New Jersey

NJ Governor Chris Christie on same- sex marriage: ‘I won’t compromise’

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

NEW YORK — In an interview with CNN’s Piers Morgan on Tuesday evening, New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie said “I won’t compromise my principles for politics” regarding the issue of the same-sex marriage bill passed by the state legislature, which he vetoed last Friday.

Chris Christie

Christie has publicly stated that he regards marriage as an institution which is between a man and a woman and he says that his position is guided by his strong religious beliefs.

CNN has released a partial transcript of Tuesday’s interview:

[...] “And so what I’ve suggested to the legislature is, in a way, the only way we have to amend our constitution in New Jersey – which is by referendum – let’s put it on the ballot, let’s let people decide.”

“And if the people in New Jersey, as some of the same sex marriage advocates suggest the polls indicate are in favor of it, then my position would not be the winning position, but I’m willing to take that risk because I trust the people of the state,” he said.

When asked if he would ever change his mind on this issue as public opinion swings to supporting same-sex marriage — Washington state recently became the seventh in the nation, along with the District of Columbia, to allow gay marriage — Christie said he would not.

“I won’t compromise my principles for politics,” he said.

“You would never change your mind about this?” Morgan asked.

“I would not compromise my principles for politics. You’re saying, will it become politically unpopular to have the position I’m having? If it does, so be it. I don’t compromise my principles for politics,” Christie said.

Christie admitted he has gotten some flak from gay friends for his stance, but said it is guided by his Catholic faith.

The governor added that his position is “absolutely not” bigoted and slammed the suggestion that anyone might say otherwise.

“It’s my belief, it’s my core belief,” he said. “And I tell people that. And my friends, whether they be homosexual or not, they know me and they know I’m not bigoted.”

The New Jersey legislature has until January 2014 to muster enough votes for an override of Christie’s veto.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: New Jersey

1. What a fucking douche.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:36pm
  2. Fucking asshole. he needs to be removed from office

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:37pm
  3. Piece of shit!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:37pm
  4. He should have veto the cabs and fried food instead of marriage equality!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:37pm
  5. I hope one of his kids turns out to be gay.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:38pm
  6. A Republican who won’t compromise not a damn shock. I still say their party should switch from the elephant to the ostrich. They are continously sticking their heads in the sand when it comes to society progressing.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:38pm
  7. Goodness no, Taylor. I wouldn’t wish Chris Christie on any gay child.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:38pm
  8. i’ll just kiss ass, waiting for the slim chance of of a VP nod…ha!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:39pm
  9. Such a bafoon…such jackassery!!!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:39pm
  10. If one of his kids turned out to be gay, he’d probably stone em.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:40pm
  11. And ya know what, Christie? WE won’t compromise EITHER, a-hole!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:40pm
  12. When are these idiots going to learn that separation of church & state means just that. Tired of them using it when it’s convenient for them.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:40pm
  13. Asshole.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:40pm
  14. His principles?wow principles vs politics..it is his personnel issue..isn’t part of his job professionalism vs personnel?and it isn’t about what HE thinks or believes..it is about the people whom he is serving..dumbass

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:40pm
  15. Interesting since it was obviously a political move.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:41pm
  16. he won’t compromise his own health, this isn’t surprising.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:41pm
  17. Who knows, maybe he would change his whole opinion on same sex marriage, very slight chance but yeah.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:41pm
  18. …he is on the wrong side of history and I don’t want him on the right side.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:42pm
  19. name calling is stupid. He’s the head guy, let him do his head guy things and stop whining. your time will come.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:42pm
  20. It’s ok- he will be changing his tune once he can’t overthrow federal law. It will be here one day! We just can’t give up!!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:43pm
  21. We can only hope that he drops dead of a massive heart attack, mean? perhaps, but he deserves it.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:43pm
  22. Hey Christie – if you can’t do your job without compromising your religious principles, it’s time to quit. “If the time should ever come when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do the same.” – John F. Kennedy.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:44pm
  23. what a complete do@che bag!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:46pm
  24. Let us be Free…no bible in school…a holiday tree versus a Christmas tree….but hide your bigotry behind religion that you profess you respect all…..UGH! We fought for your freedoms…fight for ours!

