Girl, 10, trapped in a boy’s body, makes a brave decision

Worcester News
By James Connell
Thursday, September 15, 2011

WORCESTER, U.K. — A girl trapped in a boy’s body has made the brave decision to return to school for the new term as a girl.

The 10-year-old, a year six pupil at primary school in Worcester, was born a boy but took the decision with her family over the summer holidays to return as a girl.

The Worcester News has agreed to protect the identity of the girl who has had gender dysphoria diagnosed by experts in London.

This is a rare condition where a person feels that they are trapped within a body of the wrong sex.

Her 36-year-old mum, who lives in Worcester, said: “She is within her mind a girl but she has a boy’s body.

“She is the same as everybody else apart from the fact she doesn’t feel right in her own body.”

Her mum said that she had known that her daughter was was different since the age of two-and-a-half.

She said: “She would rather play with a doll than a car.

“She is a girlie girl. She wants all the latest fashions. There is nothing about her which is male.

“It wasn’t a problem until she got to primary school at the age of seven-and-a-half.

“Then she would have to lie about what she got for Christmas and say a football or an Action Man when in fact she got a pair of sparkly shoes and a Barbie.

“Everything she was having to do was a lie.”

She also said her daughter, who would dress as a girl in school holidays, received abuse during the summer break when she went to buy orange juice and milk from the shop and returned crying when an adult called her a freak.

Her mum said: “She returned and said, ‘Mum, I can’t even go to the shop’. We went to a performance at the school and my daughter went as herself.

“Some of the parents were unhappy she was allowed to go into the school. They were walking past, coughing, and saying, ‘That’s that freak family. That’s that freak child’.”

Her mum said there had been some bullying from the children, verbal and physical, but that many children had accepted her and it was adults who had given her abuse.

Her parents have not yet decided how they will approach her medical condition in future but say she will not be given hormone blockers until she is 12.

Her mum said: “It’s not a phase. It’s not a choice.

“What child would choose to be completely miserable?

“I don’t expect people to understand. I just don’t want people abusing my child.

“I don’t want her to be called a freak. I want her to be left alone.”

Her mum said the headteacher of the school had been “fantastic” and said her daughter had been “brave” to come back to school as a girl.

Related:

Mother, child speak to BBC; say they’re glad to not be living a lie

Speaking to BBC Radio, the young girl said she had been very “disappointed” about being forced to wear boys’ uniform, and said she was excited to now be permitted to dress as a girl.

Listen, courtesy BBC Radio 5 Live:

In a statement released by Worcestershire County Council, the school’s head teacher said, “Our school operates an inclusive policy and works hard to ensure all our pupils have the support they need,” reported the BBC.

“As part of this, we feel it is important to encourage discussion and promote understanding,” he said.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: United Kingdom

1. how can you support this when you know it will most likely lead to her committing suicide and you will be the same people saying you did not see this coming ?

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:44pm
  2. WOW… way to be supportive.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:47pm
  3. @ Timmy Tootoot- You are a moron if you believe THAT is what will make her commit suicide. If she commits suicide it is because of society and idiots who do not support her and make her feel like a second class minority. Of course she will have it rough and it’s people like you who will cause such pain in her life. I hope you can sleep at night.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:48pm
  4. Can we like, i dont know, actually use terms that aren’t offensive to trans people? thanks guys.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:48pm
  5. I think there is more courage in this one little girl than in I can ever dream of having. Just reading this story makes me happy to be alive.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:49pm
  6. my ‘brother’ is a girl trapped in a boys body, i hope this lil one gets all the love and support she needs <3

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:49pm
  7. Tootoot (lol) is a transphobic ignorant ass. THE T IS THERE FOR A REASON

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:51pm
  8. I so adore her and proud she”s courageous! I wish I would”ve been out earlier and lived as a girl when I was her age. Kudos to her.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:53pm
  9. She has got a lot more courage and strength than a lot of these so called adults. That child is living life as she feels fit and not letting anyone tell her otherwise. Yea, shes 10 but that doesnt mean she should ignore her feelings.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:53pm
  10. Can I ask what it was that was offensive?

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:56pm
  11. Timmy: The only reason she would commit suicide is becase of people’s ignorance and shunning her for who she is. With love and SUPPORT, she will grow and be comfortable with herself, rather than hate herself. If she’s happy and getting the help she needs, why would she commit suicide?

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:58pm
  12. You mean your sister?

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:59pm
  13. Its amazing this is becoming a staple of 2day, progress is always hard but worth it

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:00pm
  14. Pretty much the entire article; condescending “YOU ARE SO BRAVE”, the ‘trapped in a body’ narrative, and the fact that the entire article is basically “A trans person DOES A THING! ISNT THAT AMAZING!”

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:03pm
  15. You go girl

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:04pm
  16. Nicole Smith: I’m sure your sister appreciates being called your ‘brother’..the quotations are ignorant and condescending at best, transphobic at worst.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:05pm
  17. I hope this kid gets all the support and love she needs.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:05pm
  18. Nicole, lay off Nicole. Not everyone is eloquent enough to properly, and without insult, explain that.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:14pm
  19. this kinda of choice is hard to make. Takes tremendous courage. Kudos to her parents for showing such support.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:17pm
  20. Lighten up Aimee, you stupid hater. What’s amazing is that this child IS ONLY 10 — what brave things did you do at that age? I’m guess nothing, since all you can do now is criticize. Grow up or go away.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:18pm
  21. I hope the school system does not victimize this child and family!!!

