Ellen responds to ‘One Million Moms:’ ‘My haters are my motivators’

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ellen DeGeneres on Wednesday publicly responded to the anti-gay group “One Million Moms,” which recently called on retailer JC Penney to fire her as their spokesperson because she is gay.

One Million Moms, “a project of the American Family Association” — an organization designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) — said that “DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store,” and called on JC Penney to stay out of the “culture war.”

In her monologue Wednesday, DeGeneres addressed the controversy for the first time, and said, “Normally I try not to pay attention to my haters, but this time, I’d like to talk about it because my haters are my motivators.”

“Not that anyone’s counting… for a group that calls themselves ‘One Million Moms,’ they only have 40,000 members on their (Facebook) page,” she added.

Watch:

JC Penney have been unwavering in their support for DeGeneres, and released a statement this week saying they “stand behind [their] partnership.”

“We share the same fundamental values as Ellen,” noted the company’s President, Michael Francis. “At J. C. Penney, we couldn’t think of a better partner to help us put the fun back into the retail experience.”

In a blog post on a AFA website earlier today, AFA spokesperson Bryan Fisher wrote that JC Penney’s hiring of DeGeneres will lead to more depression, suicide, and breast cancer among women who become lesbians due to the store’s choice of spokesperson.”

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life, Newsmakers

1. congratulations to you and jcp rah rah rah

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:08pm
  2. and I guess they think that Gays and Lesbians don’t have mommas too? Hmm. they haven’t met mine, she’d drop kick their sorry asses, cuz my momma loves me! ;)

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:08pm
  3. Great Attitude Ellen.. One Million moms???? More like fourty thousand moms!!! You Go Ellen!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:09pm
  4. Thats Right! Let Em Be Your Motivation

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:11pm
  5. Love it!!!! And all those mom’s are prob cheating on their husbands with younger men or even WOMEN!!! They are all just so unhappy that they have to bring everyone else down with them!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:12pm
  6. More like 1 million morons. GO ELLEN!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:12pm
  7. Oh man I love her!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:12pm
  8. Love Ellen!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:13pm
  9. Right on Ellen!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:14pm
  10. THIS mama supports Ellen! Shame on those moms! Each and everyone!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:14pm
  11. How could you hate her. Ever?!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:14pm
  12. Ellen you are awesome. Congratulations for making a good decision to partner with JC Penny they are a corporation with integrity.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:15pm
  13. Ellen is my hero.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:15pm
  14. Awesome..Ellen you rock

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:17pm
  15. I love her so much.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:17pm
  16. go ellen and jc =]

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:17pm
  17. They round to the nearest million? lol… i guess they couldn’t find 960,000 other bigots to join their hateful parade

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:19pm
  18. Go Ellen

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:20pm
  19. LOVE Ellen! So proud of JC Penney too!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:23pm
  20. I have no clue as to why there are so much haters in the world today. I mean look at past spokespeople thats out there today. If anything, people will shop more at jcp now than ever before. Yeah protesting will speak volumes but actions speak louder than words, in my opinion. I’m happy to say that I’m a gay male and no one, especially a group of narrow minded people are going to stop me from living my life. So to all the hatera out there I say this *in my classic Flo impression* “Kiss my grits!!”

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:24pm
  21. For the “one million moms” I want face book to make a dislike button. =] Ellen’s Awesome.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:24pm
  22. Go Ellen.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:25pm
  23. GO ELLEN! <3 <3

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:29pm
  24. I weep for their kids.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:31pm
  25. Go Ellen…I have always liked JCP and now I love them and applaud them for standing their ground!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:32pm
  26. Haters go away!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:32pm
  27. Well put Ellen. Every day you become more and more my hero.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:33pm
  28. go Ellen & J.C.Penny….I am one of ur customers:-)

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:33pm
  29. well i did watch ellen today, as i do every wednesday. i just wanna say hell yes! all the haters out there can go find a new topic or group to treat like crap! we (family) are not going anywhere! thanks ellen…..for speaking out for all of us!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:33pm
  30. I love you Ellen!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:40pm
  31. This is amazing and JC Penney has done the right thing!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:45pm
  32. Wait, breast cancer? How’d they drag that into this?

Also, did anyone see Bill O’Reilly’s segment on this? It was surprisingly awesome.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:46pm
  33. Dear LGBTQ I cannot be long in responding to this as I am off to shop at JC Penney. Never shopped there before but now it sounds like a great corporation who supports all shoppers and spokespersons. Bye for now….

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:52pm
  34. today her monologue was SO great!! i am proud to be a lesbian… ;-)

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:53pm
  35. Wonder how many of the million moms gave birth to “gay babies” WHY CANT PEOPLE JUST LET IT GO?? GOOD JOB ELLEN!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:53pm
  36. You go girl!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:53pm
  37. Oh wow that was awesome. Ellen, thank you! JCP, thank you.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:02pm
  38. Hmm…I can hardly see Ellens line creating a huge spike in “breast cancer, depression, suicides” and lesbians. But what do i know (at least i can count). A million moms, are more like 40,000 homophobes. Way to go, Ellen and JCP!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:09pm
  39. I bet some of those forty thousand moms have gay sons and daughters what would they think and how would they feel if someone discriminated against their child

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:15pm
  40. Ellen you are so awesome……make those ’1 million morons-opps, moms’, EAT THEIR WORDS!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:26pm
  41. Can someone plz email me the link to youtube? For the vid?

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:31pm
  42. Way ta go Ellen..Very eloquent! F*** One Million Morons! (And they only have around 40,000 members…MORE lies from the Reich Wing!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:33pm
  43. Hi, let’s get one million (likes), ,,, We love Ellen. JCP has my support !!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:52pm
  44. Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 10:04pm
  45. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who YOU are!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!! One Million get u some business!!!!!! This is petty.

Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 10:24pm
  46. Woooooh! Ellen!!! :]

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 12:17am
  47. ELLEN ROCKS!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 12:56am
  48. 1M Moms? 40K Moms? Who cares?!?!? If they’re this conservative, they’re probably the type that make their kids ugly clothes at home anyway.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 1:10am
  49. and i stand by ur values too ellen. :) boo hoo haters! haha.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 1:31am
  50. Well done Ellen. God help the children of “1 million mom’s” 40,000 members, if they turn out to be anything other than what their parents have prescribed for them! & “Culture war”!! Really!! There’s nothing going on in the world that you think might be more important than gay people being gay with themselves!?

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 3:30am
  51. Good for you Ellen!!! What a bunch of hags.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 3:54am
  52. go ellen!

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 5:10am
  53. You go Ellen!!! I just love JC Penneys!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 6:13am
  54. Please go and like the page ” One Million and One JCPenney Mom’s ‘ if you support JCPenney for not firing Ellen for being gay!

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 7:30am
  55. I stand for Ellen and JC Penney too. These hate groups hiding behind their groups/associations with the guise of standing for values is complete and utter hypocrisy. Ellen’s comment “my haters are my motivators” is very inspiring as is she and all she takes a stand for.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 8:26am
  56. I love it..

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 9:30am
  57. Take Action: Please Sign the petition to thank JC Penney for supporting Ellen Degeneres.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 11:01am
  58. I don’t understand how it is at all possible to NOT love Ellen. What a wonderful woman! The human race is lucky to have her.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 11:44am
  59. Ellen must of been playing some Jill Scott on her MP3 player Hate On Haters hate on me.

Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 11:53am