‘Hunger Games’ star Josh Hutcherson presented Vanguard Award by GLAAD

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Josh Hutcherson, an LGBT equality advocate, actor, and star of “The Hunger Games,” on Saturday became the youngest person to receive the prestigious Vanguard Award at the GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles.

Hutcherson, 19, is actively involved in the LGBT ally organization “Straight But Not Narrow,” which is designed to encourage young, straight men to come out in support of their gay peers.

The award was presented on behalf of GLAAD — the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation — by Academy Award-winning actor Benicio del Toro.

Watch:

The Vanguard Award is presented annually by GLAAD to media professionals who, through their work, have increased the visibility and understanding of the LGBT community. Previous recipients include Liza Minnelli, Cher, Shirley MacLaine, Whoopi Goldberg, and Elizabeth Taylor.

Archives: , , , , , , ,

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. he ain’t 2 bad on da eyes…LOL sure has grown up since “RV”

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:38pm
  2. Well….helllllloooo attractive….

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:39pm
  3. He’s on my “Celebrity It-Doesn’t-Count List” ;)

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:41pm
  4. Am I the only person who didn’t like his acceptance speech? I get what he’s saying in the sense that people are just people, but I don’t necessarily want to eliminate the words “gay” and “lesbian” from everyone’s vocabularly. That’s just erasing our community in a way I can’t quite put my finger on, but regardless, it makes me uncomfortable.

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:43pm
  5. I commented this on the article itsself but I’ll put it here as well: The very Facebook page you linked to doesn’t have Josh listed as a “co-founder” at all but repeatedly references him as just a “supporter”. Whilst I still think his work is great the information is a bit misleading.

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:45pm
  6. It be better if it weren’t so easy to fall for him…

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:48pm
  7. @ Jane Elizabeth Humen- I didn’t get that from his speech at all. He’s saying that he’s tired of there being a need to label people based on their sexual orientation. I don’t think he’s trying to erase the gay community. He, like many people, just wants a world where saying “I’m Gay’ is about as shocking as saying “I’m human.”

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:52pm
  8. He is gorgeous. Let me say that again. GORGEOUS. I want him in my bed. <3 He’s got brains as well???? DONE.

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 9:23pm
  9. ..how bout eliminating the word straight since it’s a feign anyway.

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 9:37pm
  10. Jane Elizabeth Humen – I feel EXACTLY the same way. Just because hair or eye colour is now a non-issue we still describe ourselves. While sexuality is much more complex than that I feel we need to make sure we are not forgotten about. I don’t want being gay an issue any longer but I hate when people simplify the issue and just wish the words would go away. I’m gay and no I refuse to drop that label. Straight people don’t have to use the word straight often because we live in a heteronormative world. But we are different. It’s like being a lefty. There is a certain amount of solidarity in all minority groups. Nobody really thinks/talks about being a ‘righty’ bc most people are right handed.

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 9:38pm