Canadian family values group runs transphobic newspaper advertisement

Thursday, September 29, 2011

ONTARIO, Canada — A transphobic advertisement appearing in Canada’s National Post on Thursday is calling on the local leaders of the three national political parties to “stop teachers from confusing” children on issues of gender identity and expression.

The ad revives the “StopCorruptingChildren.com” campaign that launched last year to protest proposed revisions to the physical and health education curriculum that would include more sex education for younger children, reported Xtra!, Canada’s LGBT newspaper.

Under a picture of a young girl, the ad asks “Please don’t confuse me. I’m a girl. Don’t teach me to question if I’m a boy, transexual [sic], transgendered, interesexed, or two spirited [sic].”

The ad, placed by the Institute for Canadian Values — akin to the U.S. anti-gay hate group, Family Research Council — quotes extensively from a Toronto District School Board curriculum resource document called “Challenging Homophobia and Heterosexism,” and implies that the optional lessons are mandatory.

Click to enlarge.

Queer Ontario denounced the ad, calling it “factually incorrect thinly veiled bigotry and ignorance. Incorrectly ‘advertising’ teaching resource guide material as curriculum, it does nothing more than to distort the truth of the situation and further marginalize the lives of queer and Trans persons of Ontario.”

The group has also urged its members online to file complaints with Advertising Standards Canada, the national advertising self-regulating body.

The National Post said it received many complaints about the ad, and it’s manager of advertising sales said he’s not sure how it ended up in the newspaper.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: North America

1. …What the fuck? Nobody is TEACHING children to question themselves. They’re just ACCEPTING it. How is that the same? Fuck people, man.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:31pm
  2. This is so wrong.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:33pm
  3. Confuse the kids? They are more likely to understand and accept it than the wankers who come up with these stupid adds.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:35pm
  4. Stupid people will believe anything they’re told. Intelligent people will question and find out for themselves what they believe in. Stupid people will fall for this bullshit advertisement that doesn’t have a drop of truth in it whatsoever.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:36pm
  5. thats my province. why are you ruining it?

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:40pm
  6. Papers like this slips through and gets published when it shouldn’t be published in Canada. =/

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:44pm
  7. ..and I always thought Canadians were enlightened and cool with diversity. Ooops… my bad! Supposed to visit there this Christmas vacation. Maybe I’m not welcome and should cancel. Hmmmm..

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:06pm
  8. Being trans is the furthest from being confused. We are very uncomfortable without instruction. I was confused for most of my life until I found a word for how I had already felt for many years.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:17pm
  9. This is ridiculous, i live in kitchener ontario and never ever heard of this bs, im deffinitly going to let my councelour know about this. OMFG seriously, I am a Tg/TS Mtf, and think that stupid campaign is messed up on so many levels, and they even used an absolutely adorable picture to do this, its deffinitly run by a hate group, which technically is supposed to be apprehended grr some people are such moronic bigoted idiots with a clear disposition of being the most biggest morons :(

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:29pm
  10. Why don’t groups like this get classified as hate organizations? “protecting family” is just a cheap attempt to get parents to abandon rational thought.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:30pm
  11. The curriculum this group is talking about was never even enacted even though it should have been.

Hah, “Institute for Canadian Values.” Canadian values are NOT the values held by this appalling group.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:34pm
  12. This is ridiculous, i live in kitchener ontario and never ever heard of this bs, im deffinitly going to let my councelour know about this. OMFG seriously, I am a Tg/TS Mtf, and think that stupid campaign is messed up on so many levels, and they even used an absolutely adorable picture to do this, its deffinitly run by a hate group, which technically is supposed to be apprehended grr some people are such moronic bigoted idiots with a clear disposition of being the most biggest morons :(

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:44pm
  13. Yeah, because educating children about transsexualism is totally going to confuse & damage a cisgender kid. Psssh.

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:46pm
  14. this proves that hate needs to go

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 12:11am
  15. This makes me sick! No one “teaches” anyone anything! Ugh! There always has to be an explanation or someone to blame…no one can accept the fact that people are who they are! Not because of something we learned in school or read in a book or saw on TV!

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 12:27am
  16. A bit wrong-headed, I think, when people intimate that this is some negative reflection upon Canada and our supposed “enlightenment;” truth is we have ignorant, stupid, bigoted assholes like eerywhere’s got ignorant, stupid, bigoted assholes. We’re just incrementally better at shaming them into keeping their mouths shut in public, some of the time, because they don’t speak for the sane, decent, sensible majority of people (like in most places).

