Florida gay Republicans hail Romney victory

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Gay Republicans joined many of their straight counterparts in Florida Tuesday night in congratulating former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for his decisive victory in the Florida Republican primary.

Mitt Romney

But R. Clarke Cooper, executive director of the national Log Cabin Republicans, while also congratulating Romney, cautioned him against engaging in “anti-gay pandering or divisive social politics.”

Cooper told the Blade his comment was a reference to statements Romney has made in news media interviews over the past several months in which he appeared to be appealing to conservative voters hostile to gay rights.

Officials with Log Cabin’s chapters in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa areas said support for Romney was strong among LGBT Republicans in the state. Romney won by a lopsided margin in a Jan. 28 straw poll of Log Cabin members at an informal gay Republican caucus in Miami.

“I’m pleased that Romney won,” said Andy Eddy, board member of Log Cabin Republicans of Broward County, which includes the city of Fort Lauderdale and the nearby gay enclave Wilton Manors.

“Many of our members support him and believe he has the best chance of beating Obama,” he said.

With 100 percent of the election precincts counted, Romney captured 46 percent of the vote. His closest rival, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich received 32 percent, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum received 13 percent, and Texas Congressman Ron Paul received 7 percent.

In Florida’s winner take all primary, Romney captured 50 delegates, giving him a boost going into a series of upcoming primaries and caucuses leading up to Super Tuesday on March 6, when 10 states hold primaries.

“This big win for Gov. Romney makes it all but certain that he will emerge as the nominee of the Republican Party,” said Jimmy LaSalvia, executive director of the gay conservative group GOProud.

Continue reading at the Washington Blade

[wb12]

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Florida

1. this is ridiculous. I still can’t believe that LGBT people would support him after his claims that he’ll pass a constitutional ban on marriage for LGBT people.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:43am
  2. is GAY REPUBLICAN not an oxymoron? and did Romney CHANGE his position on gay rights and marriage? HOW exactly does it benefit gays to be A) republican and B) Romney supporters???

someone PLEASE explain!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:44am
  3. please explain “gay republican” sounds like an oxymoron to me ???

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:44am
  4. gay republikkkans….makes as much sense as Jewish nazis or Muslim bacon tasters…how do these traitors sleep at night???

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:45am
  5. Many gays are into self-destructive behaviors. NOT ALL and certainly not the majority, but it comes as no surprise to me that many gays are also so concerned about money – and only money – that they will gladly sacrifice any freedom – for money.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:45am
  6. Ditto .. a gay republican !!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:46am
  7. dislike

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:47am
  8. ….this is going to end badly..I can already tell…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:48am
  9. Praise the man that thinks you are 2nd class citizens! That’s the spirit!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:50am
  10. @ Jerry Blackburn………….I so agree!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:50am
  11. The KAPOs at GOProud have switched sides already and thrown Newtie Patootie to the wolves. Shows just how much loyalty a Republican fag has.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:51am
  12. Who gives a fuck about any voter that supports a NOM-pledge signing gay basher? Seriously who gives a fuck? They are announcing to the world that gay rights are not their first priority. Or even one of their top ten priorities. Have you read the NOM pledge today?

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:51am
  13. Gay republican in an oxymoron.. after the things that party has said and done ..HOW THE HELL CAN A LGBTQ EVEN THINK ABOUT BEING REPUBLICAN

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:51am
  14. You guys are so mean and childish. I know people who are gay and Latino that are republicans. I know most republicans are against gay marriage and against immigration but I still support my friends.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:52am
  15. Come on guys, don’t hate on gay republicans. I feel like an outcast within this group that advocates equal rights. That includes political standpoint. Just because someone is a democrat doesn’t automatically mean they’re all for gay rights or more progress would have been when democrats were the majority in congress (that is assuming congressmen and congresswomen actually do any work, of course).

