Around the Nation

California

Suicide claims another LGBT youth: Trevor Project intern Eric Borges

By Jim Reeves
Queer Landia
Thursday, January 12, 2012

Eric James Borges, 19, of Visalia, Calif., succumbed to suicide Wednesday, January 11, 2012. Known as EricJames to his friends, he was an intern with The Trevor Project, and a Supplemental instructor at the College of the Sequoias.

Eric James Borges. (Image via Facebook.)

Word began spreading late Wednesday among shocked and saddened friends and acquaintances. Not accepted by his birth family, EricJames was striking out on his own, trying to deal with his personal situation, but also wanting to help others.

Sadly, even involvement with the Trevor Project was not enough to help him navigate the turbulent waters of young adulthood.

A young film maker, EricJames posted this video on November 10, 2011, in which he also appears — the subtext of his video was described as “love is universal.”

EricJames also made a “It Gets Better” video, and posted it in December of last year.

I met EricJames recently, at the launching of My LGBT Plus, a youth oriented resource site, based in Fresno, California. A brief introduction left me with the impression of a fine young man, and I regret that I did not get to know him better.

Friends have begun planning a memorial, details will be updated here as they become available.

Our condolences to the family and friends of EricJames.

If you are finding it difficult to deal with the issues of being LGBTQ, The Trevor Project is available, with peer counselors available to talk to you about problems you may be facing.

Update: Laura McGinnis, Communications Director at The Trevor Project sent LGBTQ Nation this statement:

We are deeply saddened to hear about the tragic death of EricJames Borges, and our hearts go out to his family and friends, and his community. EricJames was a dedicated, trained volunteer. Our main concern right now is that those affected by his death feel supported and can get the care they need. If you or someone you know needs support, please don’t hesitate to call the Trevor Lifeline at 866-488-7386.

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: California

1. I legitimately know this guy… strange.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:38pm
  2. Jesus Christ!!!! Aww man, why??

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:39pm
  3. :( <3 Thoughts go to his family and friends.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:39pm
  4. Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:40pm
  5. :-( Poor guy. His good deeds won’t be forgotten.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:40pm
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:42pm
  7. :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:42pm
  8. :’(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:43pm
  9. so sad.. Gone but not forgotten!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:43pm
  10. This is sad, but why did they use phrases like “succumbed to suicide” or that “suicide claims another..”… It’s bizarre, I don’t understand why the author would do that, but it weirds me out. Suicide is not some killer methodically seeking out people. Maybe I’m being a pretentious persnickety bitch, but it’s odd. I don’t know if they were trying to be respectful by making the guy more of a victim…or if they are trying to make it seem like some lgbt suicide conspiracy thing…but it’s weird. Just commenting.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:44pm
  11. Why why why…..pls if anyone is considering suicide as a way out…it’s not….it says to the bullies they win and people your life is much more precious….seek help….hell seek me out…i will listen, offer advice and/or resources but please stop this insanity!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:44pm
  12. this angers me. why can’t people just accept others for who they are?

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:44pm
  13. ;(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:45pm
  14. .. People are horrible v.v ♥

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:45pm
  15. So so sad. Young gay men and women need to know it will get better and you are loved!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:45pm
  16. RIP <3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:46pm
  17. this just breaks my heart. Fly high angel

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:47pm
  18. Sad. :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:48pm
  19. @Brooke Stephanie Stone-Martinez, this angers me too. How a family can disown their child because of who he wants to love, or how religions can say they can discriminate in God’s name is beyond me. So sad.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:48pm
  20. Goddamnit. My heart is broken. Rest in peace darling. You are loved by many and never will be forgotten.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:48pm
  21. Heartbreaking story. My thoughts are with the people who loved and accepted EricJames for who he was.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:49pm
  22. Rest in peace eric it gets better

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:49pm
  23. :c poor guy i wish i could of helped him before it was to late

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:49pm
  24. :(:(:(:(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:49pm
  25. All these suicide incidents has got to stop IMMEDIATELY! Damn the tormentors, Republicans, and the so-called Christians!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:49pm
  26. RIP<3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:50pm
  27. I can’t even imagine what must be going through these peoples minds for them to feel like suicide is the only way out. Killing yourself is so fundamentally wrong… I can’t wrap my head around it. RIP to Eric and all the others.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:50pm
  28. R.I.P <3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:50pm
  29. The things ppl will do for intention. No matter how bad life is killing yourself is a bit extreme. smfh

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:50pm
  30. I would say angered but I get enraged when I hear these politicians attack homosexuals which outside of the campaign trail would be considered slurs and even harassment.. but I guess on the national stage its ok to peg gay people as sick twisted second or even third class citizens.. so sad to hear this story and know right now somewhere someone running for president of our country is helping another teen or gay person feel bad about themselves sickens me.. this election process so far has me so angry, more angry than ever before that we allow people to use hate as a platform to get elected is rubbish and shameful.. my condolences to this youth and his family/friends.. and I can only hope that none of these bigots get elected into office because we will only see more of this if that happens

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:50pm
  31. So sad, sympathies to his family.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:51pm
  32. We must stop the hate and bigotry.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:51pm
  33. Indeed sad, I knew two different young gentlemen that committed suicide because their families would not accept who they were, one was 21 and the other 26 my heart breaks everytime :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:51pm
  34. Oh sweet baby, I hope you are now at peace…RIP dear one.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:51pm
  35. This is really sad, especially if he worked for a cause that is working so suicide is lessened among lgbt. I just think it’ odd no one noticed he had declined so far as to go and comit suicide. I’m happy of the work he has done for the lgbt community though, and hope he has now found peace wherever he is.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:52pm
  36. :’(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:53pm
  37. so does any one want to tell me anymore how influence from our social groups especially the church and governments don’t affect peoples lives. The AMERICAN GOVT and all Churches that speak out against normal life styles such as being gay, or black or muslim or jewish or women should be ashamed.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:53pm
  38. I’m livid!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:53pm
  39. sad and such a reflection of the ‘neu holocast’…chilled and speechless and going further into hiding…

