Hate group slams JC Penny for hiring Ellen DeGeneres as spokesperson

Thursday, February 2, 2012

TUPELO, Miss. — Retail giant J.C. Penney has come under fire from the anti-gay group “One Million Moms” over its recent hiring of hugely popular daytime television talk-show host, Ellen DeGeneres as its spokesperson.

Ellen DeGeneres

One Million Moms, “a project of the American Family Association” — an organization designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) — has launched a campaign demanding that the retailer fire DeGeneres because she’s gay.

“DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store,” says the group.

“Funny that J.C. Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families,” the group wrote on its website.

“More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless J.C. Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war, then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.”

In response to the attack launched on DeGeneres by the AFA, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) on Thursday launched an online campaign in her defense.

“While designated hate groups try to start ‘culture wars,’ it’s clear that a vast majority of Americans today support Ellen as well as their LGBT friends and family members,” said Herndon Graddick, a senior GLAAD official, in a statement

“Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LGBT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture,” Graddick said.

JC Penney officials indicated they would not surrender to the AFA’s demands.

“We share the same fundamental values as Ellen,” noted the company’s President, Michael Francis. “At J. C. Penney, we couldn’t think of a better partner to help us put the fun back into the retail experience.”

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. Seriously, who the hell could dislike Ellen for any reason? She’s one of the most amazing people ever.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:48pm
  2. Fuck the haters and good for Ellen DeGeneres.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:49pm
  3. got to love the ignorant , bigoted h8 groups… they just gave Ellen and J.C. Penney free advertising!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:49pm
  4. Oh for fuck’s sake. It’s Ellen! How can they be hatin’ on her?

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:50pm
  5. seriously?! fucked up

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:50pm
  6. Ellen is awesome. Anybody who doesn’t like her has serious problems.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:50pm
  7. you go Ellen!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:51pm
  8. Yeah Ellen! Yeah JCP!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:51pm
  9. Most HATE GROUPS are in the MINORITY of low IQ Republicans. I think they just have SERIOUS Constipation issues!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:52pm
  10. 2nd best thing to happen for JC Penney after Ellen. I for one will make and effort to shop there now. She is more loved than than they are.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:52pm
  11. I would shop frickin anywhere Ellens face is plastered! <3

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:53pm
  12. Maybe now I’ll actually shop at JCPenny

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:53pm
  13. Good….they wont be in the store shopping while I am there then

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:53pm
  14. This is so 4 hours ago!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:54pm
  15. I always liked Penny’s-all the more so now. Those dumb, backward-ass, stuck in another, stupider era bitches.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:55pm
  16. Some people need a life. “One million moms” ? Coincidently they sound like “One Million Idiots.”

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:55pm
  17. People grow up…please

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:55pm
  18. What if….JC Penney hired her because, follow me on this one, she is funny and nice!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:56pm
  19. I love Ellen! :DD

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:57pm
  20. I am so sick of this crap.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:57pm
  21. She does Covergirl too, so what

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:58pm
  22. She is also extremely popular, beautiful, genuine, A Cover Girl, and God knows why would we want anyone like that to represent an American Icon like J.C.Penney…LOL. These hate groups are full of EVIL.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:58pm
  23. How pathetic is that!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:58pm
  24. Who cares about them? I think they are all just inbred freaks…

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:58pm
  25. WTF I didn’t even know there were people who openly admitted to hating Ellen. She’s, like, the purest soul on the planet.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:59pm
  26. ya!!!those hate groups said disney would go under too! guess what they dont sell there size of underware there anyway lol

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:00pm
  27. love is louder than hate!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:01pm
  28. obv. todays moms are dumb and need to know that ellen is one to be there for everyone

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:01pm
  29. I didn’t know JCPenny hired Ellen. I’m so shopping there now…

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:02pm
  30. How the HELL can anyone hate Ellen? O.o

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:02pm
  31. Once again- another example of people having WAY too much time on their hands. What’s the point ? As if JCP is gonna go out of business or something. I wish these people would use all this time they obviously have for something good and productive. Ellen is friggin awesome, way to go JCP

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:02pm
  32. wow this is stupid..people should just chill out.. I mean come on Attacking a retail just because they choose a gay-affirming spokeperson…give me a break. there are more stuff to hate…such as racism, sexism, bigotry, and etc.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:02pm
  33. I’m becoming speechless.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:06pm
  34. This is barely even worthy of a sigh, head shake and eye roll. These people are just sad and pathetic. Talk about having way too much time on your hands. Bored housewives with apparently not enough to do. Here is a suggestion, ladies: Start a book club, you might learn something.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:07pm
  35. Will this stuff never END!!! “One million Moms”? Who ARE these people? Have they been living under a rock or something? Sheesh!! Didn’t know about this, but I say congrats to JC Penney for a great business decision. Ellen’s great and any company or group would be lucky to have her as their spokesperson. Congrats to Ellen too.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:12pm
  36. LOL this “breaking news” coming from Mississippi doesn’t surprise me in the least.
    They’re notoriously known for their support of hate groups as well as their “justified” public display of racism.
    It’s the south.
    What’d we expect?