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:53am
  16. I saw posted awhile ago that he was an animal abuser.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:53am
  17. Just to clarify, I support Ron Paul, not this moron :)

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:54am
  18. I can understand being gay and being a Republican. Some people who are gay do have more conservative views than liberal views. However, I don’t know why they would support Mitt Romney if he wants to ban gay marriage.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:56am
  19. I don’t see any difference between gay Republicans and gay Democrats, both groups are highly partisan and support candidates who don’t support marriage equality or gay rights. I shan’t be voting for Mitt storming Mormon Romney nor Barack black Bush HomophObama, both of them oppose marriage equality. I’ll vote for someone who supports my rights such as Gary Johnson.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:57am
  20. Seriously?!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:57am
  21. Gay Republicans confuse me almost as much as black Republicans–why would you vote for someone who doesn’t want you to have rights?

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 10:58am
  22. I completely agree with Sikandar

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:01am
  23. Who spiked their drinks and how do they feel this morning?

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:01am
  24. Have they lost their minds!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:03am
  25. Self loathing to want to be part of the GOP… or maybe they are just too arrogant to believe that the GOP hates them…. Either way they are fucked up in the noggin….

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:03am
  26. How many Gay Republicans???

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:04am
  27. “Gay Republicans confuse me almost as much as black Republicans–why would you vote for someone who doesn’t want you to have rights?” This is an entirely valid question Sikandar,, very valid. But why don’t you ask this of gay and lesbian voters who voted for Obama?? Remember, Barack Obama has consistently opposed marriage equality in both word and action, from the campaign trail to right now. So while you are right to ask Republicans, why are you not also asking Democrats?

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:05am
  28. For the record I am NOT a Democrat nor a Republican, I am a progressive independent, I vote Green, Libertarian, Democrat and on occaision for that one decent Republican candidate. And I cannot understand why so many people bash gay Republicans simply for being Republican. There are gay Libertarians, gay Greens, gay Republicans, gay Democrats, gay Socialists, gay Communists, gay Liberals, gay Conservatives, gay Nationalists, etc. There are gay Republicans, like Fred Karger, who are adamant supporters of equal rights and marriage equality. — I don’t understand this bigotry towards gay Republicans. If there is any marriage I don’t support, it’s the marriage of a cause with a political party. Gay does NOT = Democrat. And Democrat does NOT = supportive of Gay rights and Marriage Equality. Look at Obama, or as I call him HomophObama, he is an opponent of Marriage Equality and has been a major backstabber of the gay community. He defended DADT and DOMA in court for more than two years, he’s broken every promise he’s made to gay people AND he is OPPOSED to marriage equality. So if you don’t like Mitt Romney cos he opposes marriage equality, then common sense and logic would dictate that you shouldn’t like Barack Obama either. Why is it that Romney gets bashed, for doing the exact same thing as Obama, yet Obama gets a pass?!?!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:13am
  29. This entire computer screen is not big enough for me to fit my rant on a soap box…..

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:13am
  30. I don’t get the term Gay Republican – it’s an oxymoron for me. What’s wrong with those people?

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:13am
  31. Dear NON White NON heterosexual republicans, Your chosen party, if EVER given the opportunity to do so, WILL put your RIGHTS as an American up for popular vote. If you are not already an American citizen, please be prepared to be exiled back to your country of origin. If you are GLBTQ and American, you’re going to hell for not being right with God and the bible. No one who is NON white or NON heterosexual shall be given any SPECIAL rights. Thanks for your support and donations to our candidates. Sincerely, the Republican / Tea party.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:14am
  32. The GOP is not a party supportive of diversity, acceptance, or social equality. No idea how people not see this.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:14am
  33. Ron Paul is the best possible candidate for gays (and everyone) in America. obama supports seperate but equal marriage laws-dr. paul wants the government out and wants free people to be able to do as they please! Paul voted to repeal DADT and is against an ammendment banning gay marriage…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:18am
  34. We have a cheney a bush and a mccain supporting gay marriage. kinda pathetic we cant get an obama…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:21am
  35. Brandon, im stealing that for my status.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:22am
  36. must be some powerful kool-aid in Florida
    fuktards.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:24am
  37. Brandon, you’re full of shit. Ron Paul supported DOMA and uses the state’s rights argument. Ron Paul not only opposes marriage equality, he wants to privatize marriage, which will lead to legal chaos. Marriage is a legal/civil contract, without the government to officiate, it is meaningless and does nothing to protect the rights of same-sex couples including but not limited to, immigration, property ownership, child custody, etc. Ron Paul supporters misrepresent what Ron Paul actually believes. If you want to vote for a REAL Libertarian, look at Gary Johnson, who REALLY supports marriage equality.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:24am
  38. Why would we be celebrating his victory? He still doesn’t support full rights to the gay community. This is exactly what Republicans are good at, they go so extreme that the “middle line” has actually been dragged to the right. If you can’t see that, you’re blind. If we were smart, we should celebrate the victory of one of the crazy extremes because it’ll be much easier for Obama to win against the likes of the insane and hateful Santorum or the bigoted moon-colonizer, Gingrich.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:27am
  39. Really “Gay Republicans” supporting this duchebag?!?…. What is wrong with them?!?… They most be kissing Romney’s Ass because of $$$…. That’s what every stupid republican does!!… Grrrr it makes me so mad!!…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:28am
  40. Why would they be glad a homophob like Romney won?

