. This is a ridiculous story. So, potentially these people might vote Republican?? I highly doubt that.

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 7:24am
  4. I can’t imagine how difficult voting is for LGBT communities – I’m straight and I can’t even find a candidate that I like, much less one that agree on all the big points with me!

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 7:52am
  5. Civil rights ALWAYS before financial issues I will give up my iPhone, my cable, tv, internet, the gym, eating out, even my car before I would give up civil rights!!!

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 8:20am
  6. We need change now! I am hosting a cfa protest in mobile Alabama when the kiss in happened there wasn’t any support here! The news went as far as to say that there are No gay people here! We have to stand and be counted I know there is fear of loosing your friends and maybe jobs but they are trying to get rid of us! Please help my cause and stand with me on sep 15th at 2pm at every cfa in the us! Thank you see my page if interested

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 8:54am
  7. Yes, we are starting to see a shift towards the gay community getting all the rights they deserve. Obama has done a lot for the gay community. He’s repealed DADT, He’s in favor of same sex marriage. We are beginning to see more people put their support behind the gay community. Their is not the change that we need to be seeing but their is improvement and change is slowly happening. Vote For Equality!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 2:16pm
  8. we demand equal rights now

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 2:18pm
  9. Sure I’m worried about the economy but I believe the President is doing all he can to fix it so I’m for giving him the chance to fix it but by far civil rights and seeing ENDA pass is more important to me.

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 2:28pm
  10. Still got a ways to go.

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 3:08pm
  11. We shouldn’t have to pander for rights: Vote Gary Johnson. Vote Libertarian!

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 6:09pm
  12. I’ve never understood the Log Cabins, or anyone else in the LGBT community who voted for Republicans.

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 9:55pm
  13. Never thought I would see it in my lifetime.

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 12:05am
  14. Vote Dem!

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 12:45am
  15. Ron Paiul 2012!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 4:59am
  16. @Mikayla…think Ron does not have a chance but glad there are fans out there that like him…..takes votes from the Reps. Obama 2012!

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 5:42am
  17. If you are lgbt and vote with the Reps, you hate who you are. No one should hate themselves. Just saying

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 5:43am
  18. working together for a common goal,thats based upon integrity,principles. to lead this world out of the chaotic and corrupt state it is in. onto the fundamental values that use to work for us* as a nation. futhermore, to educate other countries on diplomacy,peaceful negotiations,equality.democracy..and free speech without repercussions.as it causes positive change. hrc.org

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 11:18am