Views & Voices

The Salvation Army: Ringing anti-gay bells this holiday season

Friday, December 2, 2011

Our friend Bil Browning over at the Bilerico Project has doubled-down on an important message this holiday season. He’s getting a lot of attention this year for a blog post titled “Why You Shouldn’t Donate to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers.”

The now annual post receives thousands of hits on his popular blog and for good reason. He’s asking people to avoid the bell-ringing Santas outside every supermarket and mall across the country.

And with money as tight as it is this year, we can’t help but agree with him. The Salvation Army has long been a Christian missionary association. It would be one thing if they, like some Christians, practiced tolerance and equality towards the LGBT community, but as Bil points out, since 1986, The Salvation Army has been involved in at least 5 major assaults on LGBT equality:

• When New Zealand considered passage of the Homosexual Law Reform Act in 1986, the Salvation Army collected signatures in an attempt to get the legislation killed. The act decriminalized consensual sex between gay men. The measure passed over the charity’s objections.
  • In the United Kingdom, the Salvation Army actively pushed passage of an amendment to the Local Government Act. The amendment stated that local authorities “shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality” or “promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship.” The law has since been repealed, but it led many schools and colleges to close LGBT student organizations out of fear they’d lose their government funding.
  • In 2001, the organization tried to extract a resolution from the White House that they could ignore local non-discrimination laws that protected LGBT people. While the commitment would have applied to all employees, the group claimed that it needed the resolution so it “did not have to ordain sexually active gay ministers and did not have to provide medical benefits to the same-sex partners of employees.” After lawmakers and civil rights activists revealed the Salvation Army’s active resistance to non-discrimination laws, the White House admitted the charity was seeking the exemptions.
  • Also in 2001, the evangelical charity actively lobbied to change how the Bush administration would distribute over $24 billion in grants and tax deductions by urging the White House deny funding to any cities or states that included LGBT non-discrimination laws. Ari Fleischer, White House press secretary, issued a statement saying the administration was denying a “regulation sought by the church to protect the right of taxpayer-funded religious organizations to discriminate against homosexuals.”
  • In 2004, the Salvation Army threatened to close all their soup kitchens in New York City to protest the city’s decision to require all vendors and charities doing business with the city to adhere to all civil rights laws. The organization balked at having to treat gay employees equal to straight employees.

While no one wants the services the Salvation Army provides to end for those they help, we must be cognizant of where are pennies are going when we drop them in the shiny red kettle. In addition to these anti-gay fights which the Salvation Army has participated in, they have also fought in court in defense of their virulently anti-gay hiring and employment practices. So please understand that the pennies you drop in those buckets may be going to lawyers which are defending bigotry in court and coming nowhere close to buying clothes for the homeless this winter.

Instead of putting your pocket change in the kettle outside the mall, why don’t you give one of these inclusive organizations a try:

And if you have things you’re getting rid of which you were considering donating to the Salvation Army, try the aforementioned Goodwill if there is one in your area, or in several cities there are thrift shops which assist those living with HIV/AIDS. Here are a few of those:

If you know of others, please let us know.

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. been passing ‘em up..

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:51pm
  2. good to know….very good to know.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:53pm
  3. yep, guess they wont be gettin that much money this year.. it was really good to know about this

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:54pm
  4. They refused help to a homeless gay couple in Austin.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:54pm
  5. what the hell

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:55pm
  6. Not every branch of the Salvation Army is like this. My best friend works for the local branch, and the people involved are some of the most tolerant, caring people I know. You can`t just lump them all together and say ” they`re bad, don`t donate to them.” They do some very good things and there are people who really need that money. I love this page, but I was very upset by this post.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:56pm
  7. The Salvationists also fought civil unions for gay couples in New Zealand. They are active politically and their agenda is a Religious Right agenda. Donations help fuel their campaigns against the rights of gay people, and others. There are charities that help people and don’t play politics. Give there instead.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:57pm
  8. David Lawrence read this…

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:58pm
  9. Doesn’t matter what your local branch thinks. The money still goes to head office, & they are the homophobes setting policy here.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:58pm
  10. Glad I never donate to them anyways. :)