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:33am
  41. And now we’re fighting amongst ourselves. That’s absolutely great. Good job, guys.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:33am
  42. I will never understand things like this

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:35am
  43. I know I’m going to be attacked for this, but so be it.

Gay rights is not the only issue in this election. Economics, trade, Internet regulation, government limitations, use of federal funds – gay rights is one of many things that needs to get ironed out. From what I understand, Romney is the least gay-bashing candidate in the Republican primary.

Face it: if you’re conservative and gay, you’re either going to vote for Obama (selling out most of your beliefs) or for the Republican candidate (which may or may not contradict your stance on equality). Because the two groups are so polarized at this point, there is nobody for the moderates to vote for. You have to assume that candidates exaggerate their actual views to appeal to the strongest groups, which are generally either terrifyingly liberal or horrifyingly conservative.

TL;DR version: congrats, you’re fighting over something that is a personal choice.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:43am
  44. I know gay Republicans and have seen members of the Log Cabin Republicans on shows like Rachel Maddow. (FYI: I’m not a Republican nor Democrat but vote Democrat because social issues are on my highest priority list.) It is my opinion and my opinion only, that I feel the fiscal ideology of the business side of Republicanism is very important and embedded into these individuals and are willing to sacrifice, to a point, any social progress for the LGBT community which includes worker protections and rights which isn’t part of Republican ideology anyway for anyone. It is unrestrained free-market capitalism (dog-eat-dog survival of the fittest mentality) based on the individual rather than collectively with safeguards.

The battle these gay Republicans have is the growing choke hold the Christian Evangelical right has had on the party since the Pandora’s Box was opened several decades ago when the Republican Party wooed them into their flock, a total disaster as seen today for the entire party and a battle for all business priority Republicans.

Romney, I feel, is inherently a moderate but as all moderates who want to stay in the party have had to surrender to the extreme ideology of these religious extremists. It is wrong and it is only destroying the Republican party.

Again, it is a lonely battle for these “gay Republicans” who are not only vilified by the religious extremist block of the party but also mocked and “spit-on” by fellow “brothers and sisters” of the LGBT community.

As for comments regarding President Obama being anti-gay, he has shown enlightenment in a positive direction and made true on his commitment to overturn DADT. He is for civil unions and will not support DOMA. He may in his heart be for same-sex marriage, no one knows for sure, but he has to tread on delicate waters of the majority staying centered while moving with the tide of change. He is a centrist.

And this is where the Democratic Party is different from the Republican Party; that is, the Democrat is free to move with the tide and not be imprisoned in shackles like the Republicans in regard to social issues. We can see it just by the wide range of people in the Democratic party from the Blue Dogs, conservatives, centrists, moderates, progressives, liberals, and the extreme left like Kucinich (Cleveland Ohio).

I will not mock the gay Republican or consider them traitors to to the movement toward equalities for the LGBT community but feel sadness in their lonely trek with some level of admiration for their lonely fight and that they are being true to themselves. Namaste.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:51am
  45. This not going to benefift the gay community at all.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:52am
  46. Gay Republican is an oxymoron! I’m glad they’re happy giving up their rights as full citizens so they can be allowed to enjoy their money and play with the rich folk (that’s what this is all about.)