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 12:59am
  17. Wow…this is just disgusting…

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 1:22am
  18. Makes me nuts. Kids don’t attach bigotry to things like adults (until they learn it from adults). So much less confused about so many things- we could learn a lot from them.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 4:08am
  19. thats such a false ad. someone please get it and ones like it banned.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 5:15am
  20. Wow never even heard of them and I live in Toronto Canada. I don’t think any new sex ed material was ever put in just discussed so I think these guys are a little behind the times! Lol! But I’m sure they’ll scare some of the parents with their bs and that’s their goal I guess. Maybe they’re going to try to spark a queer rights debate up here again but good luck I say!!

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 6:23am
  21. These “Family Values Groups” took up residence in prime locations as ardent ‘lobbyists’ when The Harper Government first won a Minority Governmet. They brag about having immediate access to The Prime Minister’s attention. UGHHHH.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:09am
  22. I believe kids get confused. YES, if you are not HONEST they will. It’s proven that when you are HONEST to kids they start becoming more understanding, and trust me THEY ARE SMAR, THEY WILL UNDERSTAND. I remember asking my mom if her best friend was gay, I was only in 3rd grade. And she told me “yes” and she proceeded to explain to me what it was, although, I already knew. My father wasn’t too happy but I THANK GOD for that conversation I had with my mom, in the car, after getting out of school. After that I learned how to be tolerant, how to respect, how to see people for who they trully are. By hiding the fact that a family member is trans, or gay THATS when you, as a parent, confuse them. By saying “say hi to your uncle” when you are clearly seeing a transgender, dressed as a woman (if “he” feels as a woman, treat HER as one) When you say “say hi to your aunt’s friend” when you clearly know that they have been partners for years …THATS WHEN YOU CONFUSE KIDS

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:20am
  23. I believe kids get confused. YES, if you are not HONEST they will. It’s proven that when you are HONEST to kids they start becoming more understanding, and trust me THEY ARE SMAR, THEY WILL UNDERSTAND. I remember asking my mom if her best f…riend was gay, I was only in 3rd grade. And she told me “yes” and she proceeded to explain to me what it was, although, I already knew. My father wasn’t too happy but I THANK GOD for that conversation I had with my mom, in the car, after getting out of school. After that I learned how to be tolerant, how to respect, how to see people for who they trully are. By hiding the fact that a family member is trans, or gay THATS when you, as a parent, confuse them. By saying “say hi to your uncle” when you are clearly seeing a transgender, dressed as a woman (if “he” feels as a woman, treat HER as one) When you say “say hi to your aunt’s friend” when you clearly know that they have been partners for years …THATS WHEN YOU CONFUSE KIDS!

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:26am
  24. “Please, don’t confuse me.” I guess that means taking math out of schools.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:48am
  25. TDSB did just release new curriculum guides, so it stands to reason this group just got around to reading them. They’re public record if you want to check them out at the public library! I’m pretty sure they aren’t sending grade 3s to the Pride parade, but they may introduce those resources in high school. (I haven’t read the documents myself, only second hand knowledge from my partner who is becoming a teacher).

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:55am
  26. @ Jordan Novoa totally posting that first part “Stupid people will believe anything they’re told. Intelligent people will question and find out for themselves what they believe in.” Spreading that message!

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 9:09am
  27. People are ridiculous

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 9:14am
  28. Oh no, we wouldn’t want to “confuse” people by actually giving them information. All that extra knowledge just hurts their poor little heads. I thought Canada was better than this.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 11:52am
  29. well thats just downright ignorant. “if we dont tell them about it it wont happen” right, they’ll just grow up hating themselves and maybe commit suicide, AND THATS MUCH BETTER >:(

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 12:02pm
  30. It’s amazing how twisted some people are and how utterly sick they are. I’m a Canadian and I don’t share the same values as the supposed Canadian Values people. The GLBT community is the best community. It’s only narrow minded individuals who haven’t put a single thought to what they’ve been taught years ago or even had a thought to begin with, that is ruining this great country of ours and scaring everyone back into their closet. There isn’t a hate campaign against the hetero community. Wake up to the 21st century.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 1:45pm
  31. Alas, all countries are prone to idiots. Canada is not an exception.

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 2:24pm
  32. People feel so threatened by the fact that their kids are learning that there are different people out there. It’s teaching tolerance and avoiding ignorant hate. This doesn’t mean they’ll accept it, but they’ll be informed. LGBT issues shouldn’t be a hushed thing. We teach that there are different religious Groups, different races, different cultures, etc.. Knowledge doesnt “confuse” children. Sheltering kids from reality and feeding them hate instead of facts, and keeping them from making their own choices “confuses” them.

Posted on Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 5:52am