Tracy Morgan issues apology after homophobic rant during Nashville show

Friday, June 10, 2011

So now that Tracy Morgan’s people have issued an apology, what now?

Tracy Morgan

In case you’re catching up, audience member Kevin Rogers reported that a lengthy homophobic rant was part of comedian Tracy Morgan’s routine during a performance last week at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tenn.

You can read Rogers’s account of the incident all over the internet — but here are some of Morgan’s more disturbing remarks:

“He took time to visit the bullshit of this bullying stuff and informed us that the gays needed to quit being pussies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying. He mentioned that gay was something kids learn from the media and programming, and that bullied kids should just bust some ass and beat those other little fuckers that bully them, not whine about it.

“He said if his son that was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death.

“Tracy then said he didn’t fucking care if he pissed off some gays, because if they can take a fucking dick up their ass… they can take a fucking joke.”

Morgan’s management issued this statement Friday morning:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay and lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

So that’s where things are now. Morgan’s right to admit that violence against LGBT young people is not funny in any context. Now he needs to understand why.

That’s why GLAAD has offered to arrange a meeting between Morgan and a family whose LGBT son or daughter has been the victim of severe violence because of his or her sexual orientation or gender identity. GLAAD has also offered to arrange a meeting between Morgan and LGBT young people who have been hurt by parental rejection.

Tracy Morgan now has the opportunity to meet people who have been impacted by LGBT violence face-to-face, to hear their stories, and to understand exactly why his rant touched so deep a nerve.

Read more at GLAADblog.org.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. I don’t fully believe that he’s sorry for what he said. I think he believes in what he said that night in Tennessee and he is only sorry because he wants to keep his ratings up.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:18pm
  2. Not good enough, d-bag.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:18pm
  3. His words are unforgivable

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:18pm
  4. Who’s Tracy Morgan?

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:18pm
  5. apology not accepted

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:18pm
  6. We can forgive, but we won’t forget!

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:19pm
  7. He should donate to the cause. In the grand scheme of apology vs. asking for forgiveness (which he didn’t do)… he should donate a few million dollars. I won’t forgive him or anything but at least he donated money. Lol

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:20pm
  8. Tina Fey should fire his ass!! Then see who else hires him?

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:21pm
  9. I have never liked the SOB. I don’t believe his apology was sincere. I don’t believe a word that comes out of his friggin’ mouth.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:22pm
  10. Now I would be sure of the fact that if a white comedian made a black joke, he wouldn’t be very happy. A big F-U to all the bigots out there.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:23pm
  11. NO! Apology? How about apologizing to your sons for threatening to stab them to death? How about that? Why isn’t this jerk in jail? He is a danger to the homosexual public, obviously.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:23pm
  12. Way to live up to your potential, Tracy Morgan! Making Martin Luther King proud!

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:23pm
  13. now he says “..this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.” but obviously he thought he was being funny or he wouldn’t have said such disgusting crap at his show. it’s inexcusable and unforgivable.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:24pm
  14. It’s hard for me…I like dark humor if it’s meant to be ironic (Sarah Silverman) or cathartic (Lisa Lampanelli)…and I didn’t hear this in context. But too many kids have come out to their parents and experienced rejection, even violence. This *seems*, anecdotally, to be beyond the kind of humor I personally enjoy. I suspect I would have walked out had I been there. But of course I cannot be certain.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:25pm
  15. Real comedians are funny, for what that do say and the humor they see in life… Talentless idiots think that if the blame shame and swear they are funny… Mmm no tracey (ooo a girls name!!) you are not a talent nor a star or worth anything thing more from me…

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:27pm
  16. He’s not sorry at all. I’m sick and tired of all these bigots/racist/homphobes apologize when they spean THEIR minds. It is what they believe and it is what they often preach in their privacy. These stupid fucker need to realize that thanks to a lot of people, he can go around in places like Lousiana to give his crappy stand up comedy. I sure hope that this gets a LOT of mainstream attention. He’s not sorry for what he said, he’s sorry that it went viral. Stupid ass. Children, teenagers are hearing this crap all day and night. Damn it.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:28pm
  17. That is so 1980′s a la Eddie Murphy. Homophobia is so dated.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:34pm
  18. Oh yeah, because it’s all for comedy, right? No, it’s not, and you shouldn’t disrespect people for some laughs. If you do, you are rude and a horrible loser overall. “His people”–why can’t he just apologize, instead of his, basically, bitches? If you are truly “sorry” then you shouldn’t have other people say sorry for you.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:35pm
  19. Tracy Morgan has proven to everyone that he is an unintelligent, uncaring, untalented individual. To say something like that, with all those cuss words, just prove to everyone that people will do anything for a laugh. That should have get him fired on the spot, and he shouldn’t have gotten his “management” to “apologize” for him. He should have maned up and did it himself. He talks about gays being wimps? Why doesn’t he face all the people he angered, upset, and hurt? Then who is the wimp, as he says?

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:42pm
  20. Does he understand that people are dying? kids, teenagers, and adults??? Unbelievable… smh

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:42pm
  21. It was a forced apology! The only thing he’s sorry for is getting called out. Fire his ass Tina!

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:46pm
  22. he’s sooooo UGLY annoying!. nope, i’m not going to accept his apology!. tina better get his EMMY award back!. don’t forget tina fey was bullied by some mean ppl in her past life. tracy should know better. BTW tracy is a girl’s name, i bet people in his past life, “hey girl cuz tracy’s a girl’s name”.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:51pm
  23. I choose to not try to read his mind. I like him in 30 Rock. I do think he can be forgiven. Those who choose not to are making that choice. Peace.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:51pm
  24. LOL fuck you tracy morgan.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:58pm
  25. Contempt is the only emotion I feel for Mr. Morgan. I fear for his son and any other children he might spawn. He is neither funny nor important anymore. Tina Fey should dismiss him and either replace his character or write him out completely. If a white comic told jokes about black people last night, you can just bet he’d be all over the media telling us how awful s/he was for making light of race. Black kids who are gay are in greater danger of rejection by parents. Prop 8 voters 55% of whites voted no, 87% of blacks voted yes. Think about it….

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:59pm
  26. Such a bummer because earlier that week someone asked me “Do you like Tracy Morgan? Do you think he’s funny?” right before he did this and I had said, “Hell yeah, he cracks me the fuck up!” Well I have one thing to say to Mr. Morgan: “Suck a cock, good sir.”

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 7:07pm
  27. Would he have ever thought twice about his behavior if he weren’t caught in the act? I doubt it. I don’t believe he is sincere at all. He can shove his apology up his homophobic, misogynistic ass. I will never watch his comedy or any show he is in again.

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 6:31am
  28. i’ve NEVER thought he was funny, and this just proves it.

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 2:28pm