Gay activist calls for boycott of retailers supporting Christian Values Network

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

San Francisco based gay activist and blogger Roy Steele is organizing, and calling for a nationwide boycott of retailers enrolled in the Christian Values Network (CVN) shopping web portal, including Sears, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Target.

Roy Steele

The CVN participating retailers donate a portion of each sale made via the website, to non-profit religious groups, including the Family Research Council, and Focus on the Family. The former of these organizations has been labelled a “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

“As a gay Christian man, it offends me that these retail stores are donating money to organizations that promote hatred toward the LGBT community,” Steele said.

“The Family Research Council, and Focus on the Family, have a long history of spreading lies and misinformation about the LGBT community, and the effectiveness of reparative therapy, or ‘pray away the gay.’ Their behavior is anything but Christian. If these retail organizations are going to support the hate groups financially, it is incumbent upon our community, and our allies, to organize and rise up against hate.”

Through the blog “Tie-dyed Jive in the (415)” Steele is coordinating efforts to call, email, fax and write the retail stores. He is also coordinating Labor Day picket lines and protests for brick and mortar locations of retail organizations that do not remove themselves from the CVN network.

“The LGBT community, and the American people, are tired of the hate filled rhetoric that groups like FRC, and Focus on the Family, continue to preach in the name of Christianity,” Steele noted.

The boycott begins immediately, and follows a successful campaign by Bellingham, Wash., student Ben Crowther, to convince Apple to sever ties with CVN.

In addition, Microsoft, Macy’s Wells Fargo, Delta Airlines, and BBC America have ended their relationship with CVN after they became aware of the relationship between the web portal and the hate groups.

“It is time for the other retailers to do the same,” said Steele.

Partial list of Steele’s boycott targets.

A complete list of boycott targets can be found on the website “Tie-dyed Jive in the (415).”

Steele’s boycott also names Home Depot, which coincidentally is the target of another boycott, this one by the American Family Association, because it says the home improvement retailer continues to “promote the homosexual agenda.”

The AFA, also a certified “hate group” according to the SPLC, points to The Home Depot’s website, which supports the diversity-oriented organization “Out and Equal Workplace Advocates,” an LGBT advocacy group that supports workplace diversity, marriage equality, and activities such as Transgender Remembrance Day. The Home Depot also supports the Human Rights Campaign.

Established in 2011, the blog “Tie-died Jive in the (415)” is focused on promoting equal rights and marriage equality, and ending discrimination and hateful rhetoric by religious leaders, and politicians.

Archives: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. apostrophe fail in that article. Ii like the idea but I don’t know if people are actually gonna do it

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:13pm
  2. really this is getting old, if we want our rights respected we have to repect the rights of others. This is just stupid and silly and somewhat childish.

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:14pm
  3. Perhaps in San Francisco there are other stores to shop in that these?

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:14pm
  4. I wouldn’t have any other place to shop. :/

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:17pm
  5. “…including Sears, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Target.” Those stores are SO not classy. Do gays shop there anyway? I know I don’t…

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:23pm
  6. focus on the family is a sham. it’s for that reason alone, I won’t ever shop at the stores again.

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:35pm
  7. I love my local shop, they have whatever I need. St. john’s IGA for the win!

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:36pm
  8. Only shop at Wallyworld for household supplies, etc.

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:44pm
  9. I wish I could boycott those stores, but Sears, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Target are the only stores in my town to choose from. And unfortunately, that is what it is like the Midwest where I live.

I always notice that there are Christian sections in Walmart and Target and it irritates me. If they have a Christian section, they should have literature for every religion.

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:45pm
  10. Sorry, I meant ‘that is what it is like in the Midwest, where I live.’

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:46pm
  11. DONE. I WILL NOT BUY FROM SEARS, WALMART OR TARGET ANY LONGER.

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:58pm
  12. not giving up any of those stores … and stop bitching people … get over it !

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 7:07pm
  13. I will give up these stores because they support HATE!!

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 7:47pm
  14. We dnt have those stores here in england woohoo

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 7:52pm
  15. Are Christian groups really Hate groups b/c they don’t believe in the LGBT community? The bible speaks against homosexuality.. so wouldn’t the LGBT community understand that they will not agree? why are they now hate groups?