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:58pm
  11. least now i dont have to feel bad as i dont give them anything…

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 4:59pm
  12. Have you ever driven by a salvation army shelter? It looks like the most unsafe place in the entire city.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:00pm
  13. Your milage my vary depending on individual, but the organization as a whole has a firm, bible-based view that gays and lesbians should be celibate. Although they do add that gays and lesbians should not be told they shouldn’t be gay or lesbian, just that if you are, you should never ever have same-sex sex.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:01pm
  14. Just like the Boy Scouts…just because some are wonderful doesn’t mean I want my money going to the organization.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:03pm
  15. Not giving to the Salvation army….. I donate monthly to Human society… They don’t care about sexuality, their priority is helping animals…

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:03pm
  16. Well they won’t be getting MY money anymore.
    *Megs*

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:03pm
  17. Do they really think that Jesus would have turned away from gay singles & couples? These so-called “Salvation Army” people are really hypocrites & quite evil:

Matthew 23:27:

“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like unto whitewashed sepulchers [tombs], which indeed appear beautiful outwardly but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleanness.”

THAT’S the Salvation Army for you.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:03pm
  18. Good thing I never donate to these people. Sure, not all branches are the same, but hey.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:04pm
  19. I`ve worked in the shelter, and they actually have very good security. Besides, if they lose funding, most of the people who stay there would have nowhere else to go. They`d be sleeping on the streets

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:04pm
  20. Those bell ringers are so fuckin annoying. Ringing bells in random peoples’ faces is not really an effective way to get people to donate money.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:04pm
  21. Please do not donate here

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:04pm
  22. Quite surprised about this – I used to know some ppl in the sally army – they were also socialists, teachers and as liberal minded as the next person. So it is very sad to learn that this is a policy.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:05pm
  23. After watching the local Salvation Army shelter in my hometown turn away a homeless man because he was gay when I was younger, I have not given them so much as a penny. I do not support any of their causes, and liken their bell-ringing campaigns to the most obnoxious panhandlers out there. I don’t tolerate hate.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:05pm
  24. If The Salvation Army Doesn’t Want To Support LGBT individuals because of their sexual orientation and their way of life. That is purely discriminitory and refusing to help a gay couple with whatever they needed is actually a punishable offense in the constitution. its an equal opportunity and they have as much right to anything as heterosexuals have.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:06pm
  25. The organization seems to be bundling us homos all together and saying “they’re gay, don’t treat them equal to us”, so yes, we can bundle them up and say theyre bad, donate elsewhere.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:06pm
  26. I should have realized this long ago (slap to the head), but I will ignore the bells at the grocery store from here on out.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:14pm
  27. That’s a damn shame! When somebody turns there back on somebody that need help or is homeless :( u gusy should be ashamed of yourself!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:15pm
  28. ignore the bells dont support them

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:22pm
  29. I am an very OUT gay man and I have worked for the Salvation Army for nearly 20 years as the Program Director in one of their Drug and Alcohol Treatment Programs. We help many many people regardless of their Sexual Orientation find recovery from their addictions and in doing so save lives…..I am one of those lives that was saved by this organisation. Not once have I experienced any different treatment just because I am Gay. Of course they have their theological beliefs which I DO NOT agree with but they are here to look after the downtrodden and marginalised. I am sorry for anyone that has experienced homophobia from the Salvation Army, but I would say these would be isolated cases especially these days. The money donated to the Salvation Army goes towards saving our lives as well !!!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:25pm
  30. @Ceaser, that`s exactly what I was trying to say. I don`t want to start an argument, but there really are people who need that money, and telling everyone not to donate seems very selfish to me.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:27pm
  31. cant stand those bell ringers, they can stand there a freeze their homo hating asses off…i will never put in my hard earned lesbian pennies!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:28pm
  32. So sad when folks isolate different people when the premise of their aid is to help ALL people in need. All I can think is where is the good man who says I am here now and I will follow the plan that when I die I will have done for mankind the best I could do. Now that is person who can face eternity without fear.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:30pm
  33. @Anita, did you know that most of those bell ringers are people who are less fortunate or homeless, who were given the job by the Salvation Army out of kindness? Please do a little research before you say something like that

