‘Out in America’ documentary showcases everyday LGBT Americans

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

“Out in America,” a one-hour documentary showcasing LGBT Americans in their everyday lives, premieres nationally on PBS on Wednesday:

“Out In America” will deliver a compelling, multi-layered portrait of LGBT Americans through their own words and experiences. The film will connect the common themes running through numerous personal stories about growing up, coming out, nurturing relationships, overcoming social and familial challenges, fighting discrimination and HIV, and achieving individual status and respect in America.

Here’s a preview:

The film, written and produced by Andrew Goldberg, airs at 8 p.m. Wednesday on most PBS stations. (Check local listings.)

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. Wat cable station?

Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 3:33pm
  2. @ Joi – PBS.. It’s usually in the single digit channels :D

Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 3:44pm
  3. They aren’t showing it here in the Cleveland area. Instead, they are showing “God in America.” Sometimes, I’m ashamed to be an Ohioan.

Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 4:14pm
  4. They’re showing it tomorrow night around 9pm (CT) here in IL.

Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 5:05pm
  5. They are not showing it at all in the month of June in Hampton Roads, VA. I sent a letter to PBS questioning their decision. *sigh* More bigotry. And from a supposedly progressive source. I suppose I’ll re-evaluate my PBS contributions in the future.

Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 5:27am
  6. They did not show it on the supposedly progressive UNC-TV (Chapel Hill, NC) affiliate last night and I wrote to the station this morning. Their response was that it is a “pledge drive program” and not scheduled to air anytime in the near future and to check back in September (oh, and my request has been noted). Perhaps a LOT more requests need to be noted? viewer at unctv dot org if you’d like to voice your opinion. NC’s newly republican-controlled legislature has put forth an extremely detrimental anti-lgbt bill (super DOMA) that would prevent domestic partner registries and even limit a private employer’s ability to hire/provide health insurance for lgbt employees. This would be a great time to air this documentary so the on-the-fence North Carolinians can see that we live everyday lives.

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 7:10am
  7. I live in Cleveland too. I was wondering whether we would get a chance to see it and I am so disappointed that it won’t be shown.

Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 at 5:56am
  8. I watched it twice here in the Greater Los Angeles area. Excellent. And I’m appalled that some stations throughout this country would NOT air it.

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 9:57am
  9. The reason for *some* PBS stations not showing the doc in June is because it’s only available as a “pledge” program, and not every PBS station did a pledge drive in June. It is airing in August on AETN, the PBS affiliate in arkansas! If it airing on your PBS station, PLEASE support them by making even a small contribution!

Posted on Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 9:39am
  10. They aired in once in Anchorage as part of their pledge program… I emailed… they have no plans to show it again.. too bad I missed it.. why did they even bother making the film

Posted on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 12:52am
  11. So is it gone for good? Is there anywhere I can watch it online?

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 11:23pm