Washington state Senate committee advances marriage equality bill

Saturday, January 28, 2012

OLYMPIA, Wash. — Washington state took another step closer to becoming the seventh state to offer full marriage equality as a Senate panel on Thursday advanced a bill to legalize same-sex marriage.

Washington state capital building

The Government Operations, Tribal Relations & Elections Committee approved the measure by a vote of 4-3 vote, sending the bill to the Senate floor for a vote as early as next week. Proponent say they already have enough votes to pass the measure both the House and the Senate.

Several amendments introduced by Senate Republicans were rejected, including one that would have required that the measure be included on the November ballot, reported the Associated Press.

Earlier this week, following the first public hearing on the issue, state Senator Mary Margaret Haugen (D-Camano Island), who was previously undecided on the issue, announced her support for the measure, giving proponents the 25 Senate votes needed for passage.

The state House already had secured enough votes to pass the measure, and Democratic Gov. Chris Gregoire publicly endorsed the measure on Jan. 4, calling it “the right thing to do.”

Opponents of same-sex marriage have already promised a referendum battle at the ballot if the Legislature passes the bill and Gregoire signs it into law.

Same-sex marriage is currently legal in six states — New York, Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont — and the District of Columbia.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Washington (State)

1. It’s going to happen. Let’s go, Washington! I love living here. Make me love it even more.

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 11:24am
  2. Do it.. Do it..!!

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 12:12pm
  3. Ohio is so dam redneck it aint funny..but piss on em, I’ll do it anyways!!

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 1:39pm
  4. I was a born in Tennesse. Big Momma knew I was a ho so she threw me outs the house. I got the multiple scleroris and my lover left me. I had me that treatment for the ccsvi and dang it didn’t gone did work. spent all my monies on this here treatment thinking someone wanna love on me.I saved me some monies but i spent it on the ccsvi. I had a russian bride who said she wanna love me now I gots nothing, no life , no monies no women. Dang it I am going to shrivel up down there like a prune no with no womens in my life.
    I had to come to talk to my peoples, thanks for listens.

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 3:16pm
  5. We all just want to be like everybody else! It’s just so stupid that this is something to even celebrate (DONT get me wrong..I really really hope that this happens and Im all about civil rights/equality) But I mean…since we’re ppl, we shouldn’t be celebrating our equality: we should already have it!! OK just rambling LOL

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 11:24pm
  6. I’m not gay but, They ought to have freedom… Legalize Marriage for all.

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 3:55am
  7. Hooray for Washington! Proud in Provincetown!

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 6:10am
  8. Government has no role or legitimate authority to define, much less restrict marriage even at the state level. Get the government OUT of EVERYONE’S marriage and watch all the animosity go away…
    14th Amendment anyone?

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 10:21am
  9. We deserve to have elected officials that take LGBT issues seriously. If we organize and commit to voting in 2012, no politician will have the luxury of ignoring our demands for relationship recognition, equal parenting laws, and non-discrimination legislation. Come join us at http://www.facebook.com/electequality

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 11:40am
  10. Glad this is still advancing. Not holding my breath until November when it will (undoubtedly) be on the ballot because of our “”loving friends” the “christian right”.

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 at 4:54am
  11. Can you believe it? It’s sooooooo close! All those years, arguments, hearings, petitions and on and on and on. WA State Civil Rights is about to take a nice step forward. It’s about time!

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 at 4:44pm