Utah GOP official’s wife calls gay candidate ‘wicked,’ ‘pathetic’

Gay Salt Lake
Thursday, June 14, 2012

SALT LAKE CITY — While kicking off his campaign in Utah, openly-gay Republican presidential candidate Fred Karger was called “pathetic” and an “idiot” by Nanette Billings, wife of Washington County Republican Party Chairman Willie Billings.

Fred Karger and Nanette Billings

Mrs. Billings accused Karger of using his campaign to gain sexual partners. Karger did, however, receive a warm welcome from the chairman himself.

After a meeting with Willie Billings, Karger gave him some campaign swag, including a Frisbee and a t-shirt. However, his wife threw them in the garbage and sent Karger an email calling him a “radical idiot,” and said she was glad he “cant procreate.”

From: nanette Billings (email address removed)

Subject: running for president

Message Body:
you are an idiot. You met with my husband Willie Billings today about you being on the Utah ballot. He brought your frisby, and tshirt home and it is now out in the trash. I never want to hear from such a radical idiot again. you think you are conseritave? conseritave means you beleive in the values of founding fathers and God. Do you know you cant procreate right? Well thank goodness for that. Nanette Billings

“My feeling is the only reason he’s running for president is to find more [sexual] partners,” Nanette Billings told Yahoo News.

“All I did was go on his site and say, ‘You’re pathetic… We’re a very conservative state in Utah, very family-oriented. So he’s picked a state just to cause ruckus. He’s not thinking of family, he’s thinking of himself. He’s not running for president to fix something in the country—he’s thinking of his own personal agenda, period. And I was just letting him know that I think he’s an idiot to think of running.”

Billings also told the Los Angeles Times she “would never support him” because Karger cannot procreate, which she claims is “totally wicked.”

Karger called the email mean-spirited.

“It felt like a knife had been twisted in my stomach. Was it real? Was she serious?” Karger said. “We must stop this religion-based bigotry … We all need to work together toward mutual love, respect and equality for everyone in this great nation.”

Karger said that two years ago he was threatened by the head of the Iowa Christian Alliance, but “forged ahead” and hadn’t had a similar attack until this week.

“I am 62 years old and can take the hate better now, but for so many millions of LGBT Americans it takes a far greater toll,” he said.

Karger is one of two actively-campaigning Republicans on the June 26 primary in Utah. He acknowledges that Romney has the nomination clinched, but said he’s staying in the race to raise awareness about issues and he’s visiting Utah to campaign on behalf of his campaign and for queer rights.

“Thirty-six years ago, in 1978, the Mormon Church changed its policies and allowed blacks into the priesthood. I hope to meet with President Monson to discuss a similar change now,” Karger said.

“I hope to find common ground and I know many people have been working very hard in Utah and around the world to affect that change and I would love to be a part of that.”

Archives: , , , , , , , ,

Filed under: Utah

1. Lawl more bigotory

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:43pm
  2. Wow what a bitch

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:46pm
  3. bitchy

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:47pm
  4. i mean being a republican is getting harder and harder these days

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:47pm
  5. And that is why you don’t want a Mormon in the White House!

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:48pm
  6. So, SO tired of the GOP and Republicans hate against the gay community. It’s so old!

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:48pm
  7. that is not the word i was thinking of calling her.. I think a word like “see you next tuesday” came to mind

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:48pm
  8. my favorite part is that she can’t freaking spell lol

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:49pm
  9. thats why im democrat

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:53pm
  10. What a cunt. I hope for the sake of the human race she doesn’t breed.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:53pm
  11. This is why I moved away from Utah/Idaho, this level of #@%(%#*@# was something I couldn’t stand.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:54pm
  12. And we are surprised because???

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:56pm
  13. what a hateful person.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:56pm
  14. she needs to learn to spell then she can have an opinion she sounds like a troll on Youtube.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:58pm
  15. this is why utah should just be nuked.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8:59pm
  16. Oh but religious people are ALL ‘full of the milk of human kindness’… We all know that, don’t we? Except in so many, it’s so far past it’s use-by date it’s gone rancid!