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:54pm
  40. God. That is awful. RIP.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:54pm
  41. One of the worst things we can do to anyone is abuse them physically and mentally because of their sexual orientation. This poor boy, so young. Shame on his parents and shame on those who can not except another human being for who they are.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:55pm
  42. I am so sad to hear about another LGBTQ youth committing suicide. PLEASE – Talk with someone if you are even thinking about committing suicide! There are many of us who care about you and want you to be around to share the great things that the future holds. YOU ARE SPECIAL and YOU ARE LOVED!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:56pm
  43. wtf?!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:56pm
  44. People shouldn’t have children unless their prepared to accept them for who they are. So sad losing a young man who could have made a difference in so many lives.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:56pm
  45. So sad. I sincerely hope that society sees, and bears their responsibility, for the loss of so many of our young people … all because some portion of society feels it is their responsibility to suggest what kind of person is deemed to be acceptable. Imagine the kind of pain that someone who resorts to this desparate act in search of some sort of release must have been experiencing. It’s awful that in the 21st century, in the nation regarded by much of the rest of the world as THE example of freedom and liberty, that some of our citizens feel so threatened and are so bombarded by the hate of others that they feel they have no other recourse but to take their own lives. We (Americans) should be better than this … than to be the reason or cause for ANYONE to feel it necessary to take their own life.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:58pm
  46. his so called christian family is largely responsible for his lack of self love.shame on them.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:58pm
  47. succumb – consent reluctantly. I don’t think people who commit suicide “succumb” to suicide.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:59pm
  48. sad.saw the video.beautiful.when WILL it gets better…WHEN…when are we …this world…able to love who we wanna love…without ifs and whens…sad.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 4:59pm
  49. so darn true jude arsenault its deja vue

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:00pm
  50. Terrible, tragic.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:01pm
  51. Nooooo :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:01pm
  52. that ‘gawd fearin’ selectiveness and uniform blindness of the christians so grim i cannot condemn them for fear of appearin similar

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:02pm
  53. What a brave young man. After seeing his “It Gets Better” video, I was in tears. It’s sad that our world is so corrupt they feel the need to label people in such a way that makes them doubt their life’s worth. I’m sure he is in a place full of love, understanding, and tolerance. Rest in Peace handsome boy.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:02pm
  54. What a loss. RIP Eric.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:06pm
  55. Sad

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:09pm
  56. omg

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:10pm
  57. We are losing way too many amazing, creative, intelligent teens to suicide. My heart breaks for the loss this world has suffered with the loss of EricJames.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:10pm
  58. It’s just so heartbreaking I don’t know what to say anymore. RIP EricJames

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:11pm
  59. But how effective is the “It Gets Better” project when the people who make these videos are killing themselves as well? Something isn’t connecting here.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:12pm
  60. I’ll bet his family wishes they’d accepted him now.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:12pm
  61. :’(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:13pm
  62. Poor baby. Is it ever going to end?

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:13pm
  63. :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:15pm
  64. God damn it! It’s horrible what we as a society do to our fellow human beings! Eric seemed to a pretty amazing person. I pray he is at peace.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:15pm
  65. oh no.I pray to God for him to be Heaven.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:16pm
  66. well, I hope that whoever didn’t accept him or made his life hell by bullying him, are plagued with the guilt that will serve as their karma for his death.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:16pm
  67. when this gonna stop . why can we not live side by side and respect all ours choices in life?

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:19pm
  68. This has got to stop

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:24pm
  69. I am so saddened as we lose another young life from depression, and must ask ourselves how can reach out to those affected!!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:27pm
  70. Living in California I find it hard to believe that bigotry is still so big in Cali. I just wish everyone knew there is someone out there to help them- california or anywhere else.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:36pm
  71. Someone who makes an “It gets better” video and is a Trevor Project intern commits suicide…is this odd to anyone else?

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:36pm
  72. I’m on both sides of the fence with this :( I’m sad that he felt that ending his life would solve his problems (I’ve been in that boat before and occasionally still am – but I can and will not do it.).

On the other side of the fence now, and this is only my opinion and I don’t want to insult or upset anyone, suicide is cowardly. Especially airing an “It gets better” video, just shows our youths that it doesn’t get better. But it actually does get better.

I’m sad for him, but don’t like his message. RIP man, sorry life was so hard :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:37pm
  73. Jason Ramsey… I REALLY LIKE YOUR POST :)
    I FEEL REALLY BAD THAT THERE ARE SO MANY CRUEL PEOPLE OUT THERE AND THAT WE CANT ALL JUST BE TREATED EQUALLY… IM NOT GAY, BUT I TRY TO LOVE ANY ONE FOR WHAT THEY ARE!!! (GOOD PEOPLE THAT IS)

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:37pm
  74. Ugh

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:42pm
  75. I will miss you EricJames, but won’t forget the messages and inspiration you left with those of us you reached out to on campus before I left. Thank you.

COSPride

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:43pm
  76. Clearly you are not educated about depression and/or suicide and your comment shows your ignorance. Not only that you came off as callous. “Just commenting”

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:43pm
  77. :(

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:45pm
  78. Oh God, poor baby, just a baby!!!! So horrible. So horrible when you speak with older people who describe the horrors of being gay and young, the bullshit from others, the beatings in school. WHY?????????????????????????? It is 2012!!! If your parents did not teach you that we are all the same, your parents were WRONG. Grow UP. Read a damn book once in a while!!! What points do you think you get with anyone by emotionally torturing another human being to the point they no longer wish to LIVE?????? KARMA IS A BITCH!!!!! Know that, KARMA IS A BITCH!!!!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:49pm
  79. When is it gonna stop?? So like are the 46 likes on here…HATERS???? What the hell are they on here for?

