Fort Worth student serves suspension for saying ‘homosexuality is wrong’

Friday, September 23, 2011

FT. WORTH, Texas A 14-year-old high school student in Fort Worth was suspended after remarking to a classmate in his German language class that he believes homosexuality is wrong.

In a broadcast report on KDFW-TV, Dakota Ary said:

“We were talking about religions in Germany. I said, ‘I’m a Christian. I think being a homosexual is wrong,’” he said. “It wasn’t directed to anyone except my friend who was sitting behind me. I guess [the teacher] heard me. He started yelling. He told me he was going to write me an infraction and send me to the office.”

A school administrator contacted Ary’s mother, Holly Pope, at work to let her know he was in trouble.

“At first I was in disbelief. My son is on the honor roll with great grades. I don’t have any problems out of him,” Pope said.

After hearing Ary’s explanation of what happened, the assistant principal reduced the original suspension from two days to one. But Pope was not satisfied with that.

“He was stating an opinion. He has a right to do that. They punished him for it,” Pope said.

Attorney Matt Krause joined Ary and his mom at a Wednesday morning meeting with the principal. They asked for the blemish to be taken off his record and reassurance there would be no retaliation.

“Students don’t lose their first amendment rights just because they go in the schoolhouse door,” Krause said.

District spokesman Clint Bond said the Fort Worth Independent School District does not comment on specific employee or student-related issues, but did say that “We are following district policy in our review of the circumstances and any resolution will likewise be in accordance with district policy.”

If Ary continues taking German he’ll have to learn from the same teacher who punished him. His mom is relying on faith that things will work out.

“I want to believe the school will make the right decision. That’s something the school will need to handle,” she said.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Texas

1. I think the school went overboard and the teacher too. If it truly went down like the student said, he was stating his opinion based on his religious beliefs. Even if there was a gay/lesbian student in class and overheard them, it’s not something new and the religion is pretty open about stating their view on homosexuality. He could have easily said he believes capitol punishment is wrong based in his religion and that probably would have been okay. But it’s the same thing, just his opinion.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 10:48am
  2. I’m going to say the same thing I said on my FB, “In my opinion, this is clearly a case of free speech. He is allowed to believe what he wants, and this simple statement was just that, a simple statement. Just because I don’t like what he said, doesn’t make it hate speech or illegal. If he had engaged in derogatory language, or had become malicious with his words and/or actions, then that would be a different issue. I also don’t believe that this violated any anti-discriminatory policies. He simply stated an opinion without engaging in language or behavior that would harm or demean. He should not have been suspended.”

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:01am
  3. by going the other way, I don’t think we want to curb honest free speech, even if it is wrong and we disagree….didn’t sound like the kid was making threats…. be, we weren’t there. who knows….

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:03am
  4. Yeah i agree. He just stated his opinion. I dont agree with him but hes allowed to believe what he wants. He was bullying anyone or anything. That would be a different story.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:03am
  5. Wasnt* lol.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:03am
  6. What happened to freedom of speech?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:06am
  7. I totally support GLBT rights and marriage equality. There may be a fine line, but I believe saying you believe something is wrong is a far cry from “hate speech.”
    Although I disagree with this young man, I think he has the right to say what he said.
    Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:07am
  8. I like freedom of speech and all but my inner child is going “HA HA HA HA HA HA”

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:08am
  9. I don’t agree with what he said but he shouldn’t have gotten suspended. He was just expressing his opinions and not being violent or targeting anyone specifically.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:08am
  10. I don’t agree with him being suspended for voicing his opinion. He’s entitled. His opinion brought harm to no one. I think this is a little extreme. Why isn’t the school system intolerant to the early stages of bullying that goes on everyday when a person physically or verbally abuses another based on their sexual orientation?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:09am
  11. this sort of nonsense sets such a bad precedent. He wasn’t being a bully, he didn’t call anyone a faggot, he wasn’t pushing an agenda, he wasn’t lecturing, he gave his opinion on what he was taught to believe.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:09am
  12. I do believe that the school went a bit overboard, however the statement “a child does not lose their first amendment rights when they walk the the schoolhouse door” is completely false.you simply can’t tell a teacher to “go fuck themselves” the public school system is serriously flawed, I am sure most would agree, but it is also not the place to be preaching one’s opinions.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:10am
  13. I agree with Nicole, he should not have been suspended unless he was bullying someone or creating a situation. He has a right to think that just like we gays have a right to think that you shouldn’t wear white shoes after labor day!