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:32pm
  34. I’ve made up my own donation to them, a note for why I’m not giving them money. I’m going to leave as many as I can around town. I recomend you all do the same.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:35pm
  35. The Salvation Army is a cult & uses its connections with Boys & Girls Clubs of America to indoctrinate young children into its Nazi-style youth. I know, I used to work for them.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:44pm
  36. is shame first raised there stuff now raised anti-gay wtf? these turning like satan’s army where is the love For one another regardless of orientation Christ is pissed now, he never judged gays those false teachers and leaders says Christ hates gays GOD LOVES HIS CHILDREN

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:45pm
  37. @Ashlynn I know a few of the bell ringers in my town and they are stuckup snobby people that put us homos down. I too have been in need and was turned down by the salvation army because im a homo so dont tell me about the bell ringers.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:48pm
  38. I`m very sorry you had to go through that, Anita. Apparently the salvation army in my town is very different from yours, because they`re nothing like that.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:52pm
  39. Thats the way they are here in my town. I do hope that they are different in other towns.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 5:55pm
  40. I mean seriously…what is this shit coming to?? I don’t understand!!! I mean I really f’n don’t!!! I mean this shit is sooo getting out of control!! The HATE in this country so does not seem to be getting any better!!! I mean I am just beside myself!! ::((( love it Anita…ditto to u sister!!!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:00pm
  41. Instead, my husband and I donate time, money and goods to charities that DO NOT discriminate against anyone! Especially not against LGBT people! Until the Salvation Army gets it’s priorities straight, we’ll be dumping these into their red buckets/kettles: http://www.angelfire.com/rock/sluttyrockstar/queerdollars.html

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:07pm
  42. Also, join the Salvation Army boycott on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BoycottSalvationArmy

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:07pm
  43. I rather give my money to UNICEF and GAY RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS such as GLAAD. Have a nice weekend and remember that we additonally provide people with help by signing human rights petitions like this one: http://allout.org/en/actions/cameroon/ Thank you.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:07pm
  44. BOO!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:22pm
  45. I’ve already printed out my Harvey Milk Money! Thank you Louie!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:23pm
  46. Stop your damn crying!!!!! I’m bisexual and have many gay and lesbian friends but that would NEVER stop me from helping another human being…get over your damn selves and think about the many many ppl and children who do get and need the help from them…

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:26pm
  47. Wow. Im glad I had this eye opener. I wont be giving my money to them anymore.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:30pm
  48. it’s easy to talk but if you were the one that was homeless and asked for help and they turned their back on you because you are gay you would feel the most miserable person on earth u’d be rather dead

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:34pm
  49. it’s a shame

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:36pm
  50. In this day and age I dont actually believe that the Salvation Army would turn down helping anyone JUST because they are Gay, there would have to be other issues involved. The help could be that the person is referred to a more appropriate service therefore help is given. The Salvation Army Mission Statement includes the words “with no discrimination” so theres obviously a problem with some individuals who work for the Salvation Army not the Salvation Army as a charitable institution. If I encountered this sort of homophobia then I would make a complaint and have the matter dealt with and resolved.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:44pm
  51. I’m bisexual and they hired me to bell ring. Why? Because I’m bi and it’s a part of my life, but it is not my ENTIRE life, it does not make me who I am or define me. I didn’t hide it from them, but I didn’t rub their noses in it either. They are a religious organization. Of course they’re not going to totally love what the bible says is a “no-no”. They help people. A lot. If the LGBTQ community wants tolerance and open minds, then maybe lead by example instead of causing drama?

