NC House passes anti-LGBT amendment; bill now heads to state Senate

By Matt Comer
Monday, September 12, 2011

RALEIGH, N.C. – The North Carolina House of Representatives passed today, 75-42, a proposed anti-LGBT state constitutional amendment that would ban marriage, civil unions, domestic partnerships and other relationship recognition for same-sex couples.

The House took up the amendment after its rushed passage through the chamber’s Rules Committee earlier this afternoon. It came as another surprise move by Republican legislative leaders, who had previously announced, though sneakily, that the amendment would be heard today in a Senate committee. Sources say two GOP senators had excused absences, leaving the body without the votes for passage.

The newest version of the amendment, SB 514, moves the ballot date from November 2012 to the primary election in May 2012. Speaker of the House Thom Tillis (R-Mecklenburg) said the date change was a way to “remove politics” from the issue.

“What we’re trying to do is respect the concerns of some who felt like this was purely politically-motivated,” Tillis said at the press conference. “I decided, consulting with a number of people, and we decided that this was the most acceptable form. It was a discussion that involved both chambers. There are some members who were inclined to support the bill and did feel like political considerations were an issue that might cause them not to vote for something they would otherwise support.”

GOP leaders had come under fire for placing the amendment on the ballot during next year’s presidential elections. Critics said they were merely attempting to increase conservative voter turnout.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: North Carolina

1. Fucking rednecks. Get with the times already!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:29pm
  2. I am so ashamed of my state. What a sad day for the people of NC. :(

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:30pm
  3. >.<

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:30pm
  4. makes be hate being a north carolinian

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:32pm
  5. Makes me wonder if I should just move. Sheesh.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:32pm
  6. :{ booooo!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:32pm
  7. I hate the effing South…always determined to be 20 years behind the rest of the country. This sucks.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:33pm
  8. What…the…fuck…. I can’t even believe this….. We have come so far and yet still the government promotes such biggotry and BS. I feel like we’re in the 60′s….way to go Republicans…way to go…..

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:35pm
  9. guess a large chunk of the population is basically non-existant in the eyes of the politicians of N.C.-hope like hell everyone who can raises holy hell til the pol. hear them>no time for shyness or acting demure,GET LOUD! YOU EXIST & DESERVE EQUAL RIGHTS!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:35pm
  10. Sad that people still haven’t grown up..

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:36pm
  11. It makes me want to do evil things, but my goodness must over come even though this makes me so full of hate towards those who have the most hate of all!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:36pm
  12. nothing gets me more upset than seeing people hate others…especially for no reason whatsoever. shame on you, NC.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:37pm
  13. Homophobes = faggots. Why must they attempt to ban our right to love and live?

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:37pm
  14. Heart breaking

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:37pm
  15. NC was always a bit backwards anyway…LOL

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:45pm
  16. Time to stop being polite about this bigotry. FUCK YOU homophobes, your just as bad as the fucking racists.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:47pm
  17. Dislike.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:48pm
  18. The Bill still has a chance to die.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:51pm
  19. that’s what i am saying… i’m too tired and too old to keep being “NICE” we are eventually gonna have to get ugly and take it to the streets.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:52pm
  20. Let’s hope it does.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:52pm
  21. Try all they want. Not gonna last….

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:54pm
  22. Y’know what pisses me off the most? The fact they were doing it behind the public’s back..

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:57pm
  23. 75 bigoted jerks presume to speak for about 6 million potential North Carolina voters? You don’t have a lot of time, but 8 months is still 8 months. As Stacey Alexander said so well above: “hope like hell everyone who can raises holy hell til the pol. hear them>no time for shyness or acting demure,GET LOUD!”

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 7:08pm
  24. stop paying state taxes.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 7:10pm
  25. here we go…………

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 7:12pm
  26. Great. All these years I had been thinking there was no way North Carolina could get shittier.
    I was wrong.
    Thank god I registered to vote last week.

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 7:37pm
  27. It’s not even about being “behind” – it’s about doing what’s right!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 7:54pm
  28. Brian: ain’t gonna happen. Too many have been brainwashed. They grow up in padded houses, play games where “everybody wins!”, and are taken to the emergency room for a sniffle. Look at the music they grow up with now, there’s no anger, no fight, no soul.
    “I’m a rebel, errr… but I don’t do drugs, I drink only in moderation, and I watch my carbs… oh, yeah, errr.”

If such laws bother people so much, MOVE OUT OF THE DAMNED STATE. And take your TAXES with you. When anti states start seeing pro states getting increased tax revenue, thing may start to change. For all their moral outrage, every politician is weakest in the pocket. [Note: if you are too poor to move, you are too poor to have an effect on the state's income. Not a judgement, just an explanation.]

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 8:26pm
  29. This is so sad…I was hoping for more from my home state!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 8:35pm
  30. …big old D*I*S*L*I*K*E!!! for this…

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 10:22pm
  31. Bigotry is alive and well in the bible belt! They are just upset because these southern politician refuse to come out of the closet! I bet at least 15% of them are LGBTQ or have at least experimented with it!

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 10:40pm
  32. Aaaannndddd THIS is why I hate living in this state. :(

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 11:21pm
  33. That legislation makes me very sad. <3 maria <3

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 4:00am
  34. We are just going to have to get out & vote! Also we need to remind our straight friends that IF they vote this in then they are agreeing that WE are only second class citizens

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 4:21am
  35. Fortunately, these idiots from another time will die out with their bigotry. Change is unevitable. Twenty to thirty years from now, when today’s youth will be in charge, progress will finally reach the bible belt. I’ll be an old man by then.

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 5:17am
  36. Cowards!

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 7:02am
  37. Two words to sum up their government: Douchebag fucktards.

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 8:52am
  38. This makes me ashamed for my home state of NC.

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 11:41am
  39. I agree Robin

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 12:24pm
  40. Why are people liking this who on this page?

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 12:28pm
  41. Oops…why are people liking this who are on this page?

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 12:29pm