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:12pm
  37. Go Get’em Ellen!!! Can they really find something else to have a problem with..just anythang!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:14pm
  38. REALLY!!!……Cause jcp is wholesome and Ellen is pretty fucking wholesome so WTF?

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:19pm
  39. Amen.and fuck the haters!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:20pm
  40. As long as the AFA gets mentioned…

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:22pm
  41. One Million Moms is upset that JC Penney hired Ellen Degeneres as an advertising spokeswoman?!?!? They must shop at Kmart and be tired of Martha Stewart!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:24pm
  42. I am a faithful customer of JC Penny, I am a heterosexual, married woman, and an avid supporter of my LGBTQ friends and family. “One Million Moms” is way off-base in its assumption that JC Penny will lose more customers than it will gain because of their decision to hire Ellen. I don’t see Ellen as a “gay entertainer”; I see her as a funny, honest woman who has a wonderful way of viewing the world. JC Penny did well to choose Ellen as their spokesperson!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:26pm
  43. “just keep swimming, just keep swimming ” I wonder how many “one million moms” children have been entertained by finding nemo , i.e. dory played by Ellen . Lol I bet they don’t complain when she’s keeping their kids happy for two hours .

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:27pm
  44. What an astute decision it was for JC Penny to have hired Ellen DeGeneres! For a store I hardly ever patronize, JC Penny at least has garnered my greater respect, for possible future purchases I may make there.
    As for the sour grapes of OMM, that fascist group should wake up and smell the coffee of reality! Because OMM is stridently anti-gay, they are uber fascistic and anti-American! What a bunch of bigots!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:30pm
  45. What a bunch of shit ppl don’t have anything better to do but talk shit

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:31pm
  46. THose assholes hate themselves, for God sakes..Or would they rather have one of their own, Newt Gingrich? Oh yeah, now THERE’S a pillar of sanctity…UGH

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:35pm
  47. Fuck that group. Ellen DeGeneres is a flawless human being.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:36pm
  48. You go that right! :)

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:36pm
  49. “One Million Moms” – if they allowed lesbian couples they could double their numbers.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:38pm
  50. One Million Morons, why do we care? I love.Ellen!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:39pm
  51. Damn people man. I absolutely love Ellen..

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:39pm
  52. I’ll shop at JCP!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:40pm
  53. Oh for the love of god…

The more I read the close-minded & ignorant posts on the OMM page, the more outraged I become.
    If they keep representing themselves & others in such an offensively biased light, they should reconsider naming their group the “One Million Bitches.”

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:41pm
  54. No Worries Ellen, Those women are jealous because they can’t operate a hand tool, so they’re stuck going to Sears! Love Ya! Oh, and by the way, according to the One Million Moms website, they’re agenda is “OMM is strictly an online campaign focusing primarily on the entertainment media (television, music, movies, etc.). The goal of this campaign is to stop the exploitation of children by such media.”
    I think Ellen being the Spokesperson for the roll out of JC Penny’s New Media Campaign is wrongly focused. Dare I say okay to Joe Camel and Smoking, now there’s an appropriate topic to safeguard children, not Ellen, a beautiful, strong woman to show ALL girls (and boys) that they too can be anything they want to be!
    I’m starting to think there’s something really wrong with the water in this country because people are being REALLY STUPID… Just Sayin

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:49pm
  55. Tell”em to stick in the back of their SUVs, JC Penny!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:50pm
  56. Dear Ellen DeGeneres,

I’m so sorry you were targeted by this revolting group, One Million Moms, a gaggle more aptly named One Million Gorgon Medusas, but I’m sure you’re following the second of The Four Agreements: Don’t Take Anything Personally. I certainly hope they don’t succeed in thwarting your alliance with J. C. …Penney. If they do, I will stop shopping there. I will also encourage all my Facebook friends to surround all the stores and picket in a counter clockwise procession armed with bullhorns and loudly protesting the chain’s homophobia in a show of mass, unified outrage. I posted the following message on my wall:

“Ellen is practically the personification of Love, Compassion and Gentleness. She radiates Good Heart. It’s hard for me to imagine Jesus smiling down on this toxic, hateful, grossly misinformed and dangerously heretical sect. They should be ashamed of themselves! I’d say their souls were at risk, but I’m afraid their cupboards are already bare! Who are they going to vilify next, Bo Peep?!!”