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:53pm
  80. Even though I am not LGBTQ, I am a huge supporter. God doesn’t make mistakes and people are as they are; which is beautiful. How EricJames parents could turn their backs on him like that makes me sick. I would have loved to have had him as my son. His actions as a person are something to be proud of.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:56pm
  81. Tears!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:56pm
  82. Something MUST be done, this has to STOP, yet people are so damn close minded, that do not care at all and even ENFORCE hate (Christians, Democrats)

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:57pm
  83. The religious right knows exactly what they’re doing. These people are far beyond bat-shit crazy, but they aren’t stupid. They don’t have to use weapons to commit genocide, when they realize that all they have to do is make people feel alone and worthless to get them to kill themselves. They may not have intended to use this sort of tactic, but once they put 2+2 together, they took it and ran with it. Political opposition to the LGBT lifestyle has been more prominent since these suicides began, most recently with the 5 republican presidential candidates all openly opposing equality — some even breaking the law using religion as a reason to oppose; The last time I checked, it is still the law of the land to keep religion OUT of politics.

Now, we have lost another poor, sweet soul. Someone that had so much life, and potential ahead of him. Someone who set out with a goal to help others who were suffering as well. I wish I could have talked to him, and wrapped my arms around him so that he could understand that everything would be alright.

We have to stand together in this, and stare these hateful bastards in the eye. Show them that we aren’t going anywhere, and that we will not be silenced. E Pluribus Unum.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 5:59pm
  84. My heart hurts for the loss of this young man. Eric was so full of life and promise. He was obviously very talented with his work and wanted to make a difference in the lives of others. I think Eric had a big heart but he just couldn’t bear the poison of hate inflicted against him anymore. So needless to have another life taken away. Your work and memory will live on. Blessings and Peace. <3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:02pm
  85. Just as chances of cancer can increase from environmental factors, so too can mental illness. Unfortunately, it is not surprising that so many who are subjected to others hatred and negativity struggle with Depression and suicide. Suicide comes from illness. He was not weak, it is society who is too weak to admit to fears of the “unknown” and realize that “being different” is OK.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:02pm
  86. When will this end. So so so so sad.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:03pm
  87. Rest in peace sweet boy. You will not be forgotten!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:05pm
  88. This is just too terrible :/ I may never have known him but I will still mourn his loss, for his pain is all of ours.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:06pm
  89. So sad and heartbreaking. My condolences go to out to his family.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:09pm
  90. we need more gay role models!!! very ,very sad day today

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:11pm
  91. where were his friends..doctors? Holy Cow.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:12pm
  92. My grandma committed suicide and I get so furious at hearing people say things like ” cowards way out”. Yes, she hurt alot of people by doing what she did but what hurts more is that she felt so awful that for her, death was the only way out. We all have an inbuilt survival instinct and to go against all your instincts and do it anyway is in no way cowardly. Just think before you make comments like that on a public forum in future, you never know who may be reading and who you may upset. R.I.P young man, I hope you found the peace and acceptance you were looking for xx

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:13pm
  93. omg, no ~ not another…

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:15pm
  94. R.I.P Eric…keep my dear Jamey company up there…he went through the same as you…and is gone way too soon </3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:15pm
  95. Agreed. Glad you said it.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:23pm
  96. ERIC JAMES BORGES, YOU WILL STAY FOREVER IN MY HEARTH BECAUSE YOU WAS AN ANGEL IN THE WORLD, REST IN PEACE

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:29pm
  97. Horrible horrible horrible

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:33pm
  98. I just have so many things to say…….First I want to address all of you that have been here to be a voice…….I do not know anyone of here..but I can say I love you……….I love you because you are here and a voice to be herd……I personalty thank you and my partner for life and beyond thanks you as well….we are getting older in life, and we need you young voices to carry one……It is so very sad to me ….when I think of this young voice not being saved from the hurt evil worlds and the rejection from his FAMILY……..HE WAS SPERM AT ONE TIME…WE ALL WERE…….EricJames WAS IN A womb and a women carried him there gave birth to him raised him and then a banded him…..I ask you did they love him ???? I say NO…. he was merely a object in there life……they did not love EricJames unconditionally….And that is what is so wrong in our world today……WE MUST LOVE UNCONITIONLLY…….R.I.P….EricJames……thank you for your voice….<3 love kat

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:33pm
  99. Folks, we can tell people “It gets better” til the end of time but if the people hearing those messages don’t believe them, it’s just wasted time. The truth is, for a lot of people it doesn’t get better. You just get better at dealing with things. You think more about all the things you still want to see and do and know that if you commit suicide, you won’t get to them. Trust me, I know. It hasn’t gotten better at all. The trick is finding things that you feel great about, in yourself and in others. My heart goes out to Eric James’ family and friends. He loved you so much, he just didn’t have enough for himself left over. Sending white energy, to guide his way home.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:35pm
  100. Suicide is a disease. It does take someone over.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:36pm
  101. RIP Eric. The Angels in Heaven are holding you now.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:36pm
  102. so sad.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:37pm
  103. R.I.P. Eric James Borges.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:38pm
  104. his family did not accept him?

Very sad and disappointing that his family did not accept him whether he was straight or gay, still, family should be supportive of their brother, sister, son, daughter, cousin, etc.

I would accept him for who he is and not what he chose to be.

Rest in peace, my friend.

p.s. Stop judging, stop bullying, stop this nonsense! This young man lost his life just because he chose to like men and not women. Parents, how dare you make your child feel even less than a human being. Very sad!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:38pm
  105. He was handsome so sad

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:42pm
  106. Handsome so sad

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:44pm
  107. I am not saying this in any disrespect, but speaking from the fact that I have been out of the closet since I was 12, dealt with more crap, and yet here I am writing this, Why can’t they be a little stronger. Feel bad for the kid, but this should be a sign that gays need to grow some guts, and a tougher skin.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:47pm
  108. Rest in peace my friend. I am a straight parent. I have two teens and one in his 20′s. I have always told my children I accept you for you. No matter what. No matter who. The family should suffer with guilt. Im so saddened that another child has felt that he could not live on with the harshness that people have shown him. I wish these kids could feel the love of the people stronger than the hatred. But hatred seems to always win. Its a shame.
    God Bless.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:52pm
  109. How sad. For anyone growing up in todays world it’s hard. It’s very touching his video he made. I think that all schools should implement educating students on how to accept those around them and for who they are. NO H8.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:53pm
  110. profoundly sad r i p Eric

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:57pm
  111. So horrible I hate it.. Stop the bullying what it comes down to. Let ppl leave there lives. Such a shame…

