Utah man attacked in third anti-gay assault in recent weeks

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Utah gay man was attacked in the early morning hours on Thursday — the third anti-gay attack in the Salt Lake City area in recent weeks.

Cameron Nelson said he was attacked at his place of employment, that his assailants called him “faggot” and other slurs, and said he believes he was assaulted because of his sexual orientation.

Nelson was on the job at an American Fork hair salon when he said two or three people began beating him up and yelling anti-gay slurs at him.

The 32-year-old was taking out the garbage at the salon near Center Street and 100 North at 12:45 a.m. when the assault began. Nelson said he is gay and that he believes that was why the attackers, whom he did not know, targeted him.

Sgt. Gregg Ludlow of the American Fork Police Department called the remarks made toward Nelson “disgusting” and said the actions of Nelson’s attackers were “quite repugnant.”

Nelson was treated for a broken nose and minor injuries.

On Aug. 26, Dane Hall, 20, was attacked and brutally beaten outside Club Sound in Salt Lake City after leaving the dance club on “gay night.” Hall lost six teeth, suffered a broken jaw in multiple places and a piece of broken bone was shoved into his brain when his attackers “curbed” or “curb stomped” him.

Earlier this year, another gay man, 21-year old Jordan Corona, was also attacked from behind by several assailants after leaving Club Sound on “gay night.” Corona was treated for a concussion as a result of the attack, he said.

In the third recent assault, a group of men broke into a gay man’s Salt Lake City apartment and beat up his boyfriend.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Utah

1. Their is never a good reason to hate anyone.

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:13am
  2. You cannot be a mature adult if you have hate in your heart or mind. It’s your choice.

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:14am
  3. yet another good reason to stay the hell away from Utah

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:23am
  4. wow. good mormon christians at it again?

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:27am
  5. And here I thought the worst thing one would have to face in Utah was the water that makes you grow extra uteri.

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:30am
  6. Another American state that will never see any of my gay money.

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:32am
  7. And you know there going to protect the attacker, because god for fucking bid he did anything wrong and he’ll make the excuse “He was hitting on me”.
    *Megs*

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:32am
  8. Back in 91 i was at a party in Utah and was dragged out the door and stomped in the head by cowboy boots just because i was suspected of being gay. It was an isolated case for me. I was living there when Mathew Shepperd was killed and i specifically remember a general outrage across the population. Keep in mind i didn’t run around in Mormon circles, but i didn’t hang with gay people either because i didnt know any. There are a lot of open minded people behind the Zion curtain BUT…my experience was limited. Now, Wyoming- Wyoming makes Utah look like a gay paradise. On the way to the Mathew Shepperd benefit concert in Laramie, WY (elton john) people of WY were lined at the offramps and onramps holding anti gay signs- not just near laramie either- i seen them here and there all
    across WY during the 6 hour drive from Utah. Dont spend your gay money anywhere this sort of foolishness takes place.

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 11:21am
  9. Ppl need to get over their hate for gay ppl. Why does it matter if someone else is gay, straight, lesbian, bi, tran or whatever? The main point is don’t be an asshole and attack someone over something that isn’t your business.

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 3:19pm
  10. Please concentrate are these Copy Cat Crimes or all committed by one group of homophobes. Wake up LGBT in UTAH and stay in twos with CAMERAS (and self-defense) weapons handy!

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 6:30pm
  11. Lorion you are exactly right. Homosexuals (i’m one) need to be prepared. You never know when some homophobic ass hole will spot you. There is still a lot of bigotry out there and you can never be too careful…

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 7:41pm
  12. First of all I want to say that this is horrific and it sickens me that things like this go on. (My heart breaks every time I hear these type of stories.) I have had several gay friends and I can’t imagine how awful I’d feel if something like this happened to one of them.

Second I want to address the a-holes who are bashing Utah and Mormons. As someone who grew up LDS (though I no longer consider myself a member) I can guarantee that not all “Mormons” are gay bashing homophobes. In fact as far as my experience goes Mormons are far more accepting of homosexuals than other christian denominations. Frankly I find it offensive that people just assume that the attackers were Mormon. No Mormon I’ve ever known would even think of doing something that horrible, even if they don’t agree with their lifestyle. (In case everyone has forgotten, Mormons were persecuted as bad as homosexuals are today when they started out. They are only in Utah because they were violently kicked out of everywhere else. People still today have unfair prejudices against them.) Also Salt Lake City ranks in the top ten cities in the U.S. with the HIGHEST percent of homosexual couples. So how exactly does that make SLC an anti-gay place? Sadly whenever you get a higher percent of homosexuals you see more occurrences of homophobia, because homophobes live everywhere. Lorion is right these are most likely CopyCatCrimes from ONE group of people, and since when does one group of “bad eggs” mean we should condemn a whole city or a whole damn state.

I’d like to end on a question I hope you all ponder: Why do you feel the need to hate on people and places you know nothing about (because you clearly know NOTHING about Utah and NOTHING about Mormons), and do you even realize that it makes you as bad as homophobes?

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 9:21am