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:22pm
  22. Hooray for this little one !!!I am so glad that the “times” are changed for the better. I wish this sort of understanding was around during my time of “knowing” what I wanted to be.But it all worked out at the end !!!Just hang in there little girl…and be HAPPY !! And most of all..be PROUD !!!

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:23pm
  23. What a heartwarming story, and good for her!! ['Wish I could have done the same when I was her age. But society was woefully ignorant back then, and so was I... by extension]. :/

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:25pm
  24. If she’s strong enough, she’s going to grow up to be a great independent thinker.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 6:30pm
  25. Remember your Beautiful from the Outside and In<3 and your fantastic!!

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 7:26pm
  26. You know I wish I knew about this when I was her age I would have transitioned then instead of 26 years later. I would have enjoyed life more and would have done things a lot different. I would have been more outgoing and do the things I always wanted to that never did. FTM

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 7:56pm
  27. Kudos to the mother and this child. I am a Transwoman that finally found her path/destiny in this so called life at the age of 40 and transitioned. I am happier than I thought was possible, my life is full, people love to be around me, and I am true to myself. I wish I could have known this at the age of this girl. I would have enjoyed more of my life instead of just after age 40. At least I was positive enough to stay alive until then, many don’t…choosing to leave thiis mortal coil vs. enduring the hate so many shriveled souls spew forth against those they don’t/and don’t care to understand. I’ve a fantastic mum who understood me when I came out to her…she saw my life fall into place and it finally made sense. I’m gals you are able to see this now in your new daughters life.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 7:59pm
  28. While its understandable to believe this but I don’t necessarily think that someone with Gender Dysphoria would commit suicide because they are allowed to portray themselves as the gender which they truly believe they are. If I (a male) believed in every shape way and form on the inside i was a female, and i was unable to communicate those feelings, i would feel trapped. And honestly i think the desperation that leads to suicide comes from that trapped feeling, not from a Mother and Father who accept their child’s condition and allow her to live her life as her body feels it should.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 10:44pm
  29. Never in the darkest, violent, most horrible recesses of my mind would it be REMOTELY possible that I could imagine even in the SLIGHTEST that some inane arrangement of carbon atoms, that CLAIMS to be a living breathing intelligent being, would DARE call a 10 year old child a freak!

That inexcusable wretch, ineffably callow nutbag, it is an unabashed disgrace upon society that they are allowed to exist, i am preposterously ashamed to share 95% of genetic similarity with that pathetic excuse for a human.
    I hope that they come to the realization that their raison d’etre is to provide the earth with their death. Only so that they may live out the rest of their completely worthless life in utter despair.

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 10:47pm
  30. I wish this individual human being, all the love and happiness they deserve, whatever might be their sexual orientation, their gender identity, their race and cultural background, their beliefs, their needs, their wants, their favorite colors, their… individuality.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 3:38am
  31. I love her parents! :D

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 11:23am
  32. I wish all people felt that way about their children.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 12:28pm
  33. God..you gave her that strength…give her more as she ventures out into this cruel world!

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 12:29pm
  34. I’m glad to know that parents are providing their child with the best life possible! Good for them!

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 12:33pm
  35. Now this is the type of news that I like to hear!

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 12:36pm
  36. isn’t it amazing whae we know before we’re taught what to think,how to feel&act!! We know who we are before anyone else does!!

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 12:45pm
  37. Brave family. <3 Well done for standing by her!!!

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 1:19pm
  38. Awesome! What a lucky girl to have such supportand encouragement from your family!

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 1:23pm
  39. Parents like this pave the way for the rest of our kids. It’s hard to explain to young kids that they can’t be who they are. So I don’t. My daughter honestly believes she is a boy. I take any backlash for her. She slowly takes who she is to the next level. 2 weeks ago she told people at the park her name is Jake. I asked if I could still call her Rose. She said sure! I just love my kid <3 (She started being a boy before she ever knew she was a girl. It’s impossible to backtrack now.) Thank you to everyone in the world who understands this.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 1:32pm
  40. You OBVIOUSLY have no clue regarding gender dysphoria.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 3:45pm
  41. Aimww, u r an ignorant cow.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 3:48pm
  42. Rachel, thank you for being supportive of your child. I’m so pleased by all the messages of support for transgender children here.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 3:54pm
  43. Its a happy story.. Love it.

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 10:22pm
  44. Not sure why they feel like calling it a medical condition. By calling it this, it implies that it’s some sort of illness. I hope things go well for her at school. :)

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:59am
  45. I’ve heard of that happening–both ways. No matter what, let’s hope all goes well for her.

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 3:47pm
  46. Really? She is going to commit suicide huh? So ignorant. How about we say that about everything in life? Well this cancer patient is going to die eventually anyway, so what the hell, let’s just ignore this. Or this kid get’s bad grades in school, he won’t amount to anything in life so let’s just leave him be and not try to help him. Good God, are you serious??

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 at 8:41am
  47. Timmy Tootoot, how can you say such a thing? There is no way to tell if either of them will commit suicide or not. From the sounds of it, these two girls are getting plenty of good support, and receiving much better reactions from most people than what I’ve seen. Most trans people I’ve known of killing themselves did it because of closer people not accepting them, or everyone in general, while these girls have plenty of acceptance in their lives. They have a much better chance to be open with who they are than most trans people get. They deserve to be supported. They would be much more likely to kill themselves if they DIDN’T get this support.

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 5:56pm
  48. @ Timmy Tootoot- if her parents support, it will be fine. oh and also, its not a rare; im trans, and ik more than 60 teens who are, all of whom ive met in the last year. we’re not freaks, we’re people

Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 1:03pm