Fired gay employee sues Library of Congress

By Lou Chibbaro Jr.
Washington Blade
Saturday, August 4, 2012

A gay man has charged in a lawsuit filed on Friday that he was fired in April from his job at the Library of Congress after being harassed and humiliated for more than a year by a supervisor who repeatedly quoted biblical passages condemning homosexuality.

Michael Key, Washington Blade

Peter TerVeer

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, charges that management analyst Peter TerVeer, 30, suffered employment discrimination based on his gender, gender stereotyping and his religious beliefs in violation of Title VII of the U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The lawsuit charges that his supervisor John Mech and library official Nicholas Christopher, Mech’s immediate supervisor, further violated Title VII by retaliating against TerVeer when he attempted to challenge their actions in an internal library complaint.

“Mech imposed his sex stereotypes and fundamentalist religious beliefs on homosexuality upon the plaintiff, resulting in a hostile working environment,” the lawsuit alleges.

In addition, the suit charges the library with violating TerVeer’s Fifth Amendment rights to due process and equal protection; violating an internal Library of Congress policy banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and religious beliefs; and violating the Library of Congress Act, a federal law that calls for the library to consider decisions related to employees “solely” on an employee’s “fitness” for his or her job duties.

Library of Congress spokesperson Gayle Osterberg didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

Continue reading at the Washington Blade

© Washington Blade. Reprinted by permission.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. alright

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 5:02pm
  2. How fucking disgusting. He’d better win. I can’t believe people.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 5:04pm
  3. Hopefully they can make a nexus otherwise hard to prove he was fired because he was gay.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 5:05pm
  4. my husband and I were just cut off after our first drink at a restaurant. Time to file suit.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 5:15pm
  5. I worked under a woman who just harassed me to no end. It never came up as the fact that I was gay but never the less I know first hand what this man went through. I hope he wins his case and the two that cause all the pain is fared.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 5:37pm
  6. Chick-fil-A know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make THEM dangerous.

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 6:01pm
  7. I really don’t think it was right of the other person to be bombarding him with bible verses, that supposedly homosexuality is wrong. When I was pregnant with my oldest I went into preterm labor, the nurse said I would have felt better if I had waited. I just said “well one, I’m an adult,two you’re my nurse and not my pastor, and three it’s none of your business anyway.”

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 8:04pm
  8. the bible bangers need to stop preaching where it’s wrong to do so. Talk about shoving something in our faces, this is done all the time!

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 5:42am