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:00pm
  17. Please pardon my french, but it’s the only word that fits: what a cunt.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:00pm
  18. I knew there was another reason to hate that state (I lived there for many years because of my mother’s Utah Mormon family, who practically pushed us to live there. I don’t know why they hate people who love the same sex, if their religion tells them to love everybody. I am an ex Mormon and I knew of the LGBTQ bashing in church…it was horrible). I am heterosexual and I can’t stand people who hate on LGBTQ for no reason…they’re people too and they didn’t even do anything to them. #Heterosexual for gay rights.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:01pm
  19. “My feeling is the only reason he’s running for president is to find more [sexual] partners,” Nanette Billings told Yahoo News in a phone interview. – No, but that would be why her husband went into politics. He doesn’t want to tap that skank ass of hers.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:05pm
  20. I totally agree with you Scott Equality Bell!!

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:05pm
  21. My paresnts was told by the LDS CHURCH to right me off becuase I was gay.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:06pm
  22. Nanette Billings is the textbook example of pseudo-Conservative jealous bigotess! Look at Utah’s record of intolerance and she’s RIGHT THERE! TROLOLOLOLOL!

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:11pm
  23. @ Kerryn: Hate is the problem. To go and say you as an individual hate the whole entire state of Utah is simply shallow. I respect your feelings and, comments etc. But please keep in mind not every individual who resides in a state (like Utah) hates/dislikes gays etc. I imagine that there are many wonderful people who reside in Utah and, do not hate nor dislike the gay community. Hate will not bring peace my friend… But an open mind and, education will be the factors that will eventually lead to; equality, peace, love and, respect for all individuals.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:12pm
  24. Hopefully she hasn’t/won’t procreate because, frankly, she is not one of humanity’s finer specimens.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:14pm
  25. What a bitch

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:16pm
  26. but she´s a woman and by their rules women don´t have an opinion or rights to voice their opinion so why are they even allowing a woman to speak to the media? I´m surprised lol (I wouldn´t mind if they not allow her to speak, she only talks bullshit)

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:17pm
  27. Who cares? It is just drama drama drama. You think that just because they are in public view that they are above human pettiness and attraction to social drama?

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:25pm
  28. This woman is a bigot. She can’t spell either.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:30pm
  29. Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:30pm
  30. somebody needs to be bitch slapped and put back in her place…..lol

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:32pm
  31. It’s actually funny how stupid she is.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:41pm
  32. I don’t understand how Mr. Karger could have expected any different from a party that has shown time and time again that they have NO tolerance for the LGBTQ community (especially the so-called “religious/evangelical” segment(s) of the party). This is just another reason I don’t understant the Log Cabin Republicans; it just seems they’re working against their own best interests to me…

It seems to me that SHE’S the one who’s “an idiot” and “wicked”, as well as illiterate…and by the way, someone should inform her that because a man is gay, it doesn’t mean he CAN’T ‘procreate’, it just means that most likely he will find a woman willing to be a surrogate for he & his partner if he decides to…LMAO @ her complete stupidity!(She should have watched “Queer As Folks”, LOL.) But from the looks of her, she’s probably jealous of the close ‘tete a tete’ her husband had with Mr. Karger…;-)

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:54pm
  33. Well, the bitch got one thing right… Fred Karger is pathetic and an idiot if he is a gay man and a Republican.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 9:55pm
  34. So anyone who can’t procreate is ” totally wicked”. She looks kinda old. Maybe even Menapausal. She’s one the verge of becoming “totally wicked” herself. Should she be stoned or burned at the stake for wickedness? Sounds like she’s been reading to much Leviticus. What’s her problem. Yikes

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 10:02pm
  35. Robyn S Fletcher, being a part of a political party does not mean you have to agree with every one of their members or every standard. When I registered Democrat years ago, even then I didn’t agree with all the staple Democratic stances on issues. Your statement makes you look ignorant.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 10:14pm
  36. yet another from the church of Jesus Christ spewing forth their hypocrisy…if they only knew that’s not what Jesus taught…but then again, Utah is full of religious hypocrites what’s another state spreading racial hatred as well as discrimination…they do what they do best eh?