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:47pm
  52. If You Want You Guys Can Look At My Status On Facebook, Its Talking about LGBT individuals and That Kind of Stuff… I may be heterosexual yes but I have alot of support for ALL Gays and Lesbians/ Bisexuals Transgenders.. My Uncle Was Gay and My Cousin is a Lesbian. I Will Say It Loud And Proud! I LOVE GAYS AND LESBIANS!!! * GAY/LESBIAN PRIDE?!*

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:50pm
  53. If it wasnt for the Salvation Army I would have died in the early 1990s……and yes I am an out and proud gay man and have never hidden this part of my life from the Salvation Army !!!!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:55pm
  54. boycott!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 7:52pm
  55. Never give to them anyway. I dont think people need to be saved to get food and clothing.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 8:10pm
  56. The Salvation Army do FAR more than just give food and clothing. They also run one of the largest drug and alcohol treatment programs in the world, saving men and women from death through addiction !!!

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 8:53pm
  57. Listen, I’m a Humanist and Bisexual, but they do help less fortunate people. Don’t take offense- They are a religious organization, and they are going to believe what the bible tells them is not right. Sure, some not so fundamentalist Christians will be tolerant, And not to get off topic… but it DOES say in the bible being gay is wrong. Thankfully… I have a good head on my shoulders and don’t believe in fairy tales. You can only boycott stuff so much. If you REALLY don’t want to donate to them that’s fine and your choice- you can always donate your time or services in your own individual way.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 9:14pm
  58. The salvation Army has done a lot of good for a lot of years, but I really don’t like that they discriminate. the money that I might give them is to help people. It isn’t meant for them to spend in an effort to exclude people. I just don’t think this is a practice that I want to support. I was a bell ringer for a few years and did a LOT of charity stuff for them. This makes me sad.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 9:16pm
  59. And it’s shameful how they try to attract us by wearing bright clothes and ringing a bell. But it’s not my kind of ding-dong any more.

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 9:37pm
  60. Nobody can beat gay pride no matter what

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 10:17pm
  61. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

d) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

e) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this?

f) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

g) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

h) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

i) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 10:24pm
  62. More than half of you comments are ridiculous…do you’re research before you say “I won’t donate”. I’m saying they are in the right or wrong…all i’m saying don’t be stupid and agree with every flippin thing you read. i’ll state a christian is suppose anyone in need, not single out anyone. So if they are singling out people shame on them.

All i’m saying don’t judge before you know their background( this goes for Salvation Army and gays)

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 11:06pm
  63. lauren sweeney where does it say that? it does say Love thy neighbor as you love thyself.. not love thy straight neighbor, and shun thy gay neighbor.. please dont try and put false words into the bible

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 11:46pm
  64. Tumbleweed is a great organization for homeless youth in Phoenix, and they have a program specifically for homeless and low-income LGBTQ youth! http://www.tumbleweed.org/greenhouse_project.php

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 12:10am
  65. How unfortunate that a so-called Christian organization engages in such blatant bigotry – they won’t get my spare change any more.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:19am
  66. Just let them be.We will be fine without them….”Father,forgive them,for they do not know what they are doing.” Lk 23:34

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:33am
  67. The Lord does work through them,in spite of their ignorance.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:34am
  68. @Trev – it is great that they helped you and that working for them is giving you an opportunity to help others. But, I have to say that your position reminds me a bit of LGBT staffers who work for homophobic politicians. When they’re asked, “WTF, Dude?” frequently you’ll hear something like: “he’s not really like that – I’m out with him, he’s even met my partner and he’s always been cool about it.” On a personal level that’s great, and in this economy a job’s a job, but it’s really hard to ignore that however nifty that person is in private, the public positions they are taking (unless you’re denying that the actions the author bullet-pointed ever happened) are pretty clearly anti-gay.

Me, I’m an atheist and I don’t believe help should come with a mandatory helping of proselytizing, so I contribute to secular charities. But even people who don’t object to the religious content can find organizations to support that don’t come with this homophobic baggage. As the author pointed out, the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities aren’t the only game in town for getting help to those who need it.

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 9:34am
  69. The starvation Army is a joke..

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 7:49am
  70. There are ways to help their worthy efforts without supporting Salvation Army’s anti-gay agenda. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. If your SA offers food, clothing, etc. to those in need, taking them a bag of either won’t promote their intolerance. Yes, if you make financial contributions (and I really don’t know if the change in the kettle efforts during the season stays local or a portion goes to national — in many non-profits that’s the case), it’s possible that a portion of your $ is going to help with legislative, lobbying and petition signing efforts — if that’s the case, don’t give money and redirect it elsewhere. But you can also often be very prescriptive with your donation: “I want this to be used for your homeless medical clinic.” This is in contrast to, say, a for profit business that will ultimately use a percentage of sales to conduct those advocacy efforts regardless of your wishes.