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:57pm
  112. Please… Read, like this, and share this on your Facebook page. A Youngman has committed Suicide, Due to Families not accepting him for who he was. Mothers Fathers Moms Dads brothers sisters Family “Do you not understand that is the worst hate crime you can do to a young person to your own Child.” To hate them for being GAY, LESBIAN, or TANSGENDER… when you are just coming to terms with who you are, to read and see on the news how so many people HATE people like yourself.
    To have your Mother or Father not be there to help you as they should, to have your parent/s hate you and even in some cases beat you for being GAY, after years of feeling loved, safe and protected… “What can you say about who you are if you are one of those parents? I Kevin Martin Say “you never deserved to have the love of a child in your life”
    I am speaking from my own experience, the pain, the fear, and loneliness. I went thru this with myself, losing what I thought was love, understanding, and a family that would help when you are in pain. It hurt.
    I was one of the lucky ones; I had left home to find myself and when in a few short months I was lucky to find some good and bad friends that helped me feel loved and gave me the support to grow.
    After a short time my family started to come around and understand and accept me for who I am. I now have family unity. But I was one of the lucky ones or I would have ended up……..

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 6:59pm
  113. This pisses e off to no end!1st that he had to endure those types of humans that aren’t worthy to share the air that we breathe! 2. That he would Kill himself when he was supposed to be a spokesperson for all people being bullied, or that are Gay etc. what message did he send? WOW I am just stunned. I suppose now we will have a new slew of young adults killing themselves because he did! I am sickened by this. PLEASE PEOPLE get help, reach out nothing in this world is worse than taking your own life!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:01pm
  114. Its sad to hear things like this , it over whelsmy that having the ability to help but dont I send my most and honest respeect to ericjames family cosolance

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:13pm
  115. Ericka71,

Your comment is a bit stupid. He did not CHOOSE to like the same sex, nor does any gay or lesbian person. It has nothing to do with choice. The only thing we choose is to be honest and not lie about our sexuality. Please tell me when you CHOSE to like the opposite sex and not women.

As for EricJames, it’s sad to see that the christian extremists claimed another life due to their ignorance, among other things. I wish some of the bigoted religious people could realize what they’re doing and how invalid some of their beliefs are.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:26pm
  116. Timothy Carr… Thank God you can’t spell or we’d all think you were actually some jerk trying to say that people actually kill themselves for “attention”. You said, “The things ppl will do for intention”. I’m sure there was an “intention” – to die. Any fool can tell you that one cannot simply kill themselves for “attention” as the point of doing something for “attention” is for others to actually pay attention to you, which is obviously not able to be fulfilled if one is not there to receive said attention. You sir, are an inconsiderate twit. I can only hope and pray that his loved ones do not see such hateful messages as yours. Let them suffer peacefully, or if you must disturb their mourning – do it in a manner which is helpful and healing, not degrading as your comment is.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:27pm
  117. As someone who suffers from depression and has made suicide attempts and not called for help, I can attest that it is possible to “succumbed to suicide”. For me the thought of suicide is a constant. Most of the time, it is just a quick thought and then it is gone, but other times it becomes a concern, then a plan and finally an attempt.

While the concept that it gets better is great for most people, it is not always true for others. For some people it is not about being gay, being out or in the closet, it is about being lonely in a crowd, feeling like nothing is going to change, not being able to find the help you know that you need AND WANT.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:29pm
  118. Guns, knives, and ropes dont kill…christians do.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:33pm
  119. Rest Eric.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:35pm
  120. I hope you found peace finally Eric… Never met you, but I’m sure you touched many lives :-)

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:41pm
  121. To Erich:
    Because the prejudice and cruelty are as vast as the culture and the weight can be crushing. His parents became part of that legion of insane “Christians” that have a chocking grip on our hearts. They are our parents and they are the enemy. They are what we look up to as growing kids. How is one to cope when those turn against you? Is not an easy thing to grasp, particularly as teen… And each time it happens it is because the message is the same. A gay child is worthless…
    Each day it happens, it is another fallen victim.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:43pm
  122. this is just dreadful, what a way to start 2012.

The people who should listen about LGBT issues or should I just say human rights clearly are not listening.

I am so so sorry for those directly affected by the loss of this young man,,

I feel even more for the self righteous people who feel justified to effectively condemn some people to their own deaths. Sadly these people are so ignorant it scares me.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:48pm
  123. R.I.P Ericjames x x x

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:49pm
  124. Im am a gay man in my late 30s. I have been through a lot in my life and I went through those tough teen years as well.

I feel for this kid. I pray that he finds peace in the afterlife, but why did it have to happen? It cannot happen again. Please, if you are a teen going through issues of being gay or straight, please do not take the suicide route. Life is a precious gift and you have so much to offer the world.

All of us should realize that GOD loves us and it doesnt matter what anyone else says. It does not matter to GOD that you are gay. GOD only wishes that we love one another and that includes yourself.

If someone bullies you, ignore them. If they get physical report them.

Never listen to anyone else’s opinion of you. Your opinion of yourself is the only opinion that matters.

All the world (it seemed to me) when I was a teen though I was a freak, a weirdo, ugly, gay etc.. However, I turned that hatred of me in to strength. I believed I was worthy and I believed and still do that ALL GOD’s creatures ar worthy. I blocked out the hatred and turned my fear to my studies and focused on doing well in school. I found love in college quite accidentally and I am still with my partner 20 years later.

Do not believe that you are alone and suffering. You are NOT alone. Seek out counseling and most importantly believe in yourself. GOD does NOT make mistakes. You are GOD’s creation and he intended you to be just the way you are.

Please do not kill yourselves and most of all love yourself.

John I.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:50pm
  125. SAD VERY SAD rest IN peace…

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:51pm
  126. I also thought the expression “succumbed to suicide” was very odd. What does one do, other than succumb? It certainly isn’t survivable. An unfortunately choice of words, but I don’t think it was meant to imply anything other than that the young man killed himself, a very sad thing.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:53pm
  127. GOD rest your sole and may God be with your family at this time of sorrow.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:53pm
  128. It’s even worse when individuals who make “it gets better” videos are the ones who off themselves.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:54pm
  129. His birth parents rejected him??? WTF???