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 11:03pm
  37. Quote: she “would never support him” because Karger cannot procreate, which she claims is “totally wicked.”

Ummm….I can’t procreate cause I was born without the organs to do so….so….I am Wicked too I guess. :P Stupid Bitch. >_>

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 11:18pm
  38. Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 11:18pm
  39. I wonder who she would have singled out if this was before the civil rights era?! God made me gay, and Jesus loves me this way!!

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 11:19pm
  40. An uneducated, self righteous hypocrite opens her mouth. She should worry more about the hate inside of her before judging others.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 11:29pm
  41. Well, it is pretty pathetic and idiotic to be Republican in the first place…

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 1:15am
  42. I would think a fine conservative lass such as that woman would know that “conservative” isn’t spelled “conseritave”. But maybe she is part of a new “conseritave party” to overthrow evil conservatives like that conservative Karger. (sarcasm)

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 1:23am
  43. What an ignorant bitch.

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 4:26am
  44. Well there’s an upstanding moral right winger for ya. Maybe she should remember women were not long ago a second class citizen themselves and realize she’s lucky she has a voice at all in this country of White Men. How many closeted gays fought for her rights over the years? When you’re oppressed, you know what it feels like. But apparently, when you have no memory of what your life could be like, your moral compass remains a little skewed when it comes to oppressing someone else.

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 5:10am
  45. what a douchenipple.

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 5:31am
  46. Come on people , she is not a bad person just a very sick one , pray that baby jesus sends her some humility and knowledge..and a brain and a face and maybe some laxatives so she can shiet out some of that nastiness

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 5:53am
  47. A certain 4 letter word comes to mind

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 6:39am
  48. It would surprise many to learn that Utah, from a gay rights standpoint, is one of our more progressive states! Even the Mormon church, to everyone’s surprise, supported a law (which was passed) that favored gay couples – can’t remember if it was the right to adopt, or inherit in the absence of a will. Not every Mormon is a conservative moron, and not every Republican is a strident right-wing homophobe. Outside of the Mormon church, most from Utah (from what I’ve seen) value a right to privacy – it’s more of a “do what you want but don’t show it to me” attitude. This woman’s attitude is reflective of the right-wing factions operating in Utah – of a strident minority, not a majority.

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 7:34am
  49. Unfortunately, she is blowing hot air. She is the one who is wicked and pathetic. They are here to stay, they are not going anywhere and they are practicing their rights the same as she is.

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 8:55am
  50. I salute u all,

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 10:12am
  51. i hope he called her a BITCH, and then said too bad im prettier than you.

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 2:24pm
  52. Oops! Sorry, Messineo-san!

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 4:56pm
  53. BITCH, needs to go back to school and take some English courses!!! I’d say…. 5th grade-level.

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 1:25am
  54. One thing, that I’ll never understand though…………….. is a Gay Republican! I just, really DON’T UNDERSTAND how that works, at all! Do, you just have sexual encounters, then hate yourself… in the morning?@@?!! Just, don’t get it……………..

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 1:29am
  55. I could, never hate myself that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 1:31am
  56. What’s pathetic is her hairstyle…

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 5:14am
  57. @Krissa I find it amazing that you would wish the inability to concieve children on to someone just because they have a different opinion than you. People in the LGBT Community face that problem. Not being able to have children naturally with theyre spouse and know how heartbreaking that is but you have the balls to wish that on someone else because they are different than you. The LGBT community is about acceptance and understanding regardless of your opinion, race, creed, religion or sexuality ect. If you are standing up for LGBT rights maybe you should practice what you preach. Learn to accept before asking for acceptance. Take a good look inward.

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 10:05am