That said, I’d also suggest that if you make the choice NOT to support SA — make your reason known. They’ll have no idea why they didn’t get your $10 if you don’t tell them — they’ll blame it on the economy, bad weather, poor collection locations, etc. Send them a letter and tell them you’ve redirected your funding because of your concerns. Tell the bell ringer you support them but are conflicted by the organization’s beliefs. Word will get back up the ladder. Will it make a difference? Who knows, but silent advocacy undoubtedly won’t.

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 10:49am
  71. Politely explain to the bell ringer as to why you’re not donating. In the future we’ll probably be hearing how many refusal of donations were for this very reason. Tell them so they can pass the word on to their superiors and let them know.

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 11:59am
  72. I think some of the SA supporters are missing the point somewhat of this article…Yes they help people, but the point is that this organization not only uses your money to help people, perhaps indiscriminately in some places, perhaps not in others, as a whole they are also using it to fight for anti-gay social agendas! So by boycotting these religious right charities, you send the message that you don’t agree with those agendas, but don’t just use it as an excuse to not help people, like the article says, there are plenty of gay friendly charities out there that would gladly except and use your donations for the good of anyone covered by their mission statement! And by boycotting fundamentalist charities, you open the door for the truly tolerant ones to grow, prosper, and help even more people in an indiscriminate manner…

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 12:55pm
  73. P.s.- By avoiding donations of ANY kind to these charities cuts down the appearance that they can help so many people while indirectly preventing help for others. If you continue to utilize their organizations, then you are saying that you believe in what they preach enough to keep donating to them in the hopes that they are using your donations as they see fit. By instead donating to those who clearly state, and there records show, that they help ANYBODY, you help start a public paradigm shift that begins the slow transition from the even slightly intolerant organizations, which in my opinion have no place being called charitable, being the “go to” place for donations, to the smaller more genuinely charitable organizations, that only care that you need help, not what sexual orientation you choose and how you choose to express it!

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:11pm
  74. I have always known what a hypocrite this organization is and I am glad others are finding out…..Its all about money…..I say fuck em!

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:15pm
  75. We will help you out in your time of need if you give us your blank etch-a-sketch mind to scribble religious shit on.

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:17pm
  76. Lastly, the bell ringing! What if, for say, a homeless person wanted to ask for donations directly from the public, so they decided to set a rusty old pot on the ground and start ringing a bell made from a tin can to get peoples attention to the plight of they and their fellow transients? If that pot wasn’t red and hanging from a tripod with a SA placard above it, a fairly expensive set up if you think about it, how long would said panhandler be allowed to stand in any public space before the fuzz came down on them? And ringing that bell in the doorway of popular business fronts is less annoying or invasive how?

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:27pm
  77. Get out there beside the SlaveNation Army with pink donation cans asking for “Donations for the gay/lesbian families victimized by SA incitements, discrimination, dogma & homophobia”

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 7:36pm
  78. If you donate to a local branch, you are still supporting the organization as a whole whether you want to or not. Of course there are workers in the SA who do a lot of good for the LGBT community, but that doesn’t excuse the organization and their practices.

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 7:41pm
  79. The SA globally oppresses gay and lesbian families and individuals, spreading hateful dogma against our people’s human rights equalization.
    TIME TO ORGANIZE a counter-bell ringing with gay and lesbian families ringing blood0red pots and carrying signs asking the general public to boycott SA and instead “DONATE TO the gay and lesbian families victimized by SA’s institutional antichristian homophobia”

Posted on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 7:43pm
  80. Seriously, I’m offended by this article.

I have worked for the Salvation Army for just over a year and have seen some of the most selfless acts of kindness on a daily basis, by people who dedicate their lives to be compassionate humans.

All the money we collect through the Kettle Campaign goes DIRECTLY back into our community, to support our local Food Bank, Thrift Store, and various other programs that are extremely important to those less fortunate.