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:10am
  14. There zillions of things that I view as wrong. Doesn’t meant that you have to agree. Stating your opinion or religious beliefs should not be a punishable offense. Were that the case, I think we would ALL be in trouble.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:11am
  15. The gay community dislikes those who use their opinions to oppress the community. We’re all for free thought. More power to opinion. It may be one that LGBTQIQA community, for the majority, disagrees with but one right we all have is free speech. Texas, oh Texas. :/

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:12am
  16. What other

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:14am
  17. What other anti-gay religious attitudes do you anti-gay-bully enablers believe is protected speech that should be permitted despite a school district’s anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies? Do you think that students should be able to say that homosexuals are worthy to death, because that is written in Romans?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:14am
  18. Well said@Ginger. I concur.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:15am
  19. Thank you, idiotic Fort Worth school officials, for giving the even more idiotic Texas populace the incredibly mistaken impression that the LGBTQ community was demanding this boy be punished for voicing his personal opinion, no matter how ignorant we feel it to be. Because we all know that’s what the idiotic Texas populace is going to think; I’ve no doubt that my family will start spewing their hateful stupidity should they ever hear about this.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:15am
  20. Wowsa! And just where is the crime in what this student said? So, he believes homosexuality is wrong and bases that opinion on his religious upbringing. Great. Regardless of what I think about such religious beliefs, he has the right to state such an opinion. It was not directed to anyone, was not said in a derogatory manner and was not used as a means of harassment. A simple statement from the teacher that a German language is not a place for discussion of one’s religious beliefs should have been more than enough. I applaud the teacher for paying attention and wanting to prevent potential harassment, but if the story given by the student is accurate, there was no harassment or attack of any student in the class room.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:17am
  21. I think we should all write the school and the district, letting them know that we think the punishment was wrong. If we don’t stand up for the basic rights of everyone,then how are we any better than those who refuse to give us our rights?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:17am
  22. Scott the point is not to enable his views but to not jump to an overkill response for having a view we don’t agree with. Simply saying he thinks homosexuality is wrong is of no consequence to anyone, so what, he has a poor opinion. I have many poor opinions… Suspending him for having a poor opinion that was not hurting anyone or said in a hateful manner is extreme and out of line. There was an opportunity to educate him, now what this will do will fuel hate and anger and quite the discussions that are important for children to have so they can get past their ignorance and issues with homosexuality.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:20am
  23. There must be more to this story, I mean that honestly. Unless he says they all should die, which from what he said he didn’t, then no he shouldn’t have been suspended. I’m not defending him or what he said at all, people are not going to like us that is just a fact. I think that this will fuel the fire of hate towards us that are actually trying to fight bullying. The radical right will use this as an example I guarantee you of that. But again, I want to hear from the teacher. Maybe he said it out loud and the teacher told him not to say such things because they are offensive and then he continued to do so. Disobeying a teacher’s rules about not wanting to have negative towards another minority deserve some type of detention.If it was only once, alright give him a warning, if not detention. There are two sides to this story!

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:21am
  24. Jay,

Except that a person can’t BE “capital punishment” can they? No one is discriminated against because they ARE “capital punishment”. It’s a policy issue, not an intrinsic characteristic. Likely, at least one kid in that room will grow up to be gay or lesbian … and surely felt threatened, or at least weirded out. Good for the teacher for stopping an incendiary episode in it’s tracks.

