Views & Voices

Linda Harvey, the game of peek-a-boo is over — gay people exist. Grow up.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Everyone has played the delightfully amusing game of peek-a-boo with a small child.

With their eyes are covered, it does not matter if the child’s heads, shoulders, knees and toes are showing; they are no longer visible to you and you are not visible to them. This is how young children, about two years old, understand visibility.

“Seeing” means “mutually engaged” to a child. However, adults know, or should know, that covering their eyes does not mean the other person does not exist.

But Linda Harvey — who is not two-years-old — is covering her eyes, and in her world, gay people have gone away.

Harvey, founder of the Columbus, Ohio-based Mission America, is a Christian talk show host and author of a weekly newsletter tracking cultural issues with a particularly keen focus on the LGBT community. She has said some really awkward things recently:

“They (the gays) all hate Jesus Christ and his followers”

“There’s one big fact that’s not backed up. There is no proof that there’s ever anything like a gay, lesbian or bisexual or transgendered child, or teen or human.”

I thought I would offer to be an on air guest on her daily talk show. It seemed reasonable — two Christian women with gentle, moderate tones talking about a cultural issue. But, Linda really has covered her eyes. She does not see gay people; they do not exist.

She responded to my offer over a series of exchanges:

Kathy:

I do appreciate your writing me. After reading your blog, I have to tell you, we are not going to agree, mainly because your writings reveal you have adopted essentially the world’s view on this and not what is expressed in Scripture as God’s.

There are not “gay” people; there are people involved in homosexuality, but they are not a biologically different human type than Joe hetero on the street. So please stop using that inaccurate term, one that also belies your lack of faith in what God has told us.

Interesting… “there are not gay people, only heterosexual people involved in homosexuality.”

And as a heterosexual person that loves and advocates equality for gay people, my lack of faith in God is questionable too.

At a later point in the letter, Linda points out that since celibacy is a choice, then being, or acting homosexual is also a choice. Linda says:

“There are some ex-homosexuals who have this (being celibate and no longer homosexual) testimony.”

So, there are ex-homosexuals, but not homosexuals? It is a logic nightmare.

Ignoring an entire class of people does not mean that they do not exist; that is childish thinking.

The Bible says, “When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.” I Cor. 13:11

Linda, the game of peek-a-boo is over. You are a grown Christian woman now. Not only is yours the attitude of a two-year old, it is wholly non-Christian to ignore and discount others. What Jesus would do if He encountered His gay neighbor? Would He cover His eyes or stick His fingers in His ears like a child practicing avoidance?

I do think Linda Harvey is in a minority group of Christians, but she is one of the ones making the noise and the news. She informs the uninformed and they join her in a game of peek-a-boo.

Uncover your eyes, do you see your gay neighbor? Do your Jesus-eyes see the injustices they suffer? Then speak up.

Linda Harvey does not speak for me and I will bet she does not speak for you.

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. Great. Finally :) <3 <3 <3
    I absolutely HATE it how some people choose to let others stay ignorant. My parents shun the whole “gay” thing when my little sister is around (and she’s in mid-high now). Yeah, I’m gay. If you’re okay with that, why can’t we talk about it all as a family?

Ugh :/ One day, one day we will find that pot of gold behind the rainbow–that’s what I hang on to everyday–this very thought. :)

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:05am
  2. This woman makes me sick.

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:13am
  3. She doesn’t speak for me either as a Jesus loving gay woman. I could chose to be celibate but I would still be gay and the Christ of the gospel does not call me to a life of shame. He calls me, and my gay and straight brothers and and sisters, to radical world-changing love.

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:24am
  4. I forgot to say THANK YOU Kathy for writing this and LGBTQNation for publishing it. <3 <3 <3

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:25am
  5. s’pose left-handed people don’t exist either, coz 90% of the population is right-handed……..

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 8:09am
  6. Is it really peek-a-boo? I thought it was more like “pretend” games.

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 8:26am
  7. OMG peek-a-boo? haha … Lets all just get along people.. =)

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 8:38am
  8. The sheer force of the LGBT movement these days is traumatizing some people who fear change. Rhetoric like “gay people dont exist” or “gay marriage is a temporary aberration” signals their inability to cope with the reality that’s hitting them in the face. We’re getting under their skin! heh heh! cackle cackle!

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 8:41am
  9. lol she be crazy…

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 9:07am
  10. You know, I feel sorry for Linda. This is the kind of thing she will be remembered for after death. We only have 100 or so years to live, why waste it on things like this? How did she become so blinded? We are people too, we are real, we exist! She won’t be able to hide afterwards when she watches all the good gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. community go to heaven as she slowly sinks down to hell. I hope, in her case, God is forgiving, or she’s really screwed.

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 10:04am
  11. im not sure if i should find this funny or sad

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 10:28am
  12. I think it’s ridiculous. So three of my best friends don’t exist? Or my older brother? Wow, they sure had me fooled.

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 3:42pm
  13. Peek-a-boo. Do you still us a pacifier??

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:06pm
  14. just have to same she is some crazy person.

Posted on Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 12:16pm
  15. She only reads the bible to suit her needs, if she really found out her husband had been cheating on her, and truly read the bible then why did she not put him to death?

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 9:05am
  16. I suppose the next thing is to turn over on her back like a beetle, make herself very small and pretend that SHE isn’t there.

…to which I won’t object…

Then, invisibility. POOF!

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 at 3:51am
  17. Ursula Lawley writes, “s’pose left-handed people don’t exist either, coz 90% of the population is right-handed”

That’s right Ursula. There are ONLY right-handed people some of which are unnaturally involved with their left-hand.

LOL Seriously, That’s a good one Ursula!

Posted on Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at 11:40am
  18. This is clearly delusional thinking. Of course gay people exist! But making it a heterosexual choice to be homosexual is the only way she can reconcile her beliefs that all gay people are vile creatures. This is the reason people like her can advocate for the death penalty for gay people. If she ever sees us as real human beings I honestly don’t know what she’ll do.

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 5:12am
  19. This is ridiculous. I hate how people use Christianity as an excuse to attack others. The Bible teaches us to love our fellow people, not love them unless they’re gay, then it’s a free for all hatefest. I mean, the ten comandments:

-have no other God before me
    -don’t bow down to idols
    -do not misuse My name
    -remember the sabbath day
    -honor your father and mother
    -do not murder
    -do not commit adultry
    -do not steal
    -do not bear false witness
    -do not covet

So where exactly in there does it say anything, ANYTHING, about sexual orientation? -_-

Next time these people are spoken to, I’d like to hear where the heck they’re pulling their gay-hatin bible quotes from.

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2011 at 5:29pm