I have seen first hand the true meaning of Christmas spirit, and to read this author’s proposal to boycott the Salvation Army is incredibly shameful. It is not our job to judge ANY individual, but to give support to those who ask.

Please do your research before engaging in this kind of smear campaign, and realize that you are potentially hurting THOUSANDS of families who rely on our support – especially during the Christmas Season.

Posted on Monday, December 5, 2011 at 1:56pm
  81. I can see how this would offend you but as an insider is there any truth to the author’s claims and examples of anti gay and lesbian activities? Either way a point of view from you would be nice to see.

Posted on Monday, December 5, 2011 at 6:56pm
  82. SO, it seems all these posters do not tolerate “intolerance” and call peeps out for being hypocrites. Got it…

Posted on Monday, December 5, 2011 at 7:19pm
  83. I’m sending them a big check right now!!!! Because I for one believe in helping others who are in need and it’s my choice. The SA is a CHRISTIAN organization and as such practice Biblical teachings. They help all people of all walks of life, including Gay people. But as a Christian organization they have to practice what they preach which means working against the sexual part of the Gay lifestyle. If they Didn’t do that you would all be on here preaching about their hypocrisy……Tolerance only goes one way…YOUR WAY or no way…..THAT’s what is sad about it all the one sided views. Forget that you are attacking a fundamental Christian group for doing what they should be doing and HELPING hundreds of thousands of homeless people and jobless people. Just like this type of community to bash the ONE thing that isn’t going their way and try to stop the good for the homeless and jobless…..Gee stopping a Gay agenda or stopping food and water for hundreds of thousands of people…..hmmmm…..wonder which one most moral ethical people could live with?

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 10:58am
  84. I wonder how nutritious those petitions are to the hungry????

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:03am
  85. That’s the way to pull out only what you want to hear about scripture……doesn’t work when people know the FULL voice of scripture……

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:05am
  86. That’s a mature way to handle it……..

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:10am
  87. Ashlynn you are very right, but some people didn’t donate anyway so it’s not as if the SA is really losing anything from them. As you can see in many posts they say’ Glad I didn’t give to them” and similar stories. The SA will be fine because moral, ethical people who want to help PEOPLE in need, regardless of some Corporate agenda, will still help those people.

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:12am
  88. I agree Trev. First to discriminate could cause them great hardship and second I have NEVER seen them even ASK anyone if they were Gay before offering them help…PERIOD.

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:14am
  89. Don’t you find any irony in the fact that some of the charities you recommended quite literally discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation?
    Not that I have any philosophical aversion to someone discriminating in the usage of their money. One’s money is their own and should be used according to their own priorities no matter how arbitrary or exclusionary. So I would defend your charities against someone who attacks them for only helping LGBTs, but you should at least recognize the hypocrisy displayed by your article.

Posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 5:49pm
  90. I did community service for the Salvation Army. My first job was to clean out a large out building. I was to throw away anything which might be mildewed or mice infested. I threw numerous trash bags of new (with tags) unwrapped stuffed animals, games and toys. I asked the administrator about it and was told they were items left over from last years Christmas. Further, I watched employees and volunteers of that same facility go through donations of furniture, clothes, appliances and electronics and extract items for there personal use before turning the remainder of the donations over to the thrift stores. Since my encounter, I refuse to donate to this organization.

Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 11:45am
  91. Unfortunately, it seems most charitable organizations help people AND have political purposes. So, give to whomever you’d like. Weigh the good with the bad.

Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 8:53am
  92. How ironic that in Chicago The Salvation Army Training College campus is in the middle of “Boy’s Town” within blocks of The Center on Haslsed that serves the LGBT community, gay owned or friendly businesses,restaurants, bars etc. Gay Pride Parade – goes right by campus.How ironic that the Salvation Army Cadets in Chicago are patronizing these businessses.

