Views & Voices

Michele Bachmann’s therapist husband: gays are ‘barbarians’ who need to be ‘educated, disciplined’

Thursday, June 30, 2011

I think I may have just discovered why Michele Bachmann has such unnatural hatred and anger for gay men.

The following audio clip is from Michelle Bachmann’s therapist husband, Marcus Bachmann. Don’t just read the quote — listen to the audio with your best gaydar on. Then tell me, do you hear what I hear?

“We have to understand: barbarians [gays] need to be educated. They need to be disciplined. Just because someone feels it or thinks it doesn’t mean that we are supposed to go down that road. That’s what is called the sinful nature. We have a responsibility as parents and as authority figures not to encourage such thoughts and feelings from moving into the action steps.

“And let’s face it: what is our culture, what is our public education system doing today? They are giving full, wide-open doors to children, not only giving encouragement to think it but to encourage action steps. That’s why when we understand what truly is the percentage of homosexuals in this country, it is small. But by these open doors, I can see and we are experiencing, that it is starting to increase.”

Not to perpetuate gay stereotypes, but it sounds to me like Marcus would make a fine First Lady of the United States if nothing else.

On a more serious note than Mr. Bachmann’s flamer tendencies, it turns out that this therapist apparently eschews the dangerous practice of ‘repairative therapy.’ Here’s a description from a session he hosted at a pastor’s summit in 2005:

Marcus and Michele Bachmann

Curt Prins, a 35-year-old marketing executive from Minneapolis, attended. Prins, who is gay, says he went because he was “curious” and wanted to “understand the language” of the antigay movement.

“There was so much bile, I nearly had to leave,” Prins recalls. For Marcus Bachmann’s session, Prins says there were more than 100 people crammed in a room at Grace, and most of the presentation involved stereotypes of gays. “He was saying how homosexuality was a choice, that it was not genetics,” Prins says. “He was claiming there was a high predominance of sexual abuse in the GLBT community. There was no research to back any of this up.” (Marcus Bachmann refused to answer questions about the seminar.)

The climax of the presentation was when, according to Prins, Bachmann brought up “three ex-gays, like part of a PowerPoint presentation.” The trio, two white men and a black woman, all testified that they had renounced their homosexuality. “One of them said, ‘If I was born gay, then I’ll have to be born again,’” Prins recalls. “The crowd went crazy.”

“Listening to him,” Prins surmises, “it becomes clear that he’s had a huge impact on her. He might be the spearhead of this whole religious/gay issue.”

Compounding that, the Huffington Post this week put out an article alleging that Michele Bachmann had been using government funds to fund her husband’s clinic:

The previously unreported payments are on top of the $24,000 in federal and state funds that Bachmann & Associates, the clinic founded by Marcus Bachmann, a clinical therapist, received in recent years under a state grant to train its employees, state records show. The figures were provided to NBC News in response to a Freedom of Information request.

[snip]

Michele Bachmann lists the Lake Elmo, Minn.-based clinic — which aims to provide “quality Christian counseling in a sensitive, loving environment,” according to its website — as one of her assets on her financial disclosure forms.

That begs the question — how much tax money has been spent to attempt to ‘lovingly eradicate’ homosexuality and ‘educate’ these ‘barbarians?’ Presidential candidate Bachmann has a lot of answering to do. Will the media hold her feet to the fire?

South Carolina

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , , , , , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. Woooooooomp wooooomp. psycho talk.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:55am
  2. AWWH HELL NAH, GURL, I’MMA TAKE OF MY EARRINGS. WE GONNA FIGHT.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:55am
  3. Michelle Bachmann can kiss my white a**!! She is why im moving to Minnesota!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:56am
  4. Did he go to a fake college, too?