It all starts right there.

This is so sad and so unnecessary. I’m horribly sad for this kid. What a terrible shame. Rest in Peace.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:02pm
  130. It genuinely tears at my heart every time I see a young person–someone who could be the hope of an entire generation–driven to this. I wish I could pray for his family–and maybe I can–but at this point I’m just too angry at them for rejecting him. I pray for him, and for his friends. As to family, I’ll just pray that God will bring peace to those to whom he wishes to give it.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:06pm
  131. For some the end for some peace for others selfish and the same to grief but love will still come and memories will help them see.
    - Me

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:07pm
  132. I have to admit, succumbed to suicide can be certainly taken as strange, just as being confined to a human form could double-sidedly be criticized when the universe is vast.
    Let’s be honest with ourselves, many, many homosexuals are interrogated by the constant desire to no longer live. It’s difficult fluctuating between masculine and feminine energy on an insistent, irresistible basis AND in a culture which both interrogates, isolates, criticizes, abandons, and hurts individuals in this realm.
    Succumbs to suicide? I think it’s pointing out and asking for everyone to realize just how hard it is when they are being discriminated for something that isn’t wrong and that they themselves so often begin to wish they could change.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:08pm
  133. Oh no :C

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:10pm
  134. My heart goes out to his friends! Not accepted by his birth family is a disgrace and I hope they feel this tragedy deep in their heart and soul! This should not have happened!! No matter how you live your life there will always be someone who will accept you no matter what! Surround yourself with those people and toss the rest in the trash because if you don’t get anything positive out of any kind relationship then why have it? RIP Eric!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:11pm
  135. :( so sad ):

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:11pm
  136. When will hate die? What good does it do? Hate is dark…it’s ugly…it’s full of anger…anger is the disease that kills. Black, white, Italian, Jew, straight, glbt, Christian, atheist…at least God loves us. Sympathies go out to his friends. I would like to say sympathies to his family but I’m not sure they care. But who am I to judge on that either? Perhaps this has touched their hearts…maybe now their hearts have been softened. Maybe now they will change the hatred of others to unconditional love…unconditional love that God has for everyone. Ignorance and hatred passed down generation to generation all over the world. God does not discriminate. We are his children…all of us. EricJames is with his Lord. Good for EricJames…so very sad for us…we lost a teacher of kindness and love.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:17pm
  137. Rest in peace Eric. Sad beyond words. Reach out to someone.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:22pm
  138. I am an ardent supporter of The Trevor Project and am saddened to hear this, but one has to wonder, Howw effective are they if one of their own takes his life when after all he made “it gets better video” and was a part of the very thing he allowed himself to do. How can one be a little mistified by this.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:32pm
  139. so very true Eric.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:34pm
  140. Josh, I am glad you found a way to persevere. Not everyone perceives and are affected by things in the same way. EricJames put himself very much out in the open in order to help others who were struggling with their identity rejection. He may have been scrutinized to a higher degree than you were, or perhaps he just was wired differently. That only makes him different, not weak.

I think society should be expected and taught to not victimize others just because they are not carbon copies of themselves, rather than expecting those being ostracized to “grown a thicker skin” as you said. Why should any human have to go above and beyond to compensate for the truly weak; the ones who have to lash out, ridicule and belittle others, just to make themselves feel okay? Who are the ones with the deficiency?

I know that there will always be jackasses who will behave badly, but right now there are so many in the political and religious arenas (in addition to those who hate anyone not cloned from them, for whatever reason)that this type of crap is way too prevalent!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:35pm
  141. I read these comments and see everything except what the real sadness lies and not to diminish his death in you people are blaming everything but the true problem which may well be how The Trevor Project operates. He obviously did not practice what he preached and with this how can you believe anything they say? No society did not do this. He chose to take the selfish route and cop out. Life is hard for all of us and coming out and being accepted was(is) difficult for us all!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:37pm
  142. RIP I am so saddened! This has to stop like now to many innocent teens die!!!! I hope you found peace Eric! My thoughts are with the family and friends

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:40pm
  143. Devasting news.. too much .. what the fuck

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:04pm
  144. A wasted, beautiful life…so, so sad. This HAS to stop! RIP EricJames<3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:09pm
  145. Lamentable el suicidio de Eric James Borges. Namasté.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:09pm
  146. Why are so many people feeling sorry for his family?!! They’re the ones to blame for this! They essentially murdered him!!! This is so wrong! There is NO excuse for transphobia!!! Love sees no gender!!!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:38pm
  147. Every time I hear about the death of LGBT rights member, my heart drops and I’m completely silent, but tears start to stream down my face.

Rest in Peace, EricJames Borges. You will be truly missed.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:39pm
  148. @Timothy Carr: Obviously you’ve never been bullied to the point of thinking that there is no other way, or been tossed out by your own family onto the streets to fend for yourself. I have on both counts and there comes a time when it does seem like the only way out. It takes real friends to see something is wrong and ask, talk, point, console, cry with, anything it takes to help that person see that there will be another day and it can be a better one. Your selfish comment indicates you have little compassion for others. Hopefully you will never have to face the misery that so many others do and consider taking your own life because that’s all that’s left to do. Every time a teen or young person takes their own life it is a tragedy and a loss for the friends and family, even though they may not have wanted him/her. Your comment is hurtful and without insight. Better off not saying anything than to make such a statement. My thoughts are with his friends, family and all those who care that he is no longer with us.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:40pm
  149. Rest in peace and be accepted, Eric. <3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:44pm
  150. This is heartbreaking!! I just saw him at an event for the trevor project to raise awareness for teen suicide!!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:35pm
  151. Knocking On Heavens Door:

I was sitting alone again, in the darkness
    I could hear my breath and nothing else
    Would anything move to stop me
    Should I move this last time to finish myself

What kind of coward (I heard the words in my head)
    To sink alone into nothing
    To succumb to the rantings that filled me with dread
    To become less than anything

I am no one I am barely even here
    The days pass in blandness and sorrow
    I have little to drag me back from this cliff
    And I shutter with revulsion to think of the morrow