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 7:25am
  93. Sorry but this ‘article’ is completely wrong – it is showing many VERY outdated ‘incidents’, and being from the UK I know that the ‘fact’ re. the UK is complete nonsense. And nope, I’m not a Salvationist. I’m not even a Christian. But this article is giving a completely outdated and incorrect impression. I’ve travelled a lot, been to many third world countries, and seen some some awful things all over the globe, and the Salvation Army are always THE first to help out, many of them opening their homes to victims of not just natural disasters, but also to victims of rape, abuse, and domestic violence. Whilst i’m not a Salvationist, my parents both are. I know it operates differently in Canada and the USA to how it does in the UK, but homophobia is certainly no longer present in the Salvation Army. There are many gay and lesbian couples to be found in Salvation Army ‘forts’, and they are always welcomes with open arms. I should know! And I can testify! Lastly, as I said, the UK works differently to the Northern American SA, but in the UK, every single penny that is donated to the SA goes right to the charity is donated for. Direct. And with no ‘fees’ or ‘taxes’ taken off. Some of the ‘facts’ given as ‘true’ in this ‘article’ are quite possibly teetering on the very edge of the precipice that is the Law, and are most definitely libelous. I urge people to either completely discount this information, and personally (in my opinion only) is ‘hate mongering’. This ‘article’ is poorly written, poorly put together, and bursting with VERY outdated ‘facts. It should be REMOVED immediately.

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 7:22pm
  94. Actually, I just checked out some of the ‘facts’ in the ‘article’ – I strongly advise that it’s removed from the site. And I will be forwarding it onto the UK Salvation Army headquarters. I find it very disturbing that outdated and no longer applicable ‘facts’ are being used as a ‘weapon’ to stir up hatred, which let’s face it – it is. This article is changing people’s perceptions, and as a result – the SA will undoubtedly get less donations this winter. Donations that keep the homeless, starving, poverty stricken, abused, and sick from dying. Happy Christmas eh.

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 7:42pm
  95. This article is very one sided, and I find it troubling. While I certainly don’t agree with the SA’s anti gay actions, I know and have seen first hand the tremendous work they do which LGBTQ folk also benefit from. …I suppose we could instead just give to LGBTQ organizations that shelter children, feed and clothe the homeless, provide job training for the disabled, etc… But there aren’t any such LGBTQ organizations. Let’s count our blessings and be a bit more tactful in our approach.

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 9:27pm
  96. Nobody said turn our backs on anyone in need. The point is to contribute to an organization that also does good that also promotes and aligns with your personal values. The beauty here is we will get the choice where to contribute, and contributing to a like-minded (or at least supportive cause) is just as generous. Do you also think that those who donate to the Salvation Army are turning their backs on the beneficiaries of other charities?

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 10:30am
  97. @Ryan Oelrish, there are many gay youth organizations that provide food, shelter and clothing. A simple Google search in your area will probably turn up at least one.

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 10:32am
  98. As with any info received, best to do your homework to get to the truth instead of basing your opinion on the interpretation of another. Truth always wins!

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 8:18am
  99. So we’re all going to forget what these Organizations have done for homeless people all across the Nation? You would forsake thousands because they don’t support your freedoms? Don’t you think that just proves so many of the other sides assumptions? Why would you want to be like them? Get your stuff together people, we’re not Palin lovers here that would boycott a place because they are for equal rights. We’re better than that and we need to flaunt it.

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 8:36am
  100. I give to Habitat for Humanity; most cities seem to have thrift stores by them that will take the stuff you could otherwise give to the Salvation Army.

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 10:54am
  101. get a life! You need to leave the LGBT alone and take care of your own issues, no matter what you do, we will continue the fight, the fight that you will never be able to stop or win!

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 11:33am
  102. I had to come home and look this up. I haven’t given them my money in years, since I heard they spend it on anti-glbt political campaigns. But I just recognized one of the bell ringers, the one with the acoustic guitar, as one of the guys who protests at the pride festival, with the big, hateful signs, screaming at us that we’re going to hell. I was just socially responsible before, participating in a boycott, but now I’m beyond that. Now I’m just pissed off.

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 11:48am
  103. dont like the bell ringing dont go to the places they are

you may not realize it but those bell ringing position are not all volunteer , they are paid position and are done to support our familes and yes I have a gay dtr and worked for them, a job is a job.