A better analogy would be someone saying they believed interracial marriage is wrong based on religious beliefs. How would a statement like that impact mixed race kids? It wouldn’t be tolerated. Schools have a responsibility to provide safe learning environments. Period. Keep this kid’s God out of the PUBLIC schools. It’s German class, not debate.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:22am
  25. @Scott…did you not just state your opinion ? You have that right under the constitution. So does that young man.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:23am
  26. Different religious cause problems…different opinion…make up story cause problems too. Its like confusion to people. That’s what it anger people anywhere in the world. Its crazy.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:24am
  27. well i will stick with the old saying;IF YOU GOT NOTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:26am
  28. He should not have been suspended. While I obviously disagree with him, he is entitled to his own opinion and we do have free speech in America. If him expressing his opinion starts to be done in a harassing manner, than that’s different. It should have been instead used as an opportunity to discuss tolerance.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:26am
  29. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and believe it or not texas is more accepting then most think. This boy should not have been punished like that, wether we agree with his OPINION or not.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:28am
  30. Dumb action on the part of the school authorites. A simple statement does not make a hate crime. If the boy in question was raised in a bigoted faith, then sure he would say things like that.

The bigger issue is whether or not bigoted faiths should be protected by the mantel of freedom of religion? If a faith advocated killing as a reponse to sin, should it be protected?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:29am
  31. And for the record, courts have ruled that kids have LIMITED expectations to free speech and privacy in public schools. Locker searches are allowed, as is drug testing for extra-curricular activities. Let the kid judge gays outside of school hours. It’s harassment otherwise. In many workplace situations, it isn’t appropriate to say what he said. Seems like an adult lesson in consequences.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:32am
  32. His beliefs are his right as is giving his opinions. Schools, more than any other place, should be where ideas are exchanged and discussed freely. It seems to me he was not bewing hateful but just expressing his opinion.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:35am
  33. saying you believe it’s wrong is one thing…beating someone or bullying and/or harassing someone because of their belief…now that’s a reason to be suspended. Thanks Fort Worth for fueling the already burning flame of confusion and anger. This is one of the reasons religious people feel that the LGBT community is trying to take their rights away. *sigh*

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:40am
  34. I actually think this was an appropriate action in a school setting… no more than it would be acceptable to say “I’m a racist and I think integration is wrong” … in a public work/school setting it’s unacceptable … PERIOD.. if you want to have opinions… do it at your home… and his parents should have taught him to be respectful no matter what their beliefs are. Him being Christian does not give him the right to be able to say what he wants when he wants… PERIOD.. and had he said that at a job.. he should and possibly would have been fired. A great lesson in life for him!!

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:43am
  35. Folks, he wasn’t suspended because of what he said. He was suspended because he was disrupting class. His statement had nothing to do with the topic that was being discussed. If the topic had been First Amendment Rights in the US or religious views in the US, that would have been fine. He has a right to those beliefs. However those things were not being discussed. The topic was about religious activities in GERMANY.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:49am
  36. I’m not okay with this. This isn’t going to help anyone involved. Freedom of speech: 0, LGBT movement: -1

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 11:51am
  37. Not that I condone freedom of speech being interfered with, I think I see what the issue really stems from. The increase in the suicide rate due to bullying…..I think it has caused fear with many schools and their administrations. So, although they may have jumped the gun here…..keep in mind they were doing this because of the alarming rise in bullying(not that this kid was bullying), many school systems are perplexed at how to stop this, and many fear lawsuits for inaction to bullying incidents. And because education has been cut drastically, most can’t afford a lawsuit.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:09pm
  38. The Statement he made “I am a Christian, I think being homosexual is wrong.” What does that mean? Not all Christians believe this, there are Gay Christians. If you are not a Christian then you believe the opposite?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:15pm
  39. How can all of you be arguing that it was wrong he got suspended? It’s good that he did. He should keep his ignorant opinions to himself. And that will teach others to do the same. Less homophobia on school ground.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:31pm
  40. Does being Christian mean you are Homophobic?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:33pm
  41. I’m shocked how many morons are commenting on this post. More schools should follow their step and start suspending every homophobe. Things like what he said are the things that hurt the other vulnerable LGBT kids.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:38pm
  42. Regardless of whether or not this kid has free speech (which he does) I think he should still have kept it to himself. A year — almost two — later and kids are still killing themselves because of comments like this

