NOM: Seriously, Gay parents molest their own children

By Carlos Maza
Equality Matters
Friday, December 9, 2011

Earlier Thursday, Equality Matters reported that the National Organization for Marriage’s (NOM) Ruth Institute was endorsing a book that claimed, among other things, that gay parents are more likely to molest their own children than heterosexual parents.

NOM President Brian Brown

Now, NOM appears to be doubling down on that claim – and this time on its main blog.

In a December 8 blog post, NOM promoted an essay posted on the “Bad Catholic” blog titled “Two Lesbians Raised a Baby and This Is What They Got…” The essay – written by blogger Marc Barnes – is a response to a video of an Iowa man speaking eloquently in defense of his two moms, which recently went viral.

Referring to the video as “false advertising,” Barnes attempts to lay out the case for why gays and lesbians aren’t fit to raise children:

• Gay couples are less likely to stay together
  • Gay couples don’t want to get married
  • Gay relationships are more likely to be violent/abusive

Near the end of his essay, Barnes makes an argument which is apparently becoming NOM-dogma – gay parents molest their children at higher rates than heterosexual parents:

Similarly, the children of homosexual parents are much more likely to be sexually abused. The journal Adolescence reports that a “disproportionate percentage—29 percent—of the adult children of homosexual parents had been specifically subjected to sexual molestation by that homosexual parent, compared to only 0.6 percent of adult children of heterosexual parents having reported sexual relations with their parent…. Having a homosexual parent(s) appears to increase the risk of incest with a parent by a factor of about 50″ (P. Cameron and K. Cameron, “Homosexual Parents,” Adolescence 31 (1996): 772.).

To support his position, Barnes relies on the widely discredited work of Paul Cameron, a psychologist who has been disavowed by a number of major medical organizations – including the American Psychological Association – for misrepresenting sociological research on homosexuality.

This is exactly the same kind of propaganda that got groups like the Family Research Council and the American Family Association listed as anti-gay hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Advancing the claim that gay people are more inclined to molest their own children is a serious error in judgment. Advancing it twice in one week – and on two separate websites – is evidence that NOM is more than willing to use hate speech in its never-ending campaign to demonize gays and lesbians.

UPDATE: NOM president Brian Brown promoted the blog post in a tweet on Thursday:

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. Oh Wow . I doubt that, they really need to STOP with them Bogus ass Accusations.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:03pm
  2. That’s the biggest crock of bullshit I’ve ever heard. Show me the LEGITIMATE STUDY that proves this. Fuck you NOM.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:03pm
  3. fb REALLY needs an UNLIKE or HATE IT tag!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:03pm
  4. This is just more hater bullshit! Seriously go fuck yourself!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:04pm
  5. Why don’t they go after child molester and leave those who want to be married alone.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:05pm
  6. How about no

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:05pm
  7. -headdesk-

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:05pm
  8. REALLY, WHAT KIND OF HATER SHIT IS THIS!!!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:05pm
  9. is disturbed =/

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:06pm
  10. …The hell?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:06pm
  11. Are you fucking kidding me! The average pedophile is a heterosexual male so go tell with your crazy bs facts NOM

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:08pm
  12. THIS IS THE MOST IGNORANT THING I HAVE EVERY HEARD AND READ!!!! IF THIS IS THE CASE, THEN WHY IS ALWAYS A STRAIGHT PERSON BEING ARRESTED FOR MOLESTION OR DOMESTIC ABUSE?!?!?!?!?!?! AND LGBTQ’S NOT WANTING TO GET MARRIED!?!?!?!? WHAT IN THE HELL ARE WE FIGHTING FOR!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:08pm
  13. Pedophiles are heterosexual or homosexual. They’re pedophiles. This is just notorious and more hate propaganda. So according to them, gay people are fighting to get married because they don’t actually want to get married? Idiots -_-

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:10pm
  14. Bullshit!!!!!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:13pm
  15. sounds like they’re trying to divert the attention from themselves

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:13pm
  16. Ugh…

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:14pm
  17. From an academic standpoint, the fact that the essay is citing “research” done almost 20 years ago as proof just shows that the claim has no validity

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:14pm
  18. It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that straight fathers were way more likely to rape their own kids than any gay men.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:16pm
  19. uh. pshya. grappling for straws, much?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:16pm
  20. That is most seriously bullshit and they know it. Child abuse isn’t a gay or straight problem, it’s a sick motherfucker problem.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:17pm
  21. I highly doubt this article is accurate. Looks as though the author likes to ruffle feathers instead being unbiased.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:17pm
  22. This has totally made me angry. I am a lesbian who has a father and grandfather who molested me and my EX-husband (BEFORE I CAME OUT) molested my kids . UH, they are STRAIGHT!!!

