Arizona

Former boyfriend files $1 million claim against Arizona sheriff

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

FLORENCE, Ariz. — The former boyfriend of embattled Pinal County, Ariz. Sheriff Paul Babeu has filed a $1 million notice of claim against the sheriff and the county.

Jose Orozco (left) and Paul Babeu

According to County Manager Fritz Behring, the notice of claim — filed on behalf of Jose Orozco — is a precursor to a lawsuit against Babeu and the county’s Board of Supervisors, reported the Arizona Republic.

In the state of Arizona, in order to file a civil lawsuit against a public entity or employee, a “notice of claim” must first be filed, and the resulting civil action must be filed within one year.

Babeu publicly came out as gay last month amid allegations that he threatened to have Orozco, a Mexican immigrant, deported after he refused to sign an agreement promising not to disclose details of their relationship.

Babeu, 43, confirmed that he did have a relationship with Orozco, but denied claims that he threatened him with deportation following their breakup. Babeu said now believes Jose is a legal citizen.

A former rising star in the Arizona Republican party, Babeu had been serving as co-chair of Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign in Arizona, and is a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in the state’s fourth congressional district.

Orozco is a Mexican national who reportedly was a volunteer campaign worker in charge of managing Babeu’s campaign website and Twitter account. He is believed to be a legal immigrant in the U.S. on a tourist visa, which would prohibit him from such work, even if unpaid.

Babeu said he will remain a candidate for the U.S. Congress, and said he’ll be “a strong fiscal conservative,” but also will support pro-LGBT legislative measures.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Arizona

1. yeah, fuck him

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:15pm
  2. fuck him thats what he deserves

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:16pm
  3. the stupid drama of the situation between the 2 needs to end and they need to talk it out

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:19pm
  4. I wish I could sue my exes for dumping me! ;)

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:25pm
  5. Abusing a position of power in law enforcement, this man should be put in jail himself.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:26pm
  6. As a gay American citizen, I’m VERY offended that illegals get more freedoms and entitlements than I do, the fact that they play the race card to get their way is bad enough….But for this sheriff’s ”
    ‘boyfriend” to play that AND try to also gain sympathy from the LGBT community???…….Infuriates me to no end!!! He should be DEPORTED because he is here illegally! I don’t CARE if he’s gay!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:29pm
  7. “He is believed to be a legal immigrant in the U.S. on a tourist visa”

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:32pm
  8. WTF?!^^ your ancestors came here illegally as well dumb ass.Take your white ass back to europe.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:33pm
  9. People are NOT illegal, Paul. And I would really like you to tell me which exact “freedoms and entitlements” those eyelegals get. Jesus, you sound just like a selfish Republican with zero empathy for your fellow man.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:34pm
  10. well if he would be prosecuted in his own country (I do not know) I think he may, apply for citizenship, though the lawsuit is ignorant …

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:35pm
  11. He OVERSTAYED the Visa……that makes him “illegal”

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:36pm
  12. lame get a life fags go suck cock lol hahhaha

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:42pm
  13. White folks overstayed their visa, visit, and welcome loooooooooong time ago. GTFOH with that bs.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:43pm
  14. Why does everyone assume that since you’re white, your ancestors came to the U.S. illegally? I’m not trying to be rude or sarcastic or anything, I’m just curious…

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:50pm
  15. The man does not have a case, period. He has suffered no harm that requires relief. He was threatened? So, what?

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:53pm
  16. Can we keep Jose and deport the sheriff? ;o)

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:55pm
  17. I think gay marriage would have been cheaper for the Sheriff lol

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:56pm
  18. Exactly Rob! lol

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:59pm
  19. If they Native First people and the Mexicans that owned the land first didn’t approve the move over here then you are illegal. So sorry!

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3:01pm
  20. Um Cawl there were only native Americans here to begin with, If your of Spanish decent then your ancestors also came and stole land and killed millions of natives, there would be no Mexico if it wasn’t for the conquistadors. All of our ancestors are guilty of mass murder and amassing land that didn’t belong to them. History has nothing to do with the fact this is now and it’s illegal for you to enter a country and live there without permission and it is the same in most every country. What the Sheriff did was wrong he should have just had his boyfriend deported or helped get a permanent Visa he should be punished. This however does not negate the fact that his boyfriend should be deported or take the correct steps to be here legally. This law suite seems like a ploy to stay here longer, and besides from what I’ve read it seems that all the Sheriff wanted was to stay in the closet. Why would his ex boyfriend be threatening to out him anyways to stay in this country longer? Call me crazy but theres no proof that the black mailing didn’t start with the Mexican ex wanting to stay here illegally, I’d deport his ass to if he was illegal and threatening to ruin my life and career by outing me.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3:30pm
  21. I agree the sheriff’s baby’s momma drama needs to be deported. I’ll fully admit to being a Democrat too! My reasoning behind this position is, he came here on a tourist visa, which prohibits him from working, and then he got a job. He is obviously desperate to stay in this country. Why? In my perception he seems to bring a lot of drama with him, but we want to keep that here in this country because it benefits us in some way. What way? I am all for people moving here and enriching American culture, but they need to do it legally. I will admit I’m not versed on requirements for becoming a citizen of a country I enjoy being a natural born citizen of, hell I plan to move to Spain when I graduate. Our forefathers that won the wars that allow our Democratic Republic to operate, did immigrate here, and then proceeded to kick ass and hand out lollipops to whoever stood in the way of their conquest of freedom. Open our borders to legal immigrants from other countries, but deport those who don’t operate within our laws. We are a democratic military superpower, now lets show the world we have a brain that is just as strong as our military that defends it.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3:55pm
  22. This is bull shit!!! I smell a shiester attorney in the background!

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 4:37pm
  23. Amen Autumn

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 9:08pm
  24. @Autumn, I like that you say people should move here legally and then immediately admit that you don’t know how difficult that might be. I actually appreciate the honesty, because many people make the same claim about what immigrants could do and then don’t admit they aren’t aware of how many come here legally and then, say, have their visas expire as they honestly try to renew it with every hoop jumped through.

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 9:10pm
  25. Lol, because the original European colonialists moved here legally…

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 9:28pm
  26. more like Illegally!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 9:38pm