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:56am
  47. Isn’t he against gay marriage??? I just watched 5 videos on him and he does not seem to be headed towards equalizing any of our rights! Why is this a victory??? I’m so confused! I thought ron paul was good, but someone said he is against us too! I’m starting to feel there is no hope for a candidate suitable to take office, there are so many liars and people willing to say anything, its hard to tell who will truly help us.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 11:57am
  48. Mr. Romney I don’t care if I have to live in a cardboard box with no money at all, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE MY SUPPORT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PRY MY RIGHTS AS AN EQUAL AMERICAN CITIZENS OUT OF MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:00pm
  49. he’s a disgrace to all Americans

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:05pm
  50. Come on brandon give credit where credit is due, thats a bill maher joke lol

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:24pm
  51. Self loathing idiots. Go sit at the back of the bus gay repugs, yes I said repugs. Apologize for being gay…sheesh!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:29pm
  52. Susan Long, gay repugs are NOT my brothers or my sisters!

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:31pm
  53. Just because you have rights now doesn’t mean that you will have them in the future. Romney is not my choice. Don’t fall for it. Don’t ever forget who funded Proposition 8 in California. I think this GOP race is weak to begin with….same OLD same OLD.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:46pm
  54. Maybe, just maybe, because they agree with the Republicans on other issues. Does anyone here REALLY agree with either of the major political parties (or even minor parties) on EVERY issue? Maybe they feel those other issues are more important to the nation as a whole. If someone agrees with more stances than they disagree with when it comes to a political party, what is your suggestion? Should they be a One Issue voter? Even if they feel that the party that agrees with them on that one stance would be completely disastrous on all other issues?

And if you really think the Democratic Party gives two shits about you, you are fooling yourself. Niether party cares about anything except power. Insulting each other over politics is futile. All you are doing is fighting over who your slave master will be.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:56pm
  55. those things make me so sick, it boggles the mind to think that any gay person could like a republican, its like a jew liking a nazi…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:57pm
  56. Gay Republican..there’s there’s an oxyMORON if ever there was..:(

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 1:07pm
  57. There can be no Gay Republicans unless they are self hating – Unless they think they deserve to be treated like lepers – sinners – G-d forsaken detestable people or Unless they think they deserve less equal opportunities and rights given to to even the worst heterosexual couple examples. There are no issues in the Republican platform that make their abuse, lies, blatant disrespect & obvious detest
    For LGBTs something anyone should ignore just to vote a specific party. IT IS WRONG ( there is no good that can out weigh anything this bad ) and IT IS TIME that ALL people -LGBTs and anyone who LOVES or supports them individually or as a group- refused to support anyone who fights for THEIR INEQUALITY. (Continued)