I’m sure I speak for One Trillion Moms, One Trillion Dads, One Trillion Teens, One Trillion Tweens and One Trillion Others when I proudly declare: I love you and I support you, Ellen!

Sincerely,

Craig Campbell

Columbus, Ohio

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:51pm
  57. gay or no gay, she is fun, intelligent and charming. She has great values and respects people around her. She is a great person to hire to be a spokesperson

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:52pm
  58. You go Ellen! You suck haters.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:57pm
  59. Interesting that they hired Ellen. Maybe JCP has changed…for the better. I was employed for many years with JCP, and from my experience, JCP was always anti-gay!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:57pm
  60. “One Million Moms” is nothing but a hate group. GO Ellen!!!!!! So tired of HATE, hate, hate.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:14pm
  61. Just think how much this will cost
    One Million Moms?

Y’all should be feeding the homeless. Instead of hating people who Love each other.

May you all be blessed.
    With glbt grandchildren.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:24pm
  62. One million mom’s, yeah like theres no lesbians among that many women.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:32pm
  63. I wonder how many million moms watch her show every day?!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:38pm
  64. okk seriously? -.- I LOVE HER :D

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:48pm
  65. God, these people need a hobby…

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:53pm
  66. I love JD Penney. I get most of my clothes there. And I am thrilled that they have hired Ellen as their spokesperson!

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 11:47pm
  67. So what? Only traditional mom’s wear makeup and cover girl should also fire her? Stupid idiots

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 12:25am
  68. Who can hate Ellen? I don’t get it, she’s amazing.

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 1:04am
  69. customers may believe homosexuality is wrong or sin, but I doubt having ellen as spokesperson will make the company loose customers. She is liked by everyone even my homophobic religious dad. And who is to say homosexuals arent family people….. Seriously….. Ever seen modern family?

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 1:43am
  70. There are no JC Penny stores in Australia, but there is a whole lot of love for Ellen Degeneres! Heard this on the news in Australia. Had to go to the internet to check out what JC Penny was. I can say from Downunder – we LOVE Ellen. JC Penny come Downunder – you sound like a cool store to me! Ellen is universally loved. Give it up AFA, you make America look ugly. I agree with my sisters above – love trumps hate. AFA you lose!

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 1:54am
  71. if jc penny backs out they will go on my personal boycott list.

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 2:22am
  72. Refresh my memory….wasn’t JC Penney under fire for selling a PADDED TRAINING BRA targeting 8-11 years olds? Okay, it’s fine to sexualize little girls too early and make them think they need superboobs to be loved, but having Ellen hired is bad? *shakes head in disgust*

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 3:14am
  73. karma always wins in the end

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 3:46am
  74. It looks that JC penney will support Ellen.

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 4:47am
  75. People need to get over it!! Look how much Ellen has done for so many different people!!

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 5:20am
  76. Really? They don’t have anything better to do? How can u not love Ellen anyway?

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 5:38am
  77. Kudos to JCP! Provincetown loves Ellen!

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:14am
  78. well i guess all the lesbian and gays r gonna have better shopping experience in jc penny with out all the stuck up biotches that r there spending there better then gold thinking money

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:35am
  79. Hooray for Penney’s!!!! Stay with the program!!

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:36am
  80. I, personally, find Ellen DeGeneres to be overhyped (rather like Oprah), but am happy JCP refuses to bow down to those troglodytes.

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:54am
  81. I bet you..If we had one of those ignorant bigoted moms stand at any one of the entrances of a store and had two women walk in side by side (one being straight the other lesbian) wearing the exact same outfit, accessories and all…that mom would not be able to tell which was which. So WHERE in the heck did they get their information for the statement that “most of the shoppers at Penneys are ‘traditional’ families”? I wanna see the numbers. I WANT PROOF!! These people are complete IDIOTS!!!!!

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 7:00am
  82. As a lesbian mother of 2 boys I for one am proud of JC Penney’s for their choice! I rarely go to their store however now that there is such controversy I will make a point to start shopping there as often as possible!

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 8:22am
  83. I get attacked from some people saying that it’s too gay and you’ve gone too far. I get letters saying “I was gonna kill myself but because of you, I didn’t. Thank you.” Which is more important? -Ellen Degeneres defending her sitcom to Diane Sawyer in 1998

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 8:26am
  84. couldnt think of a better spokesperson, JC penny will be seeing more of my cash

Posted on Friday, February 3, 2012 at 11:44am