Maryland

Protestors rally outside Maryland state House in opposition to same-sex marriage

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — More than 300 protesters rallied outside the Maryland State House in Annapolis on Monday evening, listening to ministers and chanting slogans in opposition to a same-sex marriage bill introduced by Gov. Martin O’Malley.

The protest comes on the eve of a Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee hearing at which O’Malley (D) is expected to make his case for marriage equality on Tuesday afternoon.

Protesters yelled “one man and one woman” over and over again, stressing their support for traditional marriage.

The rally was intended to set a defiant tone before a Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee hearing scheduled Tuesday on O’Malley’s bill to legalize gay unions. The governor is scheduled to pitch the legislation in person, a rare appearance before a legislative committee.

Think Progress has the video from WJZ-TV:

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Maryland

1. they obviously don’t care about what they initially became pastors and priests for. The caring of the poor, needy, hopless, the ill and shunned from communties. It is amazing how their priorties change so quickly.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:08pm
  2. barf

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:10pm
  3. How is marriage any of their business? I think we should rid the world of these buffoons.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:13pm
  4. I don’t believe in god!!!

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:14pm
  5. As a Maryland resident I applaud Governor O’Malley for his efforts. I hope that these few radicals have ten times as many counterparts. I wish I could be there.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:14pm
  6. It saddens me to see people use the scriptures of the bible to nurture their hate and bigotry .

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:14pm
  7. Someone needs to remind them of what else the Bible says about marriage.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:18pm
  8. fucktards they’re the definition of it.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:21pm
  9. even in third world countries, same sex marriage is recognized and respected, is just stupid that in this country of good examples, people still figthing against it.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:28pm
  10. I want to hug them just to show them that homosexuals aren’t that scary.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:34pm
  11. Haha I would like to point out a slight flaw in the simple logic used to create these signs. Its very mathematical. The statement is that 1 man + 1 woman (2 people for those of you scoring at home) equals 1 marriage. Lol good ol elementary math.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:39pm
  12. I just think its so funny all these people keep saying gods marriage n god this and god that we live in America were its ok to be any religion you want to ,mine personally does not believe in god so who the fuck are they to say I can’t marry the man I want too !!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:51pm
  13. More than 300 idiots.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 12:53pm
  14. This isn’t “God’s Marriage.” This is marriage. Marriage is a legally binding contract between two people who love each other. Keep the religion out of what is essentially a contract agreement between two willing parties. It’s time these people were reminded of the separation between church and state. Don’t like it? Then keep your fringe-ass religious cult to yourself and stop trying to impose your ideals on the majority of the population who are cognizant and clear-thinking enough to realize marriage (not God’s marriage, but marriage) is a right for ALL.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 1:56pm
  15. And why do they care if we get married ? People can’t mind their own business .

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 2:23pm
  16. It amazes me that people still are loudly participating in what will obviously be the wrong side of history.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 2:24pm
  17. “hundreds” of them.
    “thousands” of us.
    And it’s not common sense already?

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 6:13pm
  18. to me it’s not a debate of the bible… it’s a debate of the human anatomy and how we’re designed. I’m not convinced we’re designed for anything but hetero sex…anatomically.

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 9:18pm
  19. Jeez…! If you believe marrying someone of the same sex is a sin, JUST MARRY SOMEONE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX, AND SHUT UP!!

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 9:58pm
  20. God loves gays. God is real and I feel very connected to him

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 10:12pm
  21. Don’t you feel sorry for all the uneducated self righteous hypocrites who are most likely Republicans?

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 11:48pm