Haters will come up with any excuse to make us look bad, but what they need to realize is the more they do this, the more ignorant they look. Besides who the decided we as humans were put on this Earth to judge others? Certainly not a loving higher power, so that must make haters idiots. I’m sure I could find a few skeletons in their closets. Latent homosexuals DO make the best homophobes.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:18pm
  23. Just look at who he is with. One of those religious right hate groups.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:19pm
  24. As a former Social worker in both the criminal justice and mental health fields I know for a fact this is scurulus hate propoganda and not at all factual. Statistics gathered from the FBI over the years shows a preponderance of hetero molestation of their children. I hope someone sues you NOM for spreading hate speach.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:22pm
  25. BOY…….they are always coming up with some load of BS !

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:22pm
  26. Human sexuality has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with paraphilias, such as pedophilia, that are psychological dysfunctions. Overly conservative, fake Christian, TOOLS! Absolutely pathetically!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:25pm
  27. And the world thinks Rick Perry is a dumb ass…

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:25pm
  28. *pathetic

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:25pm
  29. Really. And I use the tone as a disgusted statement more than a question…people like this disgust me and I am filled with a burning hatred and loathing that surpasses their own for me.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:26pm
  30. That has been put forth, repeatedly and it happens, but far, far less than in so called “traditional,” heterosexual families, as statistics will prove. Ignorant dummies and their propaganda.,.,,

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:26pm
  31. If you want to talk about Family Values, how bout we put cameras in yours and Maggie’s Houses??? Is Maggie even really married, where is her alleged Husband, Are Maggies children really bastards??? We can make up shit about you guys too ya know, but that would reduce us to being a lowly piece of crap like you. Worry about your own twisted life and leave good decent people alone!!!!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:28pm
  32. kiss my gay ass NOM!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:31pm
  33. That’s a load of crap. The accussations of how gay parents molest their own children, really? How low can a person go to discriminate and promote gay bashing? We teach ours kids not to discriminate or hate other people. But yet, our politicians say otherwise. How is that right?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:34pm
  34. Serious Paul Cameron the discredited psychologist is the biggest piece of garbage to have ever disgraced the human race. And his ridiculous claims and lack of evidence are ACTUALLY beings used by these anti-gay hate groups as support. Are they seriously blind to how illogical and repugnant his “works” are? SMH. No wonder people have no faith in others.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:35pm
  35. That Is full of crap I have ever here!!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:35pm
  36. Sometimes I just have to stop and reread stuff, it just didn’t sink in the first time around. HOw can anyone say something like this, OMG. All they talk about is sex all the time, I wish thats all I had to worry about, no bills, no kids to look after, no house to clean. What kind of moron is this that would say something like that, I love my children.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:37pm
  37. I heard many times that child molestation is occured mostly by heterosexual men. Ding ding the blame is converted to us to hide their hypocrisy…no one gets hurt as long as gays are blamed for there perversion…

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:38pm
  38. MMMM im hungry for some bullshit..cough cough well there it is I can eat now. I read more of this and i hate it when straight couples makes it this grand purified tradition that only men can marry women as some institution of marriage when they divorce all the time. Didnt a kardashian get divorced only after some weeks and britney spears after 16 hours! That’s the sacred institution of marriage that needs protection. Fine protect me from it cause i want my marriage to be eternal lol

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:42pm
  39. the safest i ever felt was under the care of my gay uncle

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:43pm
  40. omg whats next are they going to say we rop banks and kill more then straight do

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:43pm
  41. when will this madness end.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:44pm
  42. Mr.??you have no idea about gay couples,don’t you?…have you lived with them?…eaten with them at a table? or even spoken with them?NOPE…all you make are assumptions!!it makes me sick..but you just have to look at that hatefull face…he doesn’t have a clue what it means to love…gay or straight…shame on you!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:45pm
  43. this is unbelieveable! how stupid can people get?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:47pm
  44. I think every single LGBT person in this country should join together to file a definition of character claim against these people. They have gone way to far.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:52pm
  45. some folks talk sh*te and some believe sh*te but it takes a flat out,dumb-ass to believe their own sh*te….would be sad if it weren’t so pathetic :(

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 2:53pm
  46. OMG this makes my blood boil!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:05pm
  47. He is not in his right mind

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:08pm
  48. Just where do they get their information from? It may be time to call them out since the American Academy of Pediatrics disagrees.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:09pm
  49. Can we sue them?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:17pm
  50. Lost their minds?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:30pm
  51. Oh whatever, seriously? Straight men commit more acts against children than any other type of person. Period. And for the record NOM, my partner and I sure as fuck don’t molest our daughter, she’s our world and if stupid fucks like you actually spent time with a gay couple raising children you’d see with your own two eyes that we are just the same as straight couples who are raising children. We work, go to school, do the laundry, have dinner, you know NORMAL family things. And as a matter of fact, I know lots of straight people who have children but do not have custody of those children and some never will because they are just not fit to be parents. I don’t know one gay person(in my personal circle) who doesn’t have custody of their children. So what’s that tell you?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:36pm
  52. anything a gay person does, a straight person can do troo, but they are not affiliated with their sexuality. it’s more of a personal characteristic. it’s revolting that they’re spreading more ignorant lies. But not only are they spreading lies, they’re spreading the same old lies that was long ago. they’re just repeating bull. They’re like a broken record, keeps on repeating the same skit over and over.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 3:38pm
  53. wow…. just wow… this is THE most disgusting and angering thing i’ve seen in a looooooong time….

