Nevada

Transgender teen allowed in boys’ graduate procession after TV station steps in

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

LAS VEGAS, Nev. — A Las Vegas high school student, who came out as transgender male to family and friends last year, will be able to walk in his high school graduation ceremony with the rest of his male classmates after a local television station interceded with school officials.

Francis Dalog Jr.

Francis Dalog Jr., 18, who identifies as male, and said his high school experience at Shadow Ridge High School was largely conflict-free — until recently, when a school administrator insisted he walk with the girls in the graduation procession, because, as far as school officials are concerned, Dalog is still biologically a girl.

“I explained to her that I’m transgender and she’s like, doesn’t matter, whatever’s on the paper that’s whatever side you’re going to go on,” Dalog told KLAS-TV.

“I want to leave as who I am. I want to graduate high school as who I really am,” Dalog said.

KLAS reported that administrators at Shadow Ridge High recognize Francis “the she,” not “the he.” But after KLAS-TV raised concerns with the school district level, the administrator’s decision was reversed.

The Clark County School District has no specific policies related to transgender students instead it relies on a more individualized approach, explained school board president Linda Young.

“Each case is a little different; each student is a little different. I think it has to be discussed in light of what’s going to be comfortable for all involved, because it’s not just that student, but the other students as well,” said Dr. Linda Young, CCSD school board president.

“There should be policies,” said Jane Heenan with Gender Justice Nevada.

On Tuesday, Dalog was informed by school administrators at Shadow Ridge that he would be permitted to walk in the procession with the other male students

“The district wants all students to feel welcome in their education environment and therefore will make reasonable accommodations,” the district said, in a statement.

For more, watch the report from KLAS-TV:

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Nevada

1. what a shame that a news station had to step in! why dont ppl mind their own business?! who cares what he is! it should be HE IS HUMAN WITH FEELINGS! get the hell over it!

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 7:51pm
  2. Melissa, at least the TV stations did something GOOD for once instead of making it into a big mess. But they shouldn’t have had to been involved though, in the first place. People are sick in the head. Gender doesn’t matter in graduation (shouldn’t) I mean heck, everyone wears robes anyways!

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 7:56pm
  3. thats what i meant. let the boy live his life. who is he hurting? who is he bothering?

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:00pm
  4. drives me up the wall that a kid cant even graduate b/c of idiots and 2faced hypocrites in the world.(well, he did, but you know what i mean)

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:01pm
  5. I understand everyones points, but think its a good sign that fear of publicity and public opinion is starting to make a difference – that is one positive step in the right direction!

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:11pm
  6. cheers for the progressive HS

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:18pm
  7. i lived in vegas for 5yrs. the school district is not ready 4 gay & transgendered teens or parents. they were not the nicest 2 me when i had 2 get my daughter from school because she was sick. I was told that since i was not her birth mother my partner went off at the office workers at western high school my name was on all papers 2 pick up our daughter.

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:35pm
  8. Why are they dividing the procession by gender anyway? An alphabetical lineup would be fine. I just don’t see why they couldn’t have been smart enough to “fix” the problem without having to be made to do so. People can be really stupid sometimes.

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:40pm
  9. Wonderful news !

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 8:46pm
  10. What a ridiculous tradition. We didn’t separate out the sexes for graduation ceremonies at my school.

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 9:06pm
  11. hallelujah another small victory

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 9:43pm
  12. Good for him… He is who he is, and no one has the right to make him any less than just that. I wish u all the best in your life :)

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 9:48pm
  13. Wonderful!! Let’s hope CCSD comes up with an actual policy to help/protect ALL transgendered youth here!!

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 9:46am