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:56am
  5. ha ha hes a therapist more like a asshole!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:57am
  6. Those who support repairative therapy have been proven to be gay. Period.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:57am
  7. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:58am
  8. He will probably get caught in some public restroom scandal. Wait for it.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:59am
  9. He is an ignorant fool. Barbarians eh? I bet he doesn’t remember that this wasn’t originally his nation. He needs to have his First Amendment taken away until he can learn to say nice things again.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:59am
  10. Sounds like another self hating closeted gay man. That’s what my finely tuned gaydar tells me.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:00am
  11. ‘smacks forehead’ oh geez, this types of guys are what give therapists a bad name.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:01am
  12. I get the impression “barbarians” is an umbrella term that looks or thinks differently than the two people in this pic. Which includes just about anybody I care to spend time with.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:01am
  13. According to my dictionary, a barbarian is a person who is “without culture, refinement, or education”. Although, the root word was originally used by the Greeks and Romans simply to refer to a foreigner. Personally, I think this guy needs a wake-up call, because I hear Narnia calling =P He just sounds like every other in-denial homophobe I’ve heard (as opposed to straight homophobes). The insecurity in his voice is very noticeable.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:03am
  14. Marcus, Marcus, Marcus….maybe a little more bran in the morning. Jes sayin.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:03am
  15. @Kitty, exactly. A barbarian is a person without culture, refinement or education. Seems like Bachmann, her husband and all their alikes fit into that word’s definition. That twat makes projection.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:07am
  16. He’s probably one of those quack therapists.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:11am
  17. @Andy and he probably received his degree from a christian university, just like Kent Hovind.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:15am
  18. This man is absolutely disgusting, but it’s not far off from the hateful talk I heard in church during my childhood, which is why I didn’t understand homosexuality until I was a little older and better able to think for myself. I commend all the youth that know homosexuality isn’t a “sinful choice” and stand with their LGBT friends to demand equal treatment.
    The thought that Michelle Bachmann could be elected president of the United States terrifies me. I hope Americans aren’t that damn ignorant.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:16am
  19. This is insane. homosexuality is not a choice, because if it were, heterosexuals could one day just say, “Hey I want to be gay.” that is a choice. Homosexuality sounds so medical & impersonal, as a nurse I know the medical side of the argument, but it doesn’t mean I agree with it. When you have a feeling, you have chemicals that rush through your brain, but I don’t think about how chemicals make me love my girlfriend. It is love, just like Mrs. Michele loves her stereotyped flaming husband. She doesn’t have my vote, because I am not going to vote to my own desimation. You won’t wipe out the GLBT community & i’m sorry to burst your bubble but it isn’t going to be swept back under the rug. It has taken us this long to finally get comfortable coming out, & being vocal & proud of ourselves, and thanks to the assholes that are telling people they have to be straight or God will punish them, the young people today who are gay are terrified out of their minds to come out, & may be desinted to be miserable in a heterosexual relationship that they feel they must have, to keep themselves from sin. Do not misunderstand me, there are plenty of gays that are just not comfortable with being ‘out of the closet’ but the ones that want out, are being shoved in, & it is cruel.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:21am
  20. He needs to get laid and get off our nuts cus I was fine til I saw dis. Dumb bitch!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:28am
  21. Bachman is a fluffy fembot. He’s a closet queen, should be an interesting campaign season! Can’t wait to watch them unravel! Its looking good for obama!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:32am
  22. she probably does him with a strap on

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:33am
  23. Not everyone who goes to Christian based schools are as ignorant as him, please don’t paint us all with the same brush Martin :)

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:33am
  24. I’m sorry…who is this bitch, and why should I care? Is this another Ann Coulter? Sweep her (and the husband) under the rug, just like the last one …

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:36am
  25. There’s a very strong difference between christian based schools and christian universities, Brianna. While most christian based schools are mostly biased in their indoctrination and their religion courses, Christian universities have their very own biased agendas where religious nonsenses find their ways into science cursus, and pretend to have found proofs of every fiction they advance.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:41am
  26. The louder you Bach(mann) the farther in the closet you are! Hahahaha

