‘The View’ — Obama stops short on committing to fight to repeal DOMA

'Congress is clearly on notice... I think it's a bad idea'
Tuesday, May 15, 2012

President Barack Obama, appearing on ABC’s “The View,” declined to say whether he would publicly take up the fight to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), but in a campaign fundraiser later in the day, seemed to imply that repealing DOMA would be a second-term priority.

“Congress is clearly on notice that I think it’s a bad idea,” Obama said regarding DOMA during “The View” interview, which was recorded Monday morning.

But later in the day, at a New York City fundraising event hosted by openly gay singer Ricky Martin, Obama said he believes marriage equality “strengthens families,” and said the 2012 election would be about values — including “repealing DOMA.”

It’s been said that this election is going to be about values, and I absolutely agree. It’s about the economic values we have, about the values that I believe are what makes America so special — the idea that everybody gets a fair shot, everybody does their fair share, everybody plays by the same set of rules.

So everything we do — from Wall Street reform, making sure that banks aren’t taking risks with other people’s money that taxpayers may have to end up bailing out later, to repealing DOMA, to getting the DREAM Act passed, to investing in our schools, to rebuilding manufacturing in America — all of these things are designed to make sure that we’re restoring middle-class security for all those folks out there that are struggling for their small portion of the American Dream.

“This is going to be a big contrast in the campaign because you’ve got Governor [Mitt] Romney saying we should actually have a constitutional amendment installing the notion that you can’t have same-sex marriages,” Obama said, during “The View” appearance, which aired Tuesday.

Watch:

The President added that ultimately, he doesn’t think social issues such as same-sex marriage will determine the outcome of the November election.

The full interview and additional excerpts from “The View” are here.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. Leave the Man Get “RE-Elected” now Gay People….!!! He’s DONE ALL HE CAN FOR THE MOMENT..AS A MATTER OF FACT, HE’S DONE MORE FOR THE “GAY” POPULACE THAN AFRICAN AMERICANS WHO NEED SOME HELP BAD!!!!!! NO ONE CARED ABOUT OUR “UNEMPLOYMENT STATS”, OR OUR HOUSING ISSUES, HELL, THEY DON’T EVEN CARE THAT A 17 YEAR OLD IS FOLLOWED AND KILLED BY A STRANGE MAN WHO WAS TOLD TO “NOT PURSUE THAT BOY” BY 911 OPERATORS…GO LADY GAGA AND ALL THE REST..LET HIM TRY TO GET RE_ELECTED BEFORE Y’ALL START “ACTING-UP” ON HIM MORE..PLEEEEAZE!

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:48am
  2. Let him get re elected…I like his campaign so far focusing on values…social and economic

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:52am
  3. I agree with you Kevin.

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:53am
  4. nothing wrong or against him for his words..but being used as a ploy for votes..is complete and utter bullshit..we will see when it comes election time..if he wins bcus he got the gay vote and does nothing..then i dont wanna hear shit from all u do-gooders that praised and lived on his every word..ACTIONS SPEAK VOLUMES..

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:54am
  5. I don’t understand how President Obama can come out in support of marriage equality, and yet he’s hedging on DOMA.

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:06pm
  6. I think it’s time to flee to canada

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:24pm
  7. This is an election year that I believe is the most raw crap I have ever seen or heard in the past. I am 57, so the Rep. party can’t find any mud to sling at our President, so they go for, (and this is outrages), that in the past, President Obama was gay. Wow, now that was intelligence on the Republican party. Why does an election year have to be this way. This pisses me off to no end. It almost makes me not want to vote. President Barack Obama is the man for the job. If everyone would just stop and realize how wrong this is. Come on.

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:32pm
  8. He’s spineless and weak.

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:34pm
  9. Like I said before, this will be an interesting election year..

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 1:00pm
  10. I was hoping he would be more commited to fight this in the federal level, not leaving it for each State to decide. I’m still voting for Obama, let’s see how much action he’s gonna take once he’s re-elected. We need more than just saying we deserve equality!

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 1:11pm
  11. Obama has done a lot for same-gender equality compared to other presidents, but I think it’s be better to give him more opportunity to accomplish more than let Willard win the election and roll it all back!

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 2:11pm
  12. If we want change we have got to get rid of these rep. in office that means voting in not just the pres. election we have to vote on the local level and up give him people that will work with him . I think he has his heart and mind in the right place but with who he has working against currently its impossible .

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 2:46pm
  13. Because its lip action for votes. Repeal it now and give full right before the election. Show what you CAN DO not another promise of what you might do. Talk is cheap and but action shows your willingness and drive to accomplish the promise.

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 4:47pm