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 10:35pm
  104. I guess the Knee-jerk reaction to refuse to help people is just human nature. Overall the Salvation Army is one of the better charities in that they will spend more of their budget locally and less on wages for highly paid executives than many other charities. What I don’t understand is how boycotting kettles is any better than refusing to help a gay couple. It is simply an escalation of hatred and contempt for anyone with a slightly different view. If you are offended by preferential treatment practicing it may not be a very effective way to combat it. If “God loves all people period.” (A motto of a gay tolerant church) that includes the Salvation Army and the hundreds of people in most cities who are benefitted by the programs those kettles finance. To pass a kettle is to turn your back on anyone gay or straight who the Salvation Army helps out.

Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 at 9:07am
  105. Thank you for sharing – we’ve given some donations once a while, with the poor and homeless in mind – but when the basis of the organization means to turn away a homeless man because he is gay, or prevent people from being who they are, then we do not support it.
    thanks for the alternative lists though :)

Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 at 9:19am
  106. Most of these comments are disgusting. I’m so sick and tired of gay people running around boycotting everything that doesn’t revolve around gay pride. So just because some people at the salvation army don’t like gays, you’re not going to donate anything just for that, making some less fortunate go without? How selfish can you people be! It’s no wonder so many people don’t like gay people…so many of them are so selfish and only think about themselves and other gays.

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 11:01am
  107. Sure, there are S. Army branches that don’t discriminate, and there are individuals who work for the S. Army who don’t discriminate, BUT… looking at the big picture instead of just regional or personal experience, the Salvation Army agressively supports anti-gay legislation and is extremely politically active. So keep your eye on the big picture when you are thinking about supporting this organization. They are ACTIVELY LOBBYING and writing legislation that is 100% anti-gay. This affects all of us, gay or straight. This is not forward movement. This is not something I care to support.

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 6:36pm
  108. Uhhhh….way to many other organizations that do the exact same thing as this group that r not bigots and refuse to help someone in need because of who they love or how they were born…this post upsets me more than all of it …ridiculous concept u have here !!

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 at 8:44pm
  109. And so are a ton of people who r not gay sick of hearing whiny little Bitches cry that doesn’t do a damn bit of nothing to help society themselves …shut ur bigot pie hole and learn to speak about something your educated in….and another thing ur comment is about as contradictory as the plague ….u just said …why leave some poor soul who needs help because they don’t approve of HUMAN RIGHTS !!!! HEY DUMB ASS THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT THIS GROUP HAS DONE ON MANY OCCASIONS …EDUCATE UR SELF A LIL !!!!!!!!!!! O and another look at all the links of the other groups who DO THE EXACT SAME THING ONLY WITHOUT BIGOTRY AND DISCRIMINATION !!!!! GO LEARN TO COMPREHEND BETTER MORON !!!! I HATE IDIOTS MORE THAN ANY OTHER MINORITY GROUP ON THE PLANET LOL I THINK I’M GONNA START DISCRIMINATING AGAINST DUMB ASSES LOL

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 at 8:54pm
  110. I give to the Salvation Army and will continue to do so.
    Hey LGBTQnation stop generalizing and learn to respect other peoples values
    if you want the same treatment.

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 7:09pm
  111. UNICEF CEO receives $1,200,000 per year. plus use of a royal royce and has a expense account of over $150,000. only .14cents out of each dollar goes towards the people/causes you want to help.

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 9:11am
  112. THE SALVATION ARMY commissioner receives a salary of only $13,000 per year plus housing. for managing a $2 billion organization. .93 cents of every dollar earned is readily available and goes back out to local charity/causes

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 9:13am
  113. “The amendment stated that local authorities “shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality” or “promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship.””

This sounds like a great policy to me. The government has no business promoting homosexuality.

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 7:36pm
  114. DAMN IT. I rang bells as a service to my high school Interact Club. I was reluctant to start out with because I’m atheist but I figured, “as long as good was being done for people in need, i suppose it doesn’t matter what group does it” but now, this?! That crosses the line, I certainly won’t be participating ever again.

Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 at 7:02pm