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 1:58pm
  58. Don’t say you care or love them and the vote for leaders/politicians who keep them beat down and speak out against them. Speak up people stop being cowards – speak up in your churches- in your schools-in your workplacesi in your families- and to your Friends! The HOLY ONE expects more of you the gays who love you expect more and they deserve more! I voted democrat all my life but no more – I love my gay son – the world is lucky to have him- a wonderful contribution to humanity he makes daily – working in the medical field treating those who hate what he is ( if they knew) with the same skill and compassion as those who knowingly support him! Never again will I compromise his furture for a pack of republican lies that are suppose to make me over look their venemous hate for gays.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 2:00pm
  59. As a gay Republican I get called a lot of names, traitor, self hating, etc by the community. The issue is true conservatism is the only way to preserve gay rights. If these people who bash it would actually read up on it they would see that. Liberty is freedom from government influence and true conservatism professes that. I want the government out of my bedroom and my private life. The problem with gay liberals is they want the government to act on a private issue. This is counterproductive, as it throws it in the face of others, and causes more intolerance. Everyone is so concerned with gay marriage, what about our tanking economy, national defense, tax laws? There are so many other issues that are so much more important. It wont make a bit of a difference is gay marriage is legal if we are a third world country because we support bad economic policies that are bankrupting us as a nation. I just don’t understand the hate, we are supposed to be a community. I guess if you don’t have the group mentality you are an enemy. That is kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 2:48pm
  60. I have always said that hate bigotry and ignorance comes from all ages, genders, races and sexual identity. Just because a person is Gay or Lesbian does not imply they are any smarter or bigot free than their heterosexual counterparts. Thank God I do not live in a Log Cabin.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 2:57pm
  61. RON PAUL is best all the way around.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 3:00pm
  62. Rodney, actually, Obama is the most gay friendly president the country has ever had. Granted he initially claimed that he was against gay marriage because of his religion, but he recently stated that this isn’t a decision that his religion should decide for other people.
    Here is a list of everything that he has done for the LGBT community in four years alone
    It scares me that people are so quick to slam Obama, when they themselves don’t look at what he has actually done! They hate the man so much, and most don’t know why, and they are willing to vote people into office, who frankly, will run this country into the ground…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 3:14pm
  63. http://gayusathemovie.com/2012/02/california-prop-8-video-ruling-tomorrow-am/
    The United States Courts for the 9th circuit anticipates filing an opinion tomorrow Thursday February 2nd, 2012 by 10am regarding the public release of video tapes made of the civil bench trial in Perry v. Hollingsworth, in the Proposition 8 case. Please note that this is not the main appeal regarding the constitutionality question.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 3:14pm
  64. Excuse me??? Did I miss something??? I understand where people can disagree on political and economic views and policies – BUT Romney has signed NOM’s Anti-GLBT pledge AND has said if elected he will propose a Constitutional Amendment to BAN GAY MARRIAGE….What he did as Governor of Massachussetts is in THE PAST – Why ANYONE who is GLBT, or supporting and loving of GLBT FOLK is beyond my comprehension. It seems to me that that would be tatamount to a Voting-for-the FUHRER-SUICIDE in Nazi Germany. So much for continuing to seek for us GLBT FOLK to be FIRST CLASS CITIZENS along with the rest of America……

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 3:28pm
  65. This makes no sense…

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 4:06pm
  66. On a psychological standpoint, it makes sense for some gays to be Republicans. It stems from the feeling of “wanting to fit in.” When people loathe you for no good reason, for nothing that you did in particular, you find yourself wanting to work extremely hard for their approval. Some gay people want to be Republicans so they can be patted on the head by those who hate them. They are like dogs who have been yelled at for no reason and are now pouting with their tails between their legs, just trying to look cute so they can be treated better. It’s pathetic, really.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 4:16pm
  67. to me, Gay Republican is an oxymoron, almost bordering on a single syllable.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 4:51pm
  68. Well, if you don’t have a lot to choose from you take the least bad.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 5:30pm
  69. You can’t compare Obama and Romney. Obama has never supported a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. Moreover, he has done more for gays and lesbians in terms of rights than any other president before him. I also think that if given a second term, Obama will support marriage rights. Even Gene Roberts recently said that marriage equality is not a fight Obama should take on right now. Sometimes gays will cut off their noses to spite their faces. Good luck with Romney. One of my fears is that Romney (who is opposed to gay marriage) will appoint more conservatives to the Supreme Court, which is where marriage will likely be decided, and if the court goes the wrong way, it could destroy marriage rights for a long time.

Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 6:30pm
  70. Once I get started on this rant, won’t be able to Stop…So to save my time posting it & you having to read, probably giving up before the end because sooooo Long, I’ll just leave it at:

“CHOICE of 2 EVILS is REALLY NO CHOICE at ALL!”

*NO H8* NO Bigotry, NO Hypocrisy, NO Prevarication, NO Ignorance, NO Prejudice, NO Apathy, NO Spewing Anti_____Comments, etc
    *ONLY LUV* Acceptance, Support, Comfort, Protection, Taking Action, Honesty, Loyalty, Friendship, Generosity, Caring, Tolerance, etc

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 3:12am
  71. I am a gay Republican. There is more to politics than LGBT issues.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 4:35am
  72. What the hell is a gay republican? I have asked this question and got many answers, yet none make sense. The republicans are money chasing, gay bashing, homophobic racist, old man party of this country. Good luck dealing with a party that base it’s life on a fictional book. This is the United States of America…Not the United States of Jesus Land.

Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 9:49am