Around the Nation

New York

New York man convicted of killing owner of gay bar after consensual sex

Saturday, November 19, 2011

ELMIRA, N.Y. — A jury in Chemung County, N.Y. has found Louis M. Duffy guilty of murder in the May 1 killing of Clinton “Billy” Lewis, the owner of Club Chill, a gay bar in Elmira, N.Y.

Louis Duffy

The jury convicted Duffy, 21, of second-degree murder and two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon after about two and a half hours of deliberation on Thursday.

Duffy, of Horeseheads, N.Y., previously confessed to the murder, telling police that the shooting occurred after the two men had consensual sex.

In his testimony, Duffy said a molestation “flashback,” coupled with his first homosexual experience, caused him to shoot Lewis after the pair had sex. Duffy said he was abused by his adoptive grandfather when he was in the second and third grades.

Duffy said he went to stay with Lewis the morning of the killing because Lewis had offered him a construction job the following day at a lakehouse. He said he had no intention of having sex with Lewis, but when Lewis started kissing him, “I let it go on,” Duffy said.

Duffy testified that he’s still unsure of his sexuality – he’s still attracted to women but has homosexual “tendencies.” He said he began having thoughts of sex with men in 11th grade, but he never experimented before his encounter with Lewis.

Duffy claimed to be under extreme emotional distress, and that after Lewis, 53, told him they were going to have sex again, he grabbed a gun from his backpack and fired.

Duffy claimed he was high on cocaine at the time of the murder.

During the trial, prosecutors grilled Duffy about a letter he wrote from jail about a month before the trial, which said he would lie on the stand to avoid a murder conviction.

Duffy could face 25 years to life when he’s sentenced on January 9.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: New York

1. gd he should b put to death fairs fair

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:22pm
  2. Thats a bit odd having sex with someone then killing them…Good kill him

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:24pm
  3. sickening!

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:25pm
  4. O.o…. Idiot!

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:26pm
  5. Kill him or let him rot. in prison for life. Bet he won’t be saying no or killing anyone when they rape his ass !!

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:27pm
  6. Monstrous. . . it baffles me how people can “hate” themselves and others for being “sexual” creatures. . . we are human beings and we have sex. . . either for reproduction, recreation, or just honoring our “power” of creation. . .
    So a “man” consented to having sex with “gay” bar owner and then murdered him. . . hmmm. . . I am thrilled to know he is going through due process in the State of New York. . . this is my opinionated statement. . .

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:28pm
  7. ugh .. this is why i dont fuck with first timers

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:29pm
  8. sad :/ another proof that having sex with a 25yo when you’re 53 is a bad idea…

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:33pm
  9. I am against the death penalty, however in prison we can assume he will be “raped” by multiple prison inmates if convicted for capital murder. . . hmmm. . . albiet he never thought of that before he “consented” to having sex with a man. . . if convicted we can presume it will never be consensual for him again. . . lol

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:35pm
  10. good

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:38pm
  11. I am assuming he was a straight guy trying to cover his self and didn’t think “If I get caught I will be all over the news” this is a mad world we live in now.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:43pm
  12. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about this. If he was honestly molested when he was younger (not calling him a liar – I’m just being a skeptic) it’s a shame he didn’t receive the help he needed. Had he gotten it, there is a good chance this wouldn’t have happened. And the possibility of being on drugs definitely didn’t help anything. I’m not trying to justify what he did, but more refusing to jump to instantly hating a man that wasn’t mentally stable and had an instinctive reaction… Though I don’t understand how anyone under any circumstances could take another life, and it’s a tragedy that things like this happen. There is far more to this issue than “a guy questioning his sexuality killed a man after having his consentual first gay experience.” And it upsets me how people jump to conclusions… okay I’m done with my skeptic ranting, please no flame hate – just trying to get people to think…

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 2:52pm
  13. lolfag

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:02pm
  14. You see based off of the info I got from Robert’s comment above mine I can state this. There is no excuse to take human life unless in defense. He also should not have put himself in the situation. All the blame rests on the murderer for not seeking help and for being a drug user. Mental instability and drug use makes you double weak. Therefore, I find him double guilty. And to all you math fags out there who want to state I made a double negative, shove it. I made a double positive by saying he’s double guilty. He’s off the street. The public is safe.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:06pm
  15. As a pround gay man as myself I hope he gets the death penalty I really do hope too god because I dont like these fuckin Straight people gay bashing us and doing bodylie? too us GAYS.So have fun jail dude,and like I said I hope you get the death penatly.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:18pm
  16. I hope he gets whats cumming too him

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:19pm
  17. if he did the murder then he deserves the jail time.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:21pm
  18. very interesting case

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:33pm
  19. @morther shorldon…..to me, you lack the mental capacity to understand the thoughts of another human. your “lolfag” comment has no value in this discussion, therefore, your latter comments are dismissed immediately.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:38pm
  20. Although prison rape is a real problem, and does happen, how often it happens, and the level a prosecution of prison rapists is a variable controlled by prison administrators and their policies, to a great extent. However vile a man’s crime, to say “I hope he gets raped,” or “He will get raped multiple times” is to endorse rape is a prison norm, which it is not in properly run facilities. It is a favorite threat used by prosecutors and police to get non-violent offenders to give up other offenders. It is just wrong, regardless of the intended victim and or their prior offense.However, the fear a young man might feel walking into a prison for the first time, is just what women have to live with every day.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:52pm
  21. @Kevin George, Exactly right about what that ignorant person said. Now for my own comment. I agree with someone who said that had this defendant received the help he deserved and needed when he was younger, this probably wouldn’t have happened. A sad case.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 3:58pm
  22. Not surprising. People be rale serious about they hetero privilege

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 4:00pm
  23. I’m sorry but it’s as bad as the twinki defense. I have flash backs due to sexual trama and its an in the moment thing, not after. And if it was such a horifing thing he wouldn’t have consented.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 4:53pm
  24. Flashbacks during a sexual encounter and a violent death…yeah, I’m with Erica. He concocted the story to get sympathy from the jury

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 6:04pm
  25. Glad to see he didn’t get away with the “gay panic” defense.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 6:41pm
  26. He’ll get plenty of non consensual gay sex now. :-)

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 8:15pm
  27. Hope you take a LOT of Preparation H with ya, Lou, cuz you’re gonna need it asswipe!

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 8:57pm
  28. If he’s telling the truth, he too is a victim. But who knows. what would be most interesting is if we can ferret out if it was a catholic priest or another church’s leader.

if you think the cathoic church is a horror (I do), just google “Southern Baptists – childmolestation”

While the problem seems to stem from Priests not able to get married, it appears that “power”, namely the idea that religious leaders control your path to God may be just as big a factor. It goes to their heads, lots of little kids they can deposit their genes into, and then so easily convince the kid that it was the kids fault. Added onto by their ability to tell kids that hell awaits them if rhw kids rat out the perp.

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 10:37pm
  29. not a fortune teller but AM predicting a bunch of man-on-man action in his future

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 3:49am
  30. Wow, everyone is loving the idea of rape as punishment. I guess I’m in the minority of thinking that’s really messed up.

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 at 2:38pm
  31. we live in a crazy little world he must had lot of hate to such a thing like that what a dummy

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 4:03am