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:42am
  27. Sorry, but education and fairytales don’t fit well together and doesn’t make one credible, unless one is studying Literature.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:43am
  28. HEY SOME ONE SLAP THAT BITCH BACK TO BEING HUMAN !!! And that fool of hers he must be a closet case !!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:48am
  29. Oh, one of those. Yikes!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:56am
  30. Fuck all of those glbtq haters. I’m a 23 year old crossdresser. So what if I like men? It shouldn’t bother them for what I like so all of them can mind their own business. Their freedom of speach can kiss my pantied ass!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:04am
  31. just because you have an opinion doesen’t make you an expert in your field. sigmund fraud is a perfect example. Mr. bachmann, sit down and shut up.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:11am
  32. You don’t need the best gay-dar to hear ‘rainbow bright’ spew self loathing nonsense…too funny, thankfully the Mrs. won’t get far enough nationally to take her own personal plight to the masses officially. You have to feel badly in a way for people who are so lost-as long as they don’t set policy.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 2:27pm
  33. I thought therapists would lose their jobs if they used “reparative therapy”… or was that something else. Either way, jerk!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 3:35pm
  34. Since he wants to discipline gays, he probably has fantasies of being a leather daddy top

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 4:21pm
  35. Yes, they are conversion therapists (their term not mine). It needs to become common knowledge they are religious nutjobs.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:40pm
  36. it seems like he’s the one that needs to be educated -.-”

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:40pm
  37. IF he is a licensed therapist, supporting “reparative therapy” (aka brainwashing) is in violation of every mental health code of ethics written (APA, ACA, NASW etc)

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:43pm
  38. sommmonnne’s in the closet… and craving a spanking! You’ve been a naughty, naughty bear, Mr. Bachmann.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:43pm
  39. Wow. I’m so glad I was given such an open mind by my parents. I can understand why a man such as Mr. Bachmann can be so very wrong about so many people. I am not a barbarian; I am an intelligent young woman, and my sexuality has nothing to do with that.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:44pm
  40. Dey r da 1s dat need help

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:44pm
  41. No, you!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:44pm
  42. You tell ‘im, Molly!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:45pm
  43. Based on the past, I’d say there’s a great chance he’ll get caught having gay sex within the next few years.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:46pm
  44. If he’s cute he can spank me!!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:46pm
  45. Oh my god. :O

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:47pm
  46. This asshole could actually use some education and discipline. Stupid old goat. -_-

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:47pm
  47. Where do folks come up with this stuff? You really can’t make this up!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:48pm
  48. And if Mr. Bachmann is indeed in the closet, then it is men like him who put him there. Fear, ignorance, and an improper upbringing are very dangerous weapons when you’re young and looking for answers. If he is in the closet, he has my sympathy.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:49pm
  49. Like I said elsewhere, I’m not into the whole bdsm scene but there are plenty of other gay people out there who will be glad to accomodate him with that discipline fetish of his.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:50pm
  50. How completely ignorant!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:53pm
  51. Im educated dumbass and Im gay shocker -_-

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:54pm
  52. No real man of religion or tolerance would make such accusations.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:54pm
  53. Im a well educated one… and I believe you should study your capacity of your tolerance…

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:57pm
  54. A licensed therapist don’t judge someone for who they want to fall in love with. They are supposed to respect you for you and not try to change you. This man is ignornant to the upteenth power talking about gays being barbarians. People like to talk about the Bible but the Bible does say love your neighbors as well as your enemies. God doesn’t like ugly and He is the only one that can judge. We just have our opinions and that’s it.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:59pm
  55. im glad WE “barbarians” have enough sense realize how ignorant this man is. Who gave him his degree?

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:00pm
  56. Sounds like somebody needs to be sanctioned/censured by whatever licensing entity has oversight. Disciplined? By whom, big boy? You? I believe that I’d like to see you try.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:00pm
  57. Is he for REAL
    And she wants to be President, not likely

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:03pm
  58. DOUCHE ALERT!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:06pm
  59. A therapist!? How has he not lost his license? This is so damaging. He has it to be violating ethical codes!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:15pm
  60. As Lacan writes, “full speech is defined by the fact that it is identical to what it speaks about. does she use a whip for discipline when she ‘educates’ him?

poor sick souls… one would be justified in feeling sorry for them if it weren’t for all the harm they do