In the stillness I witness my heart beating
    Why does it continue to betray me so

Doesn’t it know I am worth less than being
    A vile and repulsive human
    Hasn’t life always told me my meaning
    From the scorn and words of those near me and of my clan

Rejected, unwanted worse than the most lowest of low
    Something to forget and hope will not ever
    Dare to come again, its story or face to show

Beat, breath, beat breath

I heard the two moving
    As if in a boycott against my desire
    Asking me what argument did I make proving
    Of what beauty did I still hold any fire

Sitting alone again, once more knocking on Heavens door
    Hoping for some kind of invitation
    While the pile of my worldly being lays on the floor
    Angels seem to have no inclination

To meet me at this pearly gate
    Asking if perhaps it is in my own thinking
    That I have accepted as true all others self hate
    And so in my mind I am again sinking

Left to be a part of another day
    To try and see past the lies that have been told me
    To find another group with whom to play
    And I will (I swear to myself) be it not human but tree

I will live another day and find what is Ok…No is GOOD about Me.

- For EricJames R.I.P.
    It is a very sad thing that we can be so disowned by our own blood and those we need more than anything to love and accept us. EricJames is a very strong example of the fact that while others may accept and befriend us, our first desire is to be loved by our own family. Our Mother, Our Father..Sisters, Brothers…..it is where we came into being and where we seek our home/love and comfort from most. Remember him when your own child states who they are. Maybe something as simple as wanting to have blue hair and a nose ring maybe something as difficult to navigate as feeling being born the wrong sex. Try, for them and for you, try to see things from where they are and not what you have been told. Listen. And never ever let go. I can not imagine losing a child to only understand afterwards how wrong I have been. I feel also for his family. If not now, someday, reality will sink in.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:38pm
  152. I’m a gay high school student doing a persuasive speech on the topic of anti-gay bullying and suicide for tournaments, and I have to say, it just hurts to hear all of these stories. It feels like I know these teenagers, and I know what they’ve been through.
    It’s very hard, but RIP EricJames. You will be missed!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:41pm
  153. As a parent to 2 boys, I would NEVER EVER disown or reject my kids if they came to me letting me know they are bi, or gay or what ever.. I would still love them and support them in which ever choice they wanted to make. How can you disown your own child like that because of what he chooses or feels to live his life. That is beyond ignarant and not a parent at all.

RIP. EricJames.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:44pm
  154. Speechless. Likes?????

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:48pm
  155. Why are all these people on here saying “their thoughts go out to his family”? It was HIS OWN FAMILY who told him he was sick and wrong!!! Duh people! Ignorant people should be destroyed!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:59pm
  156. I hope everyone here will SEE & READ this and pay attention! Although the article says his “birth family didnt accept him” or whatever, if you see his facebook page you WILL see he DOES have a SISTER whom he loved very very much who ALSO LOVES HIM VERY VERY MUCH, who i am positive is hurting like crazy right now, so how about we all chill out for a minute BEFORE posting hurtful things? I mean, I assume we are all here because we *CARE*?! yes??!!…my heart goes out to his family members who did and do accept him and love him and to his friends and the family he made of friends and may Eric Rest in peace, the peace he couldnt find here because of whatever reasons inside of himself. <3

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:02pm
  157. So sad that he felt so alone!

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:23pm
  158. This breaks my heart cuz he seemed like an amazing person and his life came to an end cuz of people they should accept one another no matter what cuz in the end were all human no matter what they like or do we all have hearts and souls

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:29pm
  159. Good point. The appropriate term in use is died by suicide. the idea of “commit” or “successful” or “succumbed” all carry baggage. Suicide is a tragic end to an episode of acute mental illness where an individuals ability to cope has been exceeded. Most suicides are preventable. We need to all educate ourselves and each other and watch out for each other and stay alive and be part of this big old goofy world. Its real hard to change things when you aren’t here to fight. We can’t afford to lose another fighter like this. This is unacceptable.

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:48pm
  160. This week we heard vicious anti gay rhetoric from the Pope as well as from every major Republican Pres. candidate in NH. This does not help a gay youth with an already low sense of self esteem.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 12:11am
  161. EricJames I wish that I could have been there for you. I wish that you could have called me. I would have driven from Oakland to Visalia to talk to you if it would have saved your life. How wonderful it would have been to know you, to hear about your challenges. How amazing it would have been to let you know that I grew up in the midwest and I guarantee you that it was worse there 20+ years ago than even the challenges you faced in Visalia, California. Could I have been a big brother or mentor? Could that have been enough to help you hang on? I am 42 and I am amazed at how far have come in life. It is so much better. To anyone reading this, if you want to talk to someone who has been through it and survived you may contact me. My email is edness510@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Ed Ness

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 12:48am
  162. “…not accepted by his birth family…”

Well, birth family. You happy now?

Let this be a lesson to other families. Love your children.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 1:06am
  163. Saw his movies/felt his heartbreak,

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 2:02am
  164. this left me speechless so sad :(

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 2:03am
  165. RIP this is sad!
    Kirk i agree with you. you are a brave person.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 2:36am
  166. i hate to say this, but am I the only one who thinks there is more to this tragedy???

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 4:35am
  167. IM SORRY IM TEARS RIGHT NOW GUYS WE CAN’T LET THIS HAPPEN ANYMORE WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ITSa NOT RIGHT

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:27am
  168. OH MY GOD IS NOT GOOOD FOW MANY YOUNG TEENS WE MISSED …… SORRY THIS MAKE ME IN TEARS ,, IS NOT RIGHT REST IN PEACE . WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN THIS IS A HORRIBLE TRAGEDY,, ERICK I WISH YOU GET REST AND PEACE .. GODBLESS YOU………. IS VERY SAD MOMENT I CANT BELIVE : (

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:36am
  169. This is so fucking heartbreaking.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:01am
  170. Not accepted by his birth family, they are the ones who should be dead.

Poor thing, I hope he rest’s in peace..he didn’t deserve to die nor be treated unfairly by others.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:05am
  171. So heartbreaking. Those parent’s of his, I hope they realize what they’ve done to him, where they drove him to.

