Oklahoma teen brutally beaten in anti-gay attack

By Dan Rafter
Wednesday, February 29, 2012

TULSA, Okla. — An Oklahoma teen was brutally beaten at a party this weekend, and it appears homophobia was the central factor in the attack.

Cody Rogers

According to KOKI-TV, 18 year-old Cody Rogers was attending a party in Tulsa. Party-goers in the apartment were using homophobic slurs, which prompted others to ask them to leave the party. At that point, one of the men using the slurs allegedly attacked a female in the apartment.

When Rodgers stepped in, he became the victim of both a brutal assault and vicious anti-gay slurs.

Unfortunately, similar attacks take place against LGBT people all across the country. What makes this particular incident so disturbing, however, is that it takes place in Oklahoma – where just last week anti-LGBT state lawmaker Mike Reynolds (R-Oklahoma City) pushed hard for a bill that would have stripped municipalities of their ability to protect sexual orientation and gender identity in their non-discrimination policies.

Earlier this year, Reynolds was pushing legislation that would have implemented an even more extreme version of the archaic “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy on Oklahoma’s National Guard. Reynolds’ actions send a dangerous and false message – that LGBT people are second-class citizens not worthy of the same respect, recognition and protections that other Oklahomans receive.

Oklahomans for Equality is supporting Rodgers. He’s also set up a Facebook page. Watch his interview with KOKI-TV below:

Oklahoma has no hate crime protections that cover LGBT people. Because of this void, the attack on Cody is being classified as a simple assault.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Oklahoma

1. Sick

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:01pm
  2. Fuck straight people -.-

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:02pm
  3. sick:(

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:02pm
  4. Just goes to show that we can never be to careful…

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:02pm
  5. My thoughts of wellness and healing and to rise above go the Oklahoma teen,,,,,,

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:03pm
  6. again? ugh people need to wake up this problem will not go away on its own!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:03pm
  7. This is terrible! I’m straight and I see nothing wrong with being gay; why would others? It’s not like a stranger or anyone else being gay affect you? :(

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:04pm
  8. Wtf!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:04pm
  9. no words…

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:04pm
  10. The joke in Texas is why does Texas not fall in Gulf of Mexico. Answer; Because Oklahoma SUCKS,,,,,,yep………

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:05pm
  11. so sad, why would anyone hate another person this much? how could there be a justifiable reason for such an act?

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:05pm
  12. Sick, I hope they caught the idiots that did this! :(

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:05pm
  13. omg people just arent too fond of the lifestyle that we live. Homosexuals aka gay men deserve the same freedom that straight people have. we dont have to vote to legalize straight marriage so why do it for same sex? people need to leave gay people alone… after all we are all human

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:06pm
  14. Fucken assholes

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:07pm
  15. Im gay and I live in Oklahoma sometimes I wonder about people =/

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:08pm
  16. it’s sad to see stuff like this happen. It makes me want to kill those guys and cry at the same time!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:09pm
  17. Hell no!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:09pm
  18. I hope they find the people that did this to u and they are punished to the fullist. I hope u heal quicky.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:09pm
  19. I agree with Hunter Raye Runge, This is sad and need to stop continue… There is nothing wrong with Gay, Straight and Lesbian since Many, Many Years ago as like as Big Bang Beginning…

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:10pm
  20. WE ARE ALL HUMAN! WAKE UP AND STOP THE HATE! IT’S TIME TO STOP THIS; LOVE IS LOVE!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:10pm
  21. Poor thing, I feel really bad for him and I hope he make a full recovery. My thoughts go to him <3

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:11pm
  22. I’m bi and I live in Washington State and I am happy with who I am

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:11pm
  23. Alot of the time it is straight guys who aren’t so straight and trying to prove something.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:11pm
  24. :(

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:11pm
  25. Omg! what the fck is wrong with people?! That is terrible.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:12pm
  26. Those homophobic fucks just beat him up cause he was getting all the ladies attention!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:13pm
  27. i been through this…invited to a party then……..my heat gos out to him …

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:13pm
  28. This ignorance and hate has to stop!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:13pm
  29. Awful

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:13pm
  30. I’m a straight guy plus married to a woman i am all for gay marriage i fucking hate people who think love is wrong who gives a shit if they love the same sex love is love no matter what fucking hate people who hurt gays and hurt other people for there race sexual tamperer skin color wher human so why the fuck cant we get along?