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:39pm
  43. I think we should start contacting the School Board on behalf of this young men. As gays and lesbians, we need to protect everyone’s rights if we want them protect ours. It’s his right to say his beliefs no matter if I agree with them or not.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 12:55pm
  44. he didnt have to be suspended…

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:15pm
  45. Incidents like this just adds fuel to NOMs new tactic of accusing gay-rights advocates of discrimination and intimidation against ‘pro-marriage’ people (like the bigoted, but kind and nice, gay-haters at NOM). NOMs new ‘Marriage Anti-Defamation League’ is highlighting stories about people who are fired or discriminated against for being,”not ANTI-GAY, but PRO-MARRIAGE”.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:19pm
  46. Total BS. The school has no right to suspend him for a casual remark. Plus, what does a 14 year old Christian know about anything? I dare say he’s an ignorant fool, but this was not worthy of a suspension.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:20pm
  47. NOMs newest hang-up is the firing of Frank Turek from BOA. Well, as a member of the LBGT Affinity Group at my company, and knowing that diversity and inclusion is a huge deal for most of corporate America, if I found out a Frank Turek was teaching corporate leadership skills to our executives (who are all required to sponsor one of more ERGs), I would demand that the company fire him (he was a consultant). And that’s what BOA employees did.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:22pm
  48. Now, Turek isn’t a 15 year old kid expressing his opinion in a German class; he has been actively and vehemently speaking out/writing against gay-marriage (and the gay ‘lifestyle’) for years. Any company that values being listed favorably on the HRC equality index, or Diversity Inc. etc. should be gravely concerned if they know they are ‘consulting’ with someone who is so opposed to ANY minority group and their rights.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:26pm
  49. One has to understand, DOMA is costing these companies HUGE amounts of money for providing ‘special’ domestic partner benefits, and with payroll issues related the imputed income penalty incurred by gay-couples because of DOMA. Yet, they can’t be seen to not provide these benefits or to sponsor LBGT ERG groups. It’s not that they are afraid of losing talent and customers, they are afraid of losing B2B. I know for a fact that a huge global accounting company lost billions of dollars in business/contracts because they did not have a D & I initiative/agenda. When they realized that they were losing business because of this, they shelled out millions of dollars to start their D & I initative.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:34pm
  50. Therefore, though this kid was merely stating his opinion, we have to be very careful that NOM and other hate organizations don’t turn the tables on the issue of discrimination. You can still be fired in plenty of states for coming out as gay. And transgendered people have no protections at all. We need to keep the focus on those issues, and on the fact that we don’t and won’t be turned into the hateful and discriminatory bigots in this fight. We’re the ones who are denied 1,100 rights that married heterosexuals enjoy. Teenage suicide rates for gay teens are astronomical, I can’t walk down the street holding my girlfriend’s hand without having to endure comments all the time (‘oh, that’s hot, can I join?’ or ‘That is sick’.)

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 1:43pm
  51. NOM wants to make themselves and other bigots into ‘victims’. We can’t allow them to turn the tables here. Accepting that people have a right, in all and any setting, to their ‘first amendment’ right to express religious bigotry against a vulnerable minority that HAS NO RIGHTS(as parents, couples, to workplace protection, healthcare discrimination) in certain states in the US, is a load of BS. We’re walking down a road here where it will be acceptable for someone to refuse to work with you because they believe your ‘lifestyle’ is against and offensive to their religious views.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:00pm
  52. They will be allowed to state to your face that they think your marriage is wrong and that your ‘lifestyle’ is offensive. Saying passively “I think homosexuality is wrong, it’s a sin and I’m against your lifestyle” is the SAME as saying “I think you should burn in hell for being a homo. And your sexually deviant sick friend (this is referring to your wife of husband) should/will burn in hell too”.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:04pm
  53. he is entitled to his opinion, even if he’s wrong. this is america isn’t it?