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 7:30pm
  61. Maybe he should be more concerned about teaching children the importance of a healthy life and start losing some of that weight. My god, he has more chins than Mt Rushmore.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 5:59am
  62. OK, I just looked up this guy. Here’s his website: http://www.bachmanncounseling.com/therapists/marcus-bachmann/ (note the “Christ is the Almighty Counselor” quote), and here are the wikipedia articles on the two schools he cites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent_University and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Institute . What’s really interesting here is that Regent University was founded by Pat Robertson in 1978, and Union Graduate School went bankrupt in 1978. I think someone needs to publicize these discrepancies, and figure out when this guy received these two degrees he is claiming…

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 5:59am
  63. OMG, Couldn’t he be more gay???? The ignorance that comes out of their mouths makes my stomach churn. Can people really be this stupid? This is far beyond ignorance! I’d like to hear what they have to say, about the bullying and the suicides among young gays. I’m sure their response will be just as stupid as this one!

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 8:00am
  64. These people have proven over and over and over in this country that those who focus so much on our anuses and condemn us using their book of myths as a guide, are themselves closeted gay men. He is as gay as a three dollar bill.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 4:16pm
  65. On the contrary. It takes the truly religious to commit atrocities and to be totally non-compassionate. Look at the fundamentalists in this country. They have the most hatred, can condemn others at the drop of a hat, and will be extremely happy to kill you.

Remember Matthew Shepard. He was killed by passionate Christian boys who used their Bible as a defense.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 4:18pm
  66. It sounds to me like Mr. Bachman may have a thing for those Barbarians of which he seems so afraid.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 4:26pm
  67. So true! Guys like this always get caught in some kind of gay scandal!

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 10:33pm
  68. Why is it that the people dishing out sense and morality are always the last ones that should be?

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 11:16pm
  69. He got his PhD from a correspondence school… I read somewhere (pretty sure it was on the daily beast in an article about him) that he can’t call himself a doctor/therapist, because it’d be a violation of title law, but he can imply that he’s a counselor. However, I’m not sure if that’s true?

Regardless of whether or not that is indeed true, it’s still pretty hilarious that his degree is about as valid as me writing “Doctor Chelsea” on a napkin, and calling it a diploma. I mean, could someone as asinine as he is really defend their dissertation and get a PhD from an accredited program? Could he really even write a dissertation? Both are highly unlikely. He’d have to step away from the donuts for too long to accomplish either of those things.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 5:01pm
  70. Another uneducated person talking!

Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 at 9:59pm
  71. @Deanna Bowden: Took my worlds haha

Side Note: MY gaydar went off during that sound clip O_o

Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 8:22am
  72. “it turns out that this therapist apparently eschews the dangerous practice of ‘repairative therapy.’”

I’m not sure this means what you wanted it to mean: eschew means to shun or avoid.

Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 9:36am
  73. This is absolutly ridiculus. like really? her husband needs a life. not only does he claim he’s a “doctor” or a “councilor” but yet he claims he can turn gay men into striaght men. what does this mean? that its okay for women to be gay but not men? its like disgracing joan rivers for her plastic surgery. really who the hell in there right mind gave this womens husband and his “associates” this “therepy” buisness to “Change” our socity? im sorry but if i wanna be gay im gonna be gay, if my brother wanted to be gay then let him. dont send them to this dumb ass and try to turn them straight. its not human its not right. its more of being an alien than being a human being. no one can tell us what to be and what to do. jeez someone take his so called “Phd” away from him.

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 at 3:53pm
  74. Sexuality’s not a disease. “Can’t stop the straight people from openly expressing sexuality? Let’s stop the gays, then!” seems to be the line of thought on this. Not so long ago, the Church and politicians were all about banning The Pill, on the grounds that it would make women more promiscuous and ruin the country. Before that, women’s rights-same thing. Before that, sexuality on the whole was a dirty dirty thing. No matter how you come by it, it cannot be changed-not through hormone therapy, not through people trying to make you more masculine or feminine, not through anything. It’s like hair dye-you can cover it up (Marcus Bachmann, is that you?!) but you can always see those roots eventually.

Just saying.