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:14pm
  31. This is the fruit of teaching that homosexuality is “unnatural” and homosexuals are second-class citizens. As a Christian, I repent of the church’s part in promoting that attitude and I will do everything I can to eliminate it. If we value human dignity, we must treat ALL people with equal human dignity. Or this is what happens.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:15pm
  32. It so sad that people are so homophobic, They need serious f…. help:(

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:15pm
  33. I’m happy to live in canada where it is legal to get married, however I still get discriminated against on a regular basis but I don’t care because I’m happier in my relationship than most people I know. I don’t see why people have a hard time just letting everyone be happy no matter what. Some people still feel the need to try and control something that just needs to be left alone. Treat everyone as you would want to be treated, end of story. Who cares if men like men, women like women, people like both, as long as someone is happy, what the hell else matters????

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:15pm
  34. A sad, continuing saga… when will this EVER end. This poor child!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:20pm
  35. THIS SHOULD’VE NEVER BEEN A SEXUAL ORIENTATION ISSUE IT WAS WRONG PERIOD. You don’t harm someone for anything at all, he is a HUMAN BEING like anybody else & deserves the right to feel safe & actually be safe just like everybody else in this world, this shit’s gotta stop!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:22pm
  36. what sick fucker would beat up a cute boy like that?

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:23pm
  37. Just …damn. I served almost 5 years in the service. Im so damn irritated. Man. Fuck America..

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:23pm
  38. This is awful he was just trying to protect the girl. This is why gay hate crimes must stop! That guy that said it’s wrong to give justice to the victims needs to get his head screwed on straight!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:26pm
  39. Oklahoma this is “NOT OK!”.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:27pm
  40. things like this simply break my heart

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:28pm
  41. I’m sad no one had his back…shame.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:30pm
  42. what a sin :(

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:34pm
  43. I agree, where the hell were all the ppl at the party, didn’t anyone try to stop this???? I am not gay, but i do think this should be classified as a hate crime!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:37pm
  44. …this is terrible.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:37pm
  45. it is a hate crime… bystander fear is awful… they do not want to be classified if they get involved… RIDICULOUS

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:40pm
  46. Stupid fucking rednecks.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:43pm
  47. What is wrong with people!?!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:45pm
  48. I have friends that seen this happen

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:45pm
  49. So glad you have posted this. I am Tulsan & I am continually sadden & ashamed to be an Oklahoman. What is equally sad is that today there was bill or something passed for possible guns to be carried by everyday citizens here in Oklahoma. This new possible law seems to be more important than protecting the right’s of all human beings living in Oklahoma.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:53pm
  50. You know what they say: Those Who Hate The Most, Usually Are One Themselves

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:56pm
  51. those sons of BITCHES!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:01pm
  52. sad

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:17pm
  53. Haters mind your own fucking business !

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:17pm
  54. That aint right what they did 2 ol boy

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:18pm
  55. I had the same thing happen to me in Tucson, Arizona outside of a night club. The outcome of the case; no charges filed, not even for assault.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:34pm
  56. So wrong! Our government doesn’t protect us in the lgbt communities!! Illegal immigrants have more rights than we do!!! We are people! We are born Americans! Isn’t it “we the people”

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:38pm
  57. We have had several gay bashings in grand rapids, michigan over the past few years. I for one keep hoping to be bashed. However….it will end with their bodies being bagged and me being arrested. I don’t play that game. I say if you are attacked….kill the bastards!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:44pm
  58. Awful just awful…..no one has the right to judge so who the heck do they think THEY are? They arent fing God

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:10pm
  59. Gay bashing is stupid and when it turns into physical violence the people committing the acts reach a prime level of ignorance

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:11pm
  60. Cody Rogers is amazing. He was putting his physical safety in danger to stop a male from beating up on a woman. Only for it to be turned around on him, while be brutally assaulted for his sexual orientation as well?? Ignorant brutes, though they make me so furious, also make me have so much pity for them. Kudos to you Cody. Way to be a good man, and do what’s right. Sorry you were dealt with so much pain. I hope Karma comes back around and gives you so many blessings <3
    To those savage idiots, I hope someone smacks a wake-up call square on your forehead, along with some education.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:38pm
  61. and a dose of reality. Welcome to the 21st Century…..losers.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:40pm
  62. I hope justice will be served for the thugs who caused this beating……..it really hurts me so much that gays are getting hurt and they shouldnt have to deal with this abuse……….it gets better

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:57pm
  63. This makes me absolutely sick! What has to happen for people to change?

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:04pm
  64. Dislike!!! Hope his attackers are arrested.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:09pm
  65. I have the passion to fight back whenever it’s necessary.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:33pm
  66. Tch. People simply cannot accept difference. It’s pathetic. To make themselves feel better, and to ‘eliminate’ the “threat”, they lash out. >< I despise those people.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:10pm
  67. <3 to the gay community!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 11:47pm
  68. its funny, we never hear about attacks from homosexuals on anti gay people

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 11:58pm
  69. WTF!
    Are they sure they were humans who attacked that boy

Posted on Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 1:59am
  70. when will the insanity stop???

Posted on Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 2:29am