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:18pm
  54. In an environment (like a school or a workplace) where the safety, emotional comfort and well-being of all students/workers etc. are supposed to be protected, you don’t have the right to express your “anti” options about any minority group. I would NEVER think that it would be acceptable for me to tell a Christian co-worker that “I’m opposed to you and your religion based on my secular beliefs. I think your religious ‘lifestyle’ is wrong.” A. I don’t hold those kinds of bigoted beliefs, and B. that kind of speech isn’t acceptable in a school/a workplace, period. Once you get outside – go right ahead; scream your bigotry and hatred across the internet or down the street. Stand on a soapbox or in a pulpit. Go ahead – it’s your right.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:20pm
  55. But, I’m f@*king paying taxes for these public schools and my children are NOT going to have to sit and politely tolerate that kind of hate speech while sitting in a German class. That little s@*t can go stand OUTSIDE the school and say anything that comes to his little mind (unless it;s inciting violence or hated), but he and his ilk are NOT ever making my kids, or other kids with gay parents, or gay students or teachers, uncomfortable in the environment that my taxes and your taxes are paying for.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:25pm
  56. I will not stand around and let NOM and people like this kid try to make themselves into victims. It’s like a Nazi saying ‘well, I’m a victim because I don’t feel I can fly my nazi flag on the back of my truck with out fear of losing my job for being an anti-Semite, a racist and a gay hater”. BOO-f@*king-HOO, I say to that!! That proverbial flag is a symbol of hatred, violence, bigotry, and discrimination.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:32pm
  57. You can go to as many anti-gay rallies as you want, you can join the Aryan Brotherhood and attend rallies against gay marriage, you can SAY what you want, but don’t come crying foul and claiming your rights were trampled on or that you were discriminated against because you had to bear the consequences of exercising your right to free speech in a civil setting where all peoples rights should be respected. And your hate speech is imposed on the rights and comfort of the people with whom you are sharing that school space/work space.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:40pm
  58. This is really dumb….. Like really. I couldn’t disagree with the kid more, but he has every right to have idiotic beliefs.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:42pm
  59. Fight back people, fight back hard!! Keep NOMS new tactic ( of trying to make themselves out to be victims) in mind when fighting these bigots. Even AB Dolan was using this ‘victim’ language in the letter he sent to Obama urging him to cease trying to destroy/overturn DOMA. Screw these people. I’m the victim here, my girlfriend is the victim here, the thousands of people who have lost their jobs because they are gay (including 13,000 US service people) are the victims here, denied healthcare because they can’t get on their ‘partners’ insurance plans, denied employment for being transgendered!! We’re the victims of NOM. We’re the victims of their hate campaigns, victims of their pressuring of American politicians to adopt anti-gay legislation, victims of hate-speech from pulpits across the US.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:49pm
  60. I’m a victim. Not this kid, not NOM, not any of these f@*king bigots!!

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:49pm
  61. I would NEVER say “I’m a homosexual, I think being a Christian is wrong”. And neither would most of the people who are part of our community.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 2:52pm
  62. Everyone deserves the right to tell anyone that homosexuality is wrong, and nobody has the right to make anyone live that point of view.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 3:49pm
  63. Wow. What a difference between here and what I found at The New Civil Rights Movement (http://kwick.me/zgMq). Honey vs. vinegar. Don’t you have the same “agenda” here as there? I didn’t realize “you people” could be so reasonable. I’m impressed.