RIP Eric, you’ll be dearly missed and never forgotten by your close ones..

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:17am
  172. God, when will this madness stop? When will your followers stop with their condemnation of those you have created that love differently, but love none the less. We feel pain and isolation just like everyone else, we just want acceptance and love. When I read these stories, it tears my heart apart, because I know it could just as easily been my name. So many times, so much hurt…. So many times life has felt so hopeless, yet I continue on.
    My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. But most of all, my heart goes out for the human family for not ever being able to realize exactly who they lost.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:28am
  173. I think someone needs to investigat­e in depth why Eric killed himself. This case is puzzling, Given his It Gets Better video and his involvemen­t with the Trevor project, one would think he now had enough support. There is something we don’t understand­. It seems that we don’t have the full picture.

I don’t think we can be more effective against the wave of LGBT youth suicides until we study cases like this in depth to understand why he killed himself, what he needed and didn’t get, what was tried and didn’t work. One advantage in Eric’s case is that he presumably talked to a lot of people about his problems; so, there are a lot of people who could be interviewe­d.

This could be done by a mental health researcher or book writer, maybe even a coroner, who would have the advantage of being able to subponae his therapist, teachers, principal, bullies and relatives. For the sake of suicide prevention­, we have got to get to the bottom of cases like this, even it means disturbing people.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:57am
  174. Dear Erich,

I know what you are saying, but I think it is out of respect for the deceased. Even though it was an action the person took and was in control of; because of severe depression or illness sort of taking the reigns on someone’s capacity to choose what’s best for himself, saying the person “committed” suicide is more punitive, in a way. I usually use the term “completed suicide,” rather than “committed,” because we don’t want to criminalize their despair.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 7:54am
  175. ” Not accepted by his birth family”

“Our condolences to the family”

You’re giving ‘your condolences’ to the people who are most likely directly responsible for his death? How are you not seeing the flaw there?

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 7:56am
  176. I didn’t know him persoanlly, but this made me so sad it brought me to tears, why does this have to happen, I will not be told who to love, I wish others who don’t understand just keep it to themselves, this is just a tragedy.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 8:01am
  177. This is heartbreaking. Let me tell you my story. In the 1990s I had a kind of “institutional power” as an editor of THE NORTON ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN LITERATURE. I could put texts into classrooms. I realized that Walt Whitman’s “Live Oak, with Moss” was an unknown sequence for which a complete manuscript survived. It told a story of homosexual love, fulfillment of that love, then loss of that love and a final regrouping and going on. It was almost a gay manifesto, and almost unknown, never before anthologized. I learned in the next years of young gay students who felt comforted and encouraged by the poem. It became a standard anthology piece. Now, what is the problem? I was attacked not by rabid homophobes who did not want Whitman to be outed as gay but by professional queer theory people who would not read what Whitman wrote. Instead, they derived a text the poems as they appeared in CALAMUS, where he had deliberately separated the sequence and put them, slightly altered, in places where you could not see the open love story. And because one little revision for CALAMUS mentioned the disapproval of the world these critics and theorists used their fabricated version of the sequence to drum into readers the idea that the sequence was about homosexual repression. Why would gays want students to see something negative instead of what Whitman wrote, which was joyous and life affirming, even after the loss of the first lover? You can look on Google for texts and discussions. My point here is that every gay person has an obligation to seize on whatever great literature is legitimately life-affirming and let young people cherish it and be nourished by it. Don’t let the professional controllers deny what is simple and brave and life-affirming.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 9:27am
  178. This is heartbreaking. I too am angry with Eric’s family for their lack of compassion and love for their son. However, as a Christian, I know that God never left Eric’s side. The only comfort I can find in this story is that Eric reflected this holy love in all his work here on this earth and now is in the full presence of his maker, his true Father, who will not reject him. The love, compassion and bravery that Eric exhibited is the true mark of Faith, not his parents selfish and unbiblical reaction. However, we are all sinners and we all make mistakes. I wish with all my heart that Erics parents had recognized their own sin in time..they have now lost everything. So incredibly heartwrenching at every view.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 9:49am
  179. I believe Eric’s family may not be his birth family- who also should receive condolences because what they threw away in this beautiful son is beyond my understanding- but his family may now have been defined not by blood but by love. I truly pray that this was true.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 9:54am
  180. ‘Not accepted by his birth family,…’
    I can’t, for the life of me, understand this. I just can’t. No doubt this was the beginning.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 12:13pm
  181. Erich, I completely agree. Media tends to use the passive voice to take emphasis off the person who did the action and focus on the action itself. Politicians do this a lot so they can abdicate responsibility for their failures (e.g., Mistakes were made and people were killed).

Although in some cases using passive language can place emphasis on an action where the person committing the action is not important I feel that phrasing stories like this passively does exactly what you’ve said: it makes suicide look responsible for these deaths.

We all have responsibility for our lives and our choices. As sad as this situation seems, it’s important to remember Eric made a choice. Eric committed suicide. Nobody forced him; nobody made him. He chose it. And he could just ass easily have chosen not to.

From what I’ve read of Eric he was a good, dedicated and loving person. He probably had a bright future ahead of him. Many readers will think “This guy had it better than I do” and they’ll wonder why he did it. He was cute, motivated, a real self starter with ambition and talent. He didn’t see the value or application of any of that in light of his difficulties. So many people out there lose sight of their own strengths in light of their difficulties.

If the media won’t assign responsibility to victims for their actions we can at least take responsibility in our own lives for seeing and using and believing our strengths and for realizing that IT GETS BETTER only when we change our perspective on how it is right now.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 1:42pm
  182. No – I don’t find it odd… Eric James was doing what he could to cope, but The Trevor Project and “It Gets Better” videos absolutely do not and can not replace someone’s FAMILY!

It appears from the article that Eric James was rejected by his family – unless you are in ‘those’ shoes, you’d never understand.

My mother passed away almost 5 years ago – I was talking to my brother last week and told him I realized recently that part of me died when she did… She was very accepting and supportive – I couldn’t have asked for more love.

