Around the Nation

Michigan

Troy, Mich. mayor admits making anti-gay slur on Facebook

Saturday, December 3, 2011

TROY, Mich. — The blog “Keep Troy Strong” has unearthed a June 25 Facebook comment by Troy’s new mayor, Janice Daniels, in which she wrote, “I think I am going to throw away my ‘I Love New York’ carrying bag now that queers can get married there.”

Janice Daniels

In an interview with MLive.com, Daniels acknowledged that she was responsible for the entry.

“I may have said something like that,” she said. “I probably shouldn’t have used that kind of language, but I do believe marriage should be between one man and one woman.”

[...]

Daniels added that while she’s opposed to gay marriage, and has moral issues with homosexuality, she doesn’t hate gay people.

“I love all people. I am human. That was probably a poor choice of words.”

Linda Kajma, 60, a 37-year Troy resident who said she voted for Daniels’ opponent in the Nov. 8 election, said she was upset by the comment, reported the Detroit Free Press.

“She passed herself off as a Christian and a person of integrity during the campaign, and now the real Janice is showing her colors,” Kajma said.

The Facebook entry was posted prior to Daniels entering the race for mayor; she won the election and her term commenced last month.

Equality Michigan noted that while the mayor is entitled to her opinion on same-sex marriage, allowing that also Daniels’ message on Facebook was posted prior to her election as Troy mayor, Daniels’ use of the word queer was inappropriate.

“When we start attacking each other with slurs, and degrading others as human beings, it crosses it line,” said Denise Brogan-Kator, Executive Director of Equality Michigan.

“She is entitled to her own free speech. Her use of the word queer in the context she used it is extremely offensive. I’m outraged that someone in a position of public authority would have those views, and would express them. I think it’s important that it doesn’t go unnoticed,” Brogan-Kator said.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Michigan

1. Moron.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:36pm
  2. DUMB

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:41pm
  3. Dumb Cunt lol She needs to get HIT in the face with my QUEER ASS BAG !

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:42pm
  4. Impeach her! And she calls herself a public servant – aka a representative of the people – ick!!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:47pm
  5. Her face is a slur.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:47pm
  6. The words “I apologize” have not been uttered. She’s getting off lightly on this.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:53pm
  7. Beat her with a lead pipe lol

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:54pm
  8. death is not the option hear we must forgive her what would Harvey milk Do!

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:02pm
  9. I know it is hard but we should not respond with hate against people who are hateful and ignorant…we need to make our voices louder than theirs and then we will show them who is better…

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:04pm
  10. Out this bitch in a ditch.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:07pm
  11. I agree with Natasha Mohr 1000%
    “an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind”

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:11pm
  12. I used to live there from 1966-1979

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:23pm
  13. im so tired of politicians who say/write things like this then think they can make it ok simply by saying it was a poor choice of words or was taken out of context. “i love all people” no you dont or you would never have thought it much less wrote it. even if she says “i apologize” it would only be lip service. she needs to remember she is a public servant and is supposed to serve all her constituants not just those that think they are morally superior. its our country too and we deserve to be treated with the same respect as given to anyone else

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:51pm
  14. lol, Thaddeus

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:59pm
  15. Ignorant fool

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 2:20pm
  16. Wow. Some of the comments in this thread are more ignorant than the one that’s being discussed.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 2:56pm
  17. I’m sure she’ll leave the country when marriage for ‘queers’ is recognized nationwide

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 3:19pm
  18. While I’m opposed to bigoted people getting into office, and have moral issues with bigotry, religious hypocrisy, arrogant dogmatism, and opinionated assertions of disrespectful intolerance, I don’t hate such people. I just dislike them intensely! With a passion!!

I do believe public officers and those seeking to serve in a public capacity should behave in a manner that is respectful to all people. If they feel the need to publicly proclaim their loathing and contempt for a certain group of people, then they should withdraw themselves from public service, or from attempting to become a public servant.

Stating, “I love all people. I am human. That was probably a poor choice of words.” and “I may have said something like that, I probably shouldn’t have used that kind of language, BUT…” is neither an attempt at an apology, or even remotely sincere.

VOTE THIS VILE MOUTHED WOMAN OUT OF OFFICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! SEND A MESSAGE THAT SUCH IMMATURE JUVENILE BEHAVIOR IS SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR ANYONE EXPECTING TO SERVE IN ANY KIND OF PUBLIC OR LEADERSHIP ROLE.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 5:11pm
  19. Fire her!

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 6:18pm
  20. Goodbye, Mayor…have fun in the unemployment line.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 6:27pm
  21. I just read the article talking about how you shouldn’t use the word tranny and based on the comments it seemed like many people didn’t think it was a big deal and that people should stop being so sensitive. Now I read this article and everyone is up in arms over an anti-gay slur. Why do people get so mad over an anti-gay slur but think it’s okay to use slurs like tranny? I really don’t understand the double standard.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 8:12pm
  22. just what is needed another HATER in politics…..What a waste of life….

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:18pm