Views & Voices

Oreo ‘pride’ — It’s not the cookie they hate…

Thursday, June 28, 2012

This whole boycotting Oreo cookies isn’t really about the cookie – You know that, right?

This is all about hate and ignorance and for the most part it’s all tied up with the “God Hates Gays” bow.

My sweet, sweet friends have written and called with their words of encouragement and love, and they all tell me not to listen to these folks.

I know this logically; it’s just that my heart hurts when people are so very hateful and so quick to condemn me to their magical land of “hell.”

See, this is personal – this is my life – the life I was given to live.

Contrary to what most Christians believe, this is not the life I would have chosen for myself. I wouldn’t have chosen to live in a world so full of hateful, ignorant, “god-fearing” people.

I’ve been told that I’m “frozen in my belief” about homosexuality not being a choice, that there isn’t scientific evidence that would prove that people are born gay. To this I have to ask for the scientific evidence of this God you believe in.

What I know is my life – all 60 years of it.

I have always been attracted to women, even when I was told I couldn’t be. I tried to make myself be attracted to men, I really did – but the thought of – and the physical act of sex with a man – made me ill, even when I was told to enjoy it. I don’t hate men; I am simply not sexually attracted to them.

That’s all the scientific evidence I need.

Kind of like Christians praying for someone to be healed and they are… that’s all the proof they need that their God exists. You can’t see it – but you know it’s there.

I just don’t understand why it matters who I love. Why do you care? How does it affect your life? What does my loving Susan have to do with any of the lives of the hate-filled messages shown above?

Don’t blame Nabisco or my beloved Oreo for your hate-filled ignorance.

It’s not about either one of those things, but you knew that already, didn’t you?

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , , , , , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. It’s ironic isn’t it? When some of these people say they wanna bash the skulls in of gay people? Didn’t God say something about not killing someone else?

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:00pm
  2. God also told us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, lots of self-loathers out there

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:01pm
  3. what gets me is when a big business backs them its fin and dandy, but when a big business backs us its time for boycotts, and how dare they do that and NOM even went as far as to write letters to all the businesses that support the LGBTQA community, and told them that big businesses should remain Neutral and NOT take sides?????? WTF i guess its ok as long as it is there side they are taking.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:05pm
  4. The comment about how “God said to love and multiply and gays can’t multiply”. Well that may be true in a sense but they sure can step up and take care of the children that straight people are popping out and not taking care of.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:08pm
  5. Yes, please boycott Oreo for their support of Gay Rights(keep reading!!!). We’ll all appreciate you going on a diet. While you’re at it, please also throw away your iPod, iPhone, and iPad since Apple supports as well. Hopefully you have lots of clothes, because you’ll need to ditch your Levi’s and Nike’s too. Perhaps you bought them at … JC Penney’s or Sears? Sucks you’ll have to take them back … or actually, anything you wear from anywhere probably had a gay involved. Flying somewhere soon? Better not be on American, Delta, Southwest, or United…you’ll need a new ticket. Airline wasn’t mentioned? Just be sure your jet isn’t Boeing made. Don’t sleep at Marriott or Hilton (or any of their family brands) because you might catch the gay they support. That morning coffee from Starbucks will have to go as well, go ahead it replace it with a McCafe…oh wait, McDonald’s supports gay rights too. Hmm, do you clean with Tide, Gain, or Bounty? Use Duracell batteries, shave with Gillette, or use Fixodent? Brush with Crest, use Pantene, Scope, Tampax, Venus, or Old Spice products? Those are all gone too, stupid Proctor & Gamble supporting the gays. Damn, you’re using Internet Explorer or Crome to see Facebook and read this status? Download something else, Microsoft and Google show their Pride as well. Ah, but your drinks are safe. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Budweiser are on your side … if your side is on the right side of history since all three also support Gay Rights. Hopefully, you or your lawyer will never need in-depth research. Both LexisNexis and Westlaw, who together control the market, support Gay Rights. Drive that big, manly, Ford F350? It’s a “Friend of Dorothy” too, as it’s company Ford and General Motors also support the rights of all. So, do us all a favor, don’t take it all out on a festive cookie … just stay home and boycott everything.(ya dumb asses)~

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:08pm
  6. I truely believe there will come a day when LGBTQ citizens will be treated equally. It may not be in my lifetime, however, I will fight until the day that I die to ensure that future generations do not have to live with the hatred that I have witnessed. What ever happed to do unto others as you would have them do unto you? I have never been prejudice against another human being and I deserve the same respect.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:09pm
  7. I love it, I love it……..

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:11pm
  8. I just want an oreo with that much stuffing

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:14pm
  9. My initial reaction is to sum up this posting by saying, “It’s not Oreos ‘they’ hate; it’s you (me).” I fully understand how hurtful and offensive the hateful vitriol is, but I would point out that it is NOT “most” Christians. It is a select portion. Many Christians understand that Jesus preached love. Period. What is more, I do believe there is scientific evidence, at least that gay brains are neurologically different from straight brains.” Perhaps it’s just not conclusive evidence because it hasn’t been replicated enough or folks throw in the “environment can change your neurological system” and assume those differences are the result of BEING gay, not what caused it. My faith includes the notion that G*D made me this way because there’s a lesson (or two or twenty) for me to learn through this life experience, things like honesty, community, fairness, self-worth, etc. And the hate mongers work diligently to help me learn these lessons for which I am grateful, but it’s sad that their lives must be so hate-filled for me to learn these valuable lessons. However, that’s G*d’s plan, not mine.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:15pm
  10. I honestly just want that hyper-stuffed oreo

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:26pm
  11. Oh, I don’t know. The haters aren’t exactly the brightest lights in the chandelier. I think a lot of them actually think a cookie can be gay! :(

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:37pm
  12. I don’t understand how audacious and arrogant some of these folks are to say ‘God hates fags’? I would never pretend to be the word of God. The way I was taught is that everyone has a personal relationship with God. Then each person decides what to do or say based on their experience. They are speaking as persons. They can not be the word of God. Even the Bible was written by people. Smart people maybe, by not Gods.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:37pm
  13. Too much cream… not enough cookie.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:39pm
  14. I’m sorry. No offense to my partner, but I can’t boycott Oreo’s. They are soooooooo delicious!!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:54pm
  15. Mickey Mikayla : THANK YOU for putting it so WELL!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 4:58pm
  16. Where does this hate come from?

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:03pm
  17. I think I’ll like it! Milk or coffee!!

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:04pm
  18. I was part of that facebook comment war! :D

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:05pm
  19. Woot! Woot! I’m applauding, Mickey Mikayla! That was great!

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:06pm
  20. ^ i just made my new page! so SUPPORTERS please like my page and thanks Mikrah D. Hill:)

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:15pm
  21. How much you wanna bet none of them will boycott. :) No one can resist a good oreo.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:29pm
  22. Is this god’s way of killing off the haters? If they keep boycotting gay friendly companies, they will starve off.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 5:45pm
  23. Just like boycotting Gloria Jeans is not about the coffee, though it probably should be.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 6:01pm
  24. This is fucking sad

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 6:17pm
  25. Oh c’mon guys. You know how good it feels to have your undies in a bunch.

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 7:44pm
  26. Oreo should make ‘Pride’ cookies for real! I don’t usually buy oreos, but if they had rainbow colored cream filling, I would definitely indulge!

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 8:46pm
  27. They hate the cause not the cookie. Of course. I guess they were more upset you didn’t imprint a crusifix on it. =/

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 11:55pm
  28. I don’t care if the idiots never eat another oreo cookie. Their lost.

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 at 10:03am