Typical comment there: “So nice that you have a god AND a lawyer from your ‘church’ to defend your hate speech. These people are SERIOUS about their hate and bigotry and don’t want anyone messing with it! Too bad the little guys they hurt don’t have the same kind of defense against this kind of hate. . . .

“Congratulations, Ms. Pope. You would make the Reverend Fred Phelps and his merry gang of followers (family) very proud of you!”

I’m a small-town “boy” and haven’t, as far as I’m aware, been around that many homosexuals on a regular basis in my 70 years — maybe a half-dozen or so, not counting a large group I once made a sales presentation to. The ones I knew more than a smidgen were uniformly high-strung and difficult to get along with. Unfortunately, that probably caused me to form a life-long wrong impression of what it means to be “one of them.”

As for the thirty or so I made my sales presentation to, a couple said to me, “You have a nice voice. Have you ever been in broadcasting?” Is that a standard pick-up line? I’m glad no one pinched my butt — I might have over-reacted to that.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 6:04pm
  64. Omg hard to beleive this realy happens.

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 8:17pm
  65. Good, I think he should be suspended, it’s not different than racism, it’s all discrimination and hate. Can he think these things? Sure, it’s grotesque, but his right, but he still shouldn’t be verbally speaking of them. I fail to see what religion in Germany and not thinking it’s okay to be gay even have to do with anything, he was just voicing his hate in public…

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 8:53pm
  66. wow the school went over bored thats like a gay kid being kicked out of school cuz he things being str8 is wrong freedom of speach should be aloude no matter how wrong sumthings sound

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 12:09am
  67. My first thought is that he’s allowed his right to free speech, but, maybe they’re doing him a favor and teaching him a lesson for his future out in the working world. If he wants to work in any high tech sector, that kind of comment would get him in the HR door, and out the door to the street.

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 8:25am
  68. This is a ridiculous overreaction by the teacher and the school: political correctness run amok. Why can’t kids experience something in between institutional censorship (whether it comes from the left or the right) and acting out on one’s own uncivilly (e.g., taunting & bulling)? It seems no one is confident enough in their views or beliefs to actually engage in reasonable conversation. You would think that at least the schools saw that as their mission to promote it….

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 11:19am
  69. Actually the quote from the article about student free speech is incorrect. It is well established that school students have a limited right to free speech while in school. This is argued based on a nuance that schools take temporary legal guardianship of students when they are in school (transferred from their parents). I don’t really agree with this philosophically, but it is the way it is at this time.

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 1:35pm
  70. I still reserve judgement until I hear the ENTIRE story. It’s not that I don’t believe the young man, but rather there have been many other cases of the religious right crying victim BEFORE the entire story comes out and then it turns out that their version was all wrong.

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 5:11pm
  71. You’re correct about the limited right to free speech — “very” limited could well be correct — however, you’re mistaken about the “nuance.”

That’s essentially the position Justice Thomas took in a concurrence in Morse v. Frederick: “In short, in the earliest public schools, teachers taught, and students listened. Teachers commanded, and students obeyed. Teachers did not rely solely on the power of ideas to persuade; they relied on discipline to maintain order. | Through the legal doctrine of in loco parentis [meaning "in place of the parent"], courts upheld the right of schools to discipline students, to enforce rules, and to maintain order.” (qr.net/e6xx).

The rest of the court came nowhere close to going along with Thomas. Whether the courts would have upheld it or not at the time, that was still the way it was when I went to school. Lucky me.

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 7:30pm
  72. The story was covered by FOX news. We only heard the Dakota’s side of the story. If…and I stress “If”…what he says is the full truth, then Freedom of Speech is a good excuse.

I would wager a guess that this 14 year old boy got himself into some trouble and wanted to put himself in the best light possible. The “I’m a Victim” clause. Since this is Texas, the Innocent get convicted/executed and the Guilty get the press and elected.

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 at 7:00am
  73. then i recommend they teach the parents tolerance cause parents influence kids and kids influence other kids. which sometimes lead to suicide,bullying and murder.

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 1:00pm