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:46pm
  25. Denying equal rights to a group of people is a bigoted position and makes him a bigot. Saying it is a principled position does not change that.

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:46pm
  26. Please don’t. I am sure NJ will support your retirement from public life.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:33am
  27. Just ’cause no man will marry him?!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:34am
  28. Jack azz!!!!! Smh ugh

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:35am
  29. of course…compromise isnt what republicans do, i think we can all see that from listening to congress..

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:36am
  30. amen, as a gay women who just finally got married to my wife in Iowa , ppl like him shouldnt get retirment he wont let us retire with our life partner, i live in indiana n im not holding my breath for this state to comply with same sex marrige ne time soon. BUT i am praying we can soon.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:37am
  31. bigot u is and shall remain,but political bigot please learn about the sepration of church and state, and keep your faith out of your job,,its to serve many different faiths and not just your own narrow one

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:37am
  32. hes just another cave-in to the tea party crap

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:38am
  33. The very word “Principles” should curdle in his mouth.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:39am
  34. He’s being an asshlole!……..how would he like it if someone stopped all heavy or overweight ppl from getting married?…….Thats about as stupid as it is too keep gay , bi, or transgeneder ppl from marying!!! peace love and blessings! <3

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:40am
  35. I respect this man more and more. I rather have someone tell me in my face that they dont like than behind my back. We do have freedom of choice, to think and speech. If u dont like it, move to New York.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:40am
  36. Then perhaps he should step down and make room for someone who does not have such a conflict of interest….

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:41am
  37. Have another sandwich idiot, you suck at being a Govenor..

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:41am
  38. I’m with u Eric and I dont even live in Jersey

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:42am
  39. ok he would rather be part of a church that rapes children but wont compromise anything for gay marrige… something is wrong there!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:46am
  40. @Diane Miranda Weaver…although that would be a good way to get him to open his eyes,being overweight is still something people can change (unless its a medical condition),we have to get them to see that being gay isnt as easy as exercising to lose weight,its not a choice like it is as to whether or not someone want to eat all they time…but like I said,that would be a good idea :)

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:54am
  41. The* not they,sorry lol

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:55am
  42. Asshole

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 9:06am
  43. Then you are going to be sacked. Hope you enjoy losing the next election.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 9:09am
  44. Hello everyone! This petition was created to let New Jersey Governor Chris Christie know that his veto of Marriage Equality only makes us stronger!! Our voices will be heard!! As of this morning, we are reaching nearly 1,500 “voices” in only a few days!! Our goal is 100,000!! Help us reach that by signing and then “sharing” this on your FB page, Twitter, Tumblr.. whatever!! We can’t do this without your help! Thank you all!! http://www.change.org/petitions/governor-chris-christie-reconsider-your-veto-of-marriage-equality

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 9:12am
  45. Wow, “compromise MY principles for politics” then you certainly are not representing the people who voted you into office. What a shame, looks like MD gets to be 8 and NJ falls behind. We sure are looking to the revenues going to be generated along our eastern shore. Bring on the weddings to MD we’ll marry you. As Julia Roberts said: “Mistake, big mistake, no huge mistake”…

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 9:35am
  46. Hopefully come next election, the voters won’t compromise and vote the bum out.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 9:51am
  47. Christie compromises every day on the Sin of Gluttony.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:23am
  48. So he wants a vote? Has he never heard about Prop8?

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:24am
  49. Sadly politics isn’t about someone’s personal principles… they are about what is good for the community… Idiot.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:25am
  50. i live in nj…..i moved to florida once and hated it….i hate this fucking fatass who takes helicopter rides to his brats baseball games….hes done nothing but stupid shit since hes been in office and this and the lowering of the flags for whitney houston is the last straw…enough is enough lets impeach this fuckhead!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:27am