North Carolina

Bill Clinton urges N.C. voters to reject ban on same-sex marriage

Chelsea Clinton: 'It is our duty to join the fight on behalf of gay and lesbian North Carolinians'
Saturday, May 5, 2012

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton has recorded a “robo call” to mobilize North Carolinians to vote in opposition to Amendment One, a proposed constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

In the recorded, Clinton said that if Amendment One passes, “it won’t change North Carolina’s law on marriage. What it will change is North Carolina’s ability to keep good businesses, attract new jobs, and attract and keep talented entrepreneurs.”

Listen:

Amendment One is on the North Carolina primary ballot next Tuesday, May 8.

If approved by voters, the North Carolina state constitution would be amended to prohibit all “domestic legal unions” other than between “a man and a woman” as the only domestic legal unions “valid or recognized in this state.”

At the very least, the amendment would clearly ban relationship rights beyond same-sex marriage, and also bar recognition of civil unions, as well as the domestic partnerships now offered to public employees in some North Carolina municipalities.

Earlier in the week, Clinton’s daughter Chelsea, also spoke in opposition to Amendment One:

“I believe that everyone must stand up for what is right, whenever possible, wherever possible. I also believe that when the civil rights of any one American or group of Americans in one place are questioned, all Americans, everywhere, should care that the answer is the right one. Those are lessons I learned at a young age from my parents and they are guiding principles in my life.” Chelsea Clinton said.

[...]

“It is our duty to join the fight on behalf of both the gay and lesbian North Carolinians who were the original targets of the amendment and the tens of thousands of straight male and female North Carolinians who will be collateral damage if the amendment passes next Tuesday.”

Chelsea Clinton said the amendment “unfairly targets women, children and families, gay and straight, who fall outside of the narrow definition of family articulated by those who drafted the legislation.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: North Carolina

1. THATS RIGHT EVEN POTUS CLINTON GETS IT.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:02pm
  2. lol srsly? BILL CLINTON??? oh lord.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:06pm
  3. I wish Clinton had rejected the ban when he was President :-(

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:06pm
  4. Bout time MR. President William Clinton, sheesh..

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:06pm
  5. after he signed DOMA… I guess better late then never

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:08pm
  6. Thats bullshit

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:10pm
  7. Damn Bill why didn’t you think that way when you signed that damnable law

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:11pm
  8. because he will do anything to be popular I assume.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:16pm
  9. isnt he the one that signed DOMA?

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:22pm
  10. What a bigot! He went after the gay vote, got it and then stabbed us in the back..there’s a few things I’d like to do to him with a cigar..and it ain’t perty!!

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:31pm
  11. damn to think you WERE my favorite president smh

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:38pm
  12. BAN THE BAN

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 5:49pm
  13. Thank you President Clinton! I hope the NC votes against the ban on same sex marriage… we should have a right to marry in ALL 50 states.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 6:03pm
  14. I love the Clintons!

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 6:14pm
  15. It really frustrates me when I read something like this. It no longer matters what Bill Clinton advocates. The fact is, there was a time when he was the most powerful man in the world, and he used that time peddling policies that hurt the LGBT community.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 6:17pm
  16. @Steven Smith, if you read the article, you would understand that he is telling NC votes to VETO amendment one, and vetoing would help the lgbt community

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 6:49pm
  17. I miss Bill.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 7:07pm
  18. I fear this is too little too late. All indications are, according to the polls, that the anti-gay marriage amendment will pass. Although we may lose a battle, there is still a war to be won.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 7:09pm
  19. Then why did he sign this bill Kara? The Defense of Marriage Act is a nationally recognized law signed by former President Bill Clinton and enacted in 1996 that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. He needs to make up his mind! Is he for the LGBT or NOT!!

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 7:21pm
  20. but they won’t

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 7:22pm
  21. Dudette, perhaps the guy is older, wiser, and doesn’t give a damn about re-election now.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 9:12pm
  22. Alicia, I have been reading similar posts around facebook on why Clinton signed the Defense of Mariage Act. I came across a comment from Bob Morrow, and here is what he had to state. “If Clinton HADN’T signed DOMA, we would have likely ended up with a Constitutional Amendment. He compromised, and at the time that was the right thing to do. Remember, the numbers then were not with us, there was still horrible prejudice because of HIV/AIDS. Hate DOMA all you want, as I do, but it gave us time to help set changes in motion and held the right at bay.” In a way what he said does make sense. Afterall, we do have eight states out of 50 which recognize same-sex marriage with DOMA still taking place. It must of been the same way when he signed Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Act into law. I am not a fan of the law either; however, I do respect the idea he was trying to give us a chance to still fight for our rights before they would be taken away permanentaley.

Posted on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 10:57pm
  23. If you want to try to influence the pro-Amendment One voters, post at them here. Who knows, maybe we can change some minds? http://www.facebook.com/Vote4MarriageNC

Posted on Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 12:01am
  24. i ordinarily dislike clinton, but he gained a modecum of respect

Posted on Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 12:17am
  25. He passed DOMA.

Posted on Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 5:52am
  26. I just posted the following link on the FB page you provided Amber Lombard. Might be of use to you in trying to persuade others. Video is very powerful and shreds the bibilical arguements against homosexuality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY&feature=colike

Posted on Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 5:58am
  27. Amber Lombard, I’ve had some exchanges with a couple of people at the website for the amendment. What’s interesting is all they have come back with is “Satan is clever…beware of false teachings” and similar comments. I’ve done my best to stay calm and reasonable in presenting my arguements but I’m sure it’s a wasted effort.

Posted on Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 7:46am