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:10pm
  54. Let’s kill the NOM idiots

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:10pm
  55. OMG!!! Well I have been molested by four members in my family and they were all men. I have never personally heard of a gay parent molesting their child. Also a large percentage of the women and girls I know have been molested by the men in their family. Get a damn clue you nutcase…

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:13pm
  56. isnt that funny mot child molesters are married heterosexuals

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:21pm
  57. what a bunch of liars.Just to turn people.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:28pm
  58. *dislike*

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:32pm
  59. funny that. then y did the dirty fuck of a father do this to my daughter that no dad should ever do??????? guess what u fucking tool, he is not gay. no wounder i am now

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:49pm
  60. If this was happening, wouldn’t someone have come forward by now? Actually, wouldn’t hundreds of people have come forward by now? They come forward when priests do it, but not their two moms or dads? Oh, please! :-{P}

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:52pm
  61. These people are idiots. It’s ashame that there are people still taking them seriously.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 5:29pm
  62. My gay moms never molested me and were happy and violence free for their 12 year relationship. Also, that makes no sense. He’s just making things up since he has no legitimate reason to hate gay people besides fearing threatened in his own sexual orientation.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 5:54pm
  63. Where are the victims? They have come forward about priests. Where are the victims of same-sex couples?

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 6:26pm
  64. This is complete BS! I wouldn’t even consider doing something like that to my son! Wow!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 6:27pm
  65. I think it is time for the LGBTQ Nation to get a democratic/independent nominee in the race. We really need new leadership and then we can do the good things for this nation, which will be to milk that top 1%. Otherwise, it will be up to us women to go for it, either way, one of us needs to do it, don’t you think it’s been long overdue??

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 6:53pm
  66. Seriously NOM, grow a fucking brain. And in the words of Ke$ha, Grow A Pear.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 7:52pm
  67. The reason these NOM assholes are saying shit like this is because they are grabbing for straws…they have absolutely no TRUTHFUL evidence to support ANY of the venom they vomit so they heed to make it up, exactly like their Re-Puke-lican Reich Wing screw-buddies. All they have is their OWN MADE-UP stories and lies. That’s their ‘evidence’. They are getting more pissed off as time goes on because we have more support and we are getting stronger each day. So, kiss the pink part, NOM Losers. You SUCK!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 8:08pm
  68. 0.6 percent? Are You kidding me? Well count me in that percentage. I am a lesbian and was raised by a mom and dad and guess what? You do the math and then tell me that gay parents molest their children more often

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 8:46pm
  69. Grrrr!!! obviously Nom is full of uneducated biggots!

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 8:55pm
  70. Freedom of speech is not a license for freedom to incite hate.

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 9:55pm
  71. I’m sure the number of gay couples who whose marriages don’t last (Oh wait how many of us are able to marry? What number of states is that now?) must separate at a greater rate then the vastly lower number of heterosexual couples that do. (Cause that is the minority there yes, heterosexuals? -.-)

Divorce not factoring in at all there. Every straight couple stays together now don’t they.

I’m sure of all the couples that are allowed to get kids are just turning around an immediately molesting them, cause that’s what they must have been planning all along.

Not like any Catholic figure heads would ever do that. Never.

Not sarcastic at allllll.

*face palm*

Posted on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 10:09pm
  72. sinceraly i think this is funny how they’re runing out of ideas XD

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 4:27am
  73. talk about false advertisement and false claims the abuse I endured as a child came from rightwing christians a doctor and straight men period NOM you make cow manure smell good in what your dishing out here !

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 5:50am
  74. These people are bug nut bat shit crazy. Seriously, if this sort of thing was said about any other minority, the media and society would rip them to pieces, but since it is us they not only get away with it, they get ringing endorsements.

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 9:54am
  75. Nowhere in the bible does it specifically say being gay is a sin and i would argue that it is a burden thrown on gay people at birth because of the nature of sin upon the whole earth. just like every living creature experiences death due to the nature of sin but those pharisees are committing a real sin by baring false witness against their neighbors so shame on the real sinners. though in other ways i too am not worthy to wear the rags of a beggar but am very blessed by christ who strenghthens me

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 10:55am
  76. It’s time nom gets listed as a hate group.

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 5:55am