Comparing my “no mother” situation to Eric James? Well, I can’t even begin to imagine the depth of hurt his “no mother” situation caused… I think a part of me died when my Mom did. What did Eric James think when his Mom (or dad, sister, etc) *voluntarily* chose to “be gone”? It just breaks my heart…

Beyond the very real and tragic loss of Eric James, we are left with people *still* not seeing that this may happen in their own families. And we are left with whole organizations that reinforce that blindness – many times in the name of Christ.

I’m sorry for the long post…
    I grieve for the people who choose to end their lives…
    I struggle with my responsibilities to make the world a better place for the ones we will soon lose…
    I cope with the intense rage and anger with the “outside enablers” (think AFA, NARTH, EXODUS, NOM, FRC, churches – esp the Catholic church) of the families that disown the child, and with the families themselves for ignoring “blood is thicker than water”…
    I fight the “shame” of suicide,the stigma society assigns – it is the ultimate choice a person can make. I’ve heard religions say it is a guaranteed ticket to “Hell” when its obvious those around the person created the “hell” in the first place and are the reason the person chose that path. And when it is said and done, so rarely do the active participants look inward and change their ways…

Rest in Peace, Eric

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 3:00pm
  183. This need’s to end, NOW! We’re all guilty of not doing enough to help our peers through difficult times. Enough’s ENOUGH!!!
    Get to know everyone you meet, share your stories, listen to their stories. We’re all in this together, Together We Can Over Come Anything! United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

Eric James, May you be at peace. You are missed.
    I’m Truly Sorry for Missing Out in the Opportunity to have gotten to Know You.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 3:50pm
  184. RIp, one of the articles I was reading, mentioned his mom tried an exorcism on him to make him straight.

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 3:56pm
  185. It’s always sad to hear about this happening, but even worse when it’s one of your childhood best friends. It’s definitely made me want to be more proactive in the LGBTQ community. This kind of thing is just not fair. He had so much to offer, and I hope that doesn’t stop with his passing. I hope people take his story to heart, and that it’ll change some of the severe narrow minded attitudes in our community.

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 2:30am
  186. i knew eric since he was in middle school he was a dear close frind of mine things happened and he stopped talking to me which i guess ill never know why..but none the less he was a very kind person i cant believe that he would do somthing so horrendious…but hes in a better place without pain, judgement, and missery
    i love you eric and you will be in my heart and thoughts forever..love you bro ::kisses::

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 5:07am
  187. i pray for his family in friends i ve been gay all my life this is so sad i hope everyone who reads this stops today in take 5 minutes of your time in rememberence of him thanks freeman p allen

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 8:31am
  188. I think it is extremely unfortunate that the town he lived in (yes I live here too) has such hate for people of the LGBTQ community. I have fought for marriage equality among many of my friends who are gay in this town and never have I found so much blatant hatred and disgusting behavior than those from the “christian” and church community here in the Central Valley, they are the ones who should be ashamed of themselves. God is supposed to be love, not hate. Im sadden that there is nothing and nowhere in this area for LGBTQ youth to go as a safe haven away from such ugliness in the world. I hope that it changes soon.

My thoughts go out to the friends and ones who truly cared about EricJames, its never easy to lose the ones you love.

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 10:03am
  189. iam very very sad to here that the GLBTQ community lost such a great and most loving person to everyone around him. I encourage everyone to care on the mission and the message that Eric James held so dearly to his Heart. iam calling upon all GLBTQ communities all over to Step up and carry on the message and reach out to those lost and hurting souls out there that are struggling to find themselves and let them know they are not alone and that they are Loved. My Prayes and thoughts go out to the family and Friends of Eric James.

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 12:51pm
  190. I only know about Eric from a link on Facebook, but I am saddened and angered. Who knows what or who Eric would have become. Obviously,(from his work with the Trevor project) a caring and giving person. Damn!! The Haters have helped to send another young man to his death. Do you suppose they’re happy about having one less gay person on this earth. My son is gay, but even if he wasn’t, I can’t imagine a parent not accepting their child for whoever he or she is. Saddend perhaps by what they know other people will put him through, but to do it to him themselves. I can’t even begin to comprehend that kind of thinking. I don’t whether to cry or rage. I’ll do both.

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 2:56pm
  191. Blaim religion, and then the parents.
    What a waste – and how sad for his friends.

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 5:33pm
  192. You know, I am so completely sick and tired of the religious right……YES, I’M POINTING THE FINGER OF GUILT AT ALL OF THEM!!!! THEY are the ones who are ultimately responsible for all of these suicides. THEY are the ones, on a daily basis, who promote and instill the hideous and altogether blatant bigotry that drives these young kids to end their own lives, and THEY are the ones who need to be brought to task over these tragedies.

So much has been said here about what has happened, and I can only add my own personal grief to the long list of others who have already done so.

But the bottom line remains…..you Bible-thumpers, you blind, arrogant, holier-than-thou one-dimensional zombies all need to be put in your collective place! This country is not a fucking theocracy! It does NOT revolve around your personal bigoted beliefs, and you do NOT speak for the majority of citizens who choose to live and build lives here!!!

The blood of each and every one of these tragic suicide victims, as far as I’m concerned, are on YOUR hands! You and your petty, divisive, unnecessary HATE is at the very core of the real problem here.

Don’t like that analogy? TOUGH SHIT! Deal with it!

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 5:22pm
  193. Why, in Heaven’s name, does that still happen in this country in this day & age?! I wish Eric James Borges & Tyler Clementi had called or e-mailed me before doing anything rash & irreversible. I’ve told others who seem in danger of following the same path to do just that.

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 at 5:07pm
  194. This is sad. Suicide does happen. It gets better, but life is turbulent.

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 at 9:26pm
  195. This clearly demonstrates that no matter how much help one gets to counteract the deep wounds of familial and societal homophobia, the injuries can remain deeply seated in our psyche and soul. Every parent who rejects their gay child, every teacher, politician, cleric, or community organizer, or physician who disparages gay people, or reject civil rights for gay people, including equal marriage has blood on their hands and is answerable for the charge of genocide and murder. This inhumanity of homophobia must be stopped and those who preach it and teach it must face civil penulties.

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 9:06pm