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 8:35pm
  16. Brooks…something you should realize….the context in which the bible was written is important to take into consideration because around those same verses (which were meant to promote procreation) are other verses stating a ton of other ridiculous things that are an ABOMINATION (in case you don’t know the meaning of such a scary word as abomination, it simply means different!) So other activities that are named as ABOMINATIONS in the OLD TESTAMENT are: cutting the hair on the sides of one’s head, cutting the tips of one’s beard, eating shellfish, a woman who is menstruating should sit in a creek til it’s over, lying, any act not done in the name of god, having pride, violence, having sex with a menstruating woman, robbery, murder, cheating in business or money exchanges, superstitious relics, eating sacrificed meat on the 3rd day rather than burning it………..See, there are MANY, MANY ways in which the bible classifies everyday actions as “abominations” MOST OF WHICH WE NO LONGER EVEN LIVE BY OR THINK TWICE ABOUT…except FOR THE ONE INTERPRETED TO CONDEMN GAYS. Now, we can’t pick and choose what parts of the bible by which to live! It is my understanding that it was said by God that Christians are not to live by the OLD TESTAMENT. So, why are we using verses from it as weapons with which to tell people how we think they should live???????????????????????????

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 8:02am
  17. P.S. Not everyone in America is a Christian…so trying to force people to live by Christian “values” and laws is not fair nor will it ever work! I’m sure Christians wouldn’t appreciate being forced to live by Muslim laws…

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 8:07am
  18. Jorge, my wife and I ARE gay, and we DO shop at Target, because they have a wide variety and we get our paper towels, etc there for the good prices. Walmart, I’m not crazy about, but having been unemployed since November I’ve not much of a choice.

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 11:15am
  19. Stupid, silly and childish? Get over it? That’s what Germans said as Hitler began rounding up Jews.

The Family Research Council, Summit Ministries, Abiding Truth Ministries, and the Liberty Counsel, have been identified as an anti-gay “hate groups” according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Focus on the Family is an anti-gay group that is very well funded, and spread lies and misinformation about the LGBT community. CVN is supporting these groups, and those who shop at the stores supports CVN with cash!

To those who detract from what I am personally working hard to achieve, you have a right to your opinion, however misguided it may be. I believe we must stand up against hate directed toward our community. If CVN was willing to sever ties with the 5 anti-gay groups – I would end the boycott immediately, but they will not do that. Stephen Baldwin and Michael Lohan have threatened us with lawsuits, and I will not back down.

To anyone who says get over it, look within yourself and ask yourself where internalized homophobia comes from.

To the people who have voiced your support – thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 12:15pm
  20. @Tami you are right, not only that but abominations could also mean to be tacky, like wearing stripes with spots.
    @Brooks you need to understand the Bible has always been used to fuel a propaganda that in today’s standards is unreasonable and plain foolish. It is part of history, and it is still used even today. Because of this many people view Christians as negative beings, which I am ashamed since I am a Christian. Although I refer to myself as a follower of Jesus Christ.

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 6:24pm
  21. I’m a Christian and these anti-gay groups, and hate groups, appear on television all the time. They often preach to thousands, send out newsletters, etc and there are parents, and kids, who believe what these groups say. There are documented cases of people being driven to suicide by these groups. There are cases where people pay thousands of dollars to enroll in their reparative therapy program, or the pray away the gay, and it messes up their head and destroys their self esteem – when there was nothing wrong with them to begin with. There is nothing to repair! Some parents throw their gay kids out on the street, which is why 1 out of 4 gay teens is homeless. God loves everyone equally in my view. We are all human beings, and should be treated with love and respect – not with scorn, and ridicule, regardless of your religious teaching.

I experienced some of this crap growing up, and it messed me up. If I can get these companies that love our gay dollar, to stop supporting hate and lies and misinformation, I’m hoping that these groups will lose a little clout. Even if they don’t, if the majority of retailers pull the stores from CVN, they are sending a message that diversity and tolerance is more important than supporting the mission of the Christian Values Network.

Posted on Friday, August 5, 2011 at 7:34am
  22. I don’t shop there anyway

Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 11:42am
  23. some times given location you have no choice. having grown up in central ga, the ability to boycott some of these stores is void due to the fact that they have forced other businesses out.

Posted on Monday, August 8, 2011 at 6:36am
  24. why would you say your “lifestyle ” is not unhealthy? Licking lots of different private parts, and ingesting human feces (from different people) can not be anything but harmful,,, if I were to eat dog feces people would say I was a very sick person,,, but if sodomites do it,then it is O.K.?

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 at 11:59am
  25. I don’t know where you are getting your information but, Target is very supportive, both internally of their GLBT employees and in the community. A company that large is bound to have situations happen that seem to put them in a bad light, but one should encourage good behavior.

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 11:20am
  26. The REAL issue here is that people in the LGBT community still attend these churches. They tithe a % of their paychecks to these religions, knowing full well that it will be used to promote hatred. Why are LGBT people so desperate to fit in with a group of people that clearly hate them? It must take a lot of self-loathing to give their hard-earned money to churches.

Gays that give money to churches and mosques are the world’s biggest idiots. Why not give that money to an LGBT charity instead?

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 8:59pm