Virginia legislature allows adoption agencies to discriminate against gays

Saturday, February 4, 2012

RICHMOND, Va. — Lawmakers from both houses of Virginia’s legislature passed a measure Friday that codifies into law regulations adopted by the state’s Board of Social Services this past December, which allows private adoption agencies to deny placements based on factors including gender, age, religion disability, sexual orientation and family status.

In a party line vote, the Republican majority House of Delegates voted 71-28 to pass the legislation, while a State Senate committee endorsed its version of the Republican-backed measure also on a 8-7 party-line vote.

Republican Governor Bob McDonnell is expected to sign the measure into law as soon as it crosses his desk.

Sponsors and supporters are claiming that the law will protect religious freedom. Critics charge that the state’s government, which contracts with dozens of private, state-licensed child placement agencies, in the commonwealth, is now in a position to sanction discrimination.

Opponents also argued that since the state is allowing this exemption then state funding should be eliminated.

The new rules run headlong into voter opinion — fifty-five percent of Virginia adults believe it should be legal for gay parents to adopt.

Nearly six thousand Virginia children live in foster homes.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Virginia

1. WHAT

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:01pm
  2. BAD

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:01pm
  3. thats so stupid..

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:02pm
  4. You’ve got to be kidding..

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:02pm
  5. Are you serious?

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:03pm
  6. this is seriously sad.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:03pm
  7. What a bunch of horse $h!t

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:04pm
  8. This will be overturned by those who understand the constitution.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:06pm
  9. why are people liking this???

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:06pm
  10. This is worse than just discriminating against gays. This gives them the power to discriminate based off of essentially whatever they feel like.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:07pm
  11. omg

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:07pm
  12. This is seriously discrimination in one of it’s worst forms. There are currently over 1800 children in VA foster care waiting to be adopted. All that does is stress an already stressed system. The poor children who want forever homes are the ones being hurt the worst.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:09pm
  13. Glad I don’t live there anymore.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:10pm
  14. How horrible there are so many children that need good homes, I’m glad I don’t live in VA

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:11pm
  15. Well I know where I am not welcomed. Won’t be spending money there…

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:16pm
  16. I personally think it’s as it should be; if a private entity wishes to deny service, it should be allowed to. Let the market punish them. :3

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:16pm
  17. What black magic fuckery is this?

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:17pm
  18. It’s horrible to think that children are denied the right to parents that will actually support them. Isn’t the straight people who put them there in the first place?

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:21pm
  19. Because being abused and living on the streets is better for the child than being brought up by homosexua

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:22pm
  20. Pure Hate.
    From so called
    Christians.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:23pm
  21. No matter how much you might dislike me as a gay person, you don’t have any right to deny children a good home, that’s just criminal.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:34pm
  22. I only wish some gay dad’s or mom’s adopted me from the Catholic Orpanage I was raised in, I might be normal now and not still be suffering from all the shit I went through!

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:35pm
  23. Bad bad were is the federal government? They should be stopping this. This is 100 percent bullshit

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:42pm
  24. As a child put into a “good christian” home and suffered years of physical and emotional abuse i would have rathered a good loving home….love has no gender…family has no restrictions when there is safety and care…the family they placed me with were a male minister and his female wife…..i would have rathered a loving, safe, and supportive home…love has no gender. Place a child in a safe environment, an environment that promotes a healthy character, an environment that promotes a productive American…..there are so many of these homes out there……don’t limit goodness to a political prejudice, shortness of judgement. Allow all people who care, to care, and make this world a stronger place with love.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:55pm
  25. bullshit is an understatement…

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:59pm
  26. It’s funny how they call “typical” families nuclear, isn’t that irony?

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 2:00pm
  27. Bullshit, Virginia, BULLSHIT. -_-

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 2:17pm
  28. What a shame we exclude some wonderful, hopeful parents based on sexual preference. Two of my favorite families in the world have gay parents with a child They are warm and loving people, compassionate and amazing parents. We don’t ask heteros what they do in the privacy of their own bedroom in order for them to adopt a child, it’s considered private.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 2:18pm
  29. WTF This is bullshit. Yeah seriously they can allow these kids to be put with abusers and horrible people but not loving parents who would take care of them, just because of their gender? Horrible discrimination on the highest level.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 2:19pm
  30. Ugh..someone please think of the children! Lol..but serious man WTF!

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 2:48pm
  31. One step forward, two steps back…When will the HATE stop !!

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:02pm
  32. Ridiculous

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:14pm
  33. You’re fucking kidding, right?

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:39pm
  34. I need to get the Fuck out of this ignorant state.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:52pm
  35. ok so what king of bullshit is that ,,,,,, it should not matter who you have sexual relations with as long as you can provide the proper environment filled with love and all the Really Important things

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:56pm
  36. “Virginal is for haters! ” should be our new MOTO!

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 3:57pm
  37. don’t forget that LGBT isn’t the only one they have granted the right to discriminate against…. also religion, race, handicap, gender, “family status” (no single parent adoptions), and age…. I guess I’m REALLY off their desirable list as a “Two-Spirited Native American who practices my tribe’s N/A traditional faith, permanently disabled, and is well over 40 y/o)

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 4:30pm
  38. Amazing, millions of children needing homes, and our elected officials worry about who gives them,,,,,,they really have no idea of what is important…..bigotry will never die….idiots!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 4:39pm
  39. Of course they do because Virginia is one of the most backwards states in the country, except for Northern VA.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 4:46pm
  40. ……uhm……gay people ore the ones that adopt the most. Having gay parents doesnt make a person gay. My parents are straight and I turned out to be a fag. Ignorant assumption and predjudice vs. science….gotta love it

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 5:00pm
  41. More Morons without souls. They are more worried about where their penis goes than freedom.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 6:25pm
  42. My partner of over 17 years and I have wanted to adopt forever. Some states make it very difficult. What kills me is the fact that all these children need, want and deserve a loving home. And why should gays be discriminated against when it comes to this. When I was only 18 I moved in with my cousin to help her out. I took care of 5 boys, ages 6-15. Guess what…they’re fine, didn’t turn out gay, have grown up, got married and have kids of their own now. And every time I see them they thank me for everything I’ve done for them.

Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 6:37pm
  43. The children waiting for adoption don’t “keep”. Every day that goes by for them is an eternity. Every day that heartless, cruel adults leave them in limbo puts them closer to having “grown up in foster care” without ever having a family. There are not enough heterosexuals to adopt them. It’s that simple. The State of Virginia condemns it’s orphans out of spite, bigotry and heartlessness.

Posted on Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 12:09am
  44. What an ASSSSS backwards state!!!!

Posted on Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 7:10am