Business

Home Depot tells anti-gay hate group AFA what they can do with their petition

Friday, June 3, 2011

Executives at The Home Depot gave a cool reception to representatives of the anti-gay hate group American Family Association at the company’s annual shareholder’s meeting in Atlanta this week.

The AFA recently called for a nationwide boycott against The Home Depot because it says the home improvement retailer continues to “promote the homosexual agenda.”

AFA Executive Vice-President Buddy Smith, and Director of Special Projects Randy Sharp, said they were rebuffed by Home Depot Chairman Frank Blake and other company executives for challenging their “corporate endorsement” of marriage equality and LGBT rights.

“We presented to the shareholders and to the chairman and the board of directors over 470,000 signature petitions asking them to remain neutral in the culture war, specifically when it addresses gay marriage and homosexual activist groups,” Sharp tells OneNewsNow.

The reception was cool, adds the AFA spokesman. Blake thanked AFA for the petitions but again, as in the past, reiterated the company’s support for “diversity,” which includes same-gender “marriage.”

Atlanta-based Home Depot promotes diversity-oriented organizations, including “Out and Equal Workplace Advocates,” an LGBT advocacy group that supports workplace diversity, marriage equality, and activities such as Transgender Remembrance Day. The Home Depot is also a supporter of the Human Rights Campaign.

“For several years, The Home Depot has given its financial and corporate support to open displays of homosexual activism on main streets in America’s towns,” said the AFA, in a statement. “The Home Depot has chosen to sponsor and participate in numerous gay pride parades and festivals. Most grievous is The Home Depot’s deliberately exposing small children to lascivious displays of sexual conduct by homosexuals and cross-dressers, which are a common occurrence at these events.”

The AFA has been designated as a “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Most recently, Bryan Fischer, the AFA’s director of analysis for government and policy, has referred to gays as Nazi’s, and also called gays the “#1 perpetrators of hate crimes in America.”

Archives: , , , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. Home Depot is a seriously shitty place to work (I used to work there and hated it), but the pay & benefits is pretty good, including the benefits they extend to same-sex couples. So, yay!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:21pm
  2. Home Depot is a seriously shitty place to work (I used to work there and hated it), but the pay & benefits is pretty good, including the benefits they extend to same-sex couples. So, yay!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:21pm
  3. There is no “neutral” in the “culture war” unless a corporation declines to give benefits to no one. By setting eligibility req’s they’re committed to one position or the other.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:22pm
  4. There is no “neutral” in the “culture war” unless a corporation declines to give benefits to no one. By setting eligibility req’s they’re committed to one position or the other.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:22pm
  5. Now that’s a true company!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:22pm
  6. Now that’s a true company!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:22pm
  7. Go Home Depot!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:33pm
  8. Go Home Depot!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:33pm
  9. Home Depot Rocks! I worked there before going into the military and would work there again. Its a much better place to work than other retailers I’ve worked for and are very LGBT+ friendly.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:36pm
  10. Home Depot Rocks! I worked there before going into the military and would work there again. Its a much better place to work than other retailers I’ve worked for and are very LGBT+ friendly.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:36pm
  11. My girl and I both have been working for hd for a long time….happy to hear this :)

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:41pm
  12. My girl and I both have been working for hd for a long time….happy to hear this :)

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 12:41pm
  13. This. is. what. needs. to. happen. on. a. large. scale.

People need to stand up, again: stand up, and TELL the ultra-conservatives that they are no longer interested in pandering to violence, hatred, Naziism, forced theocracy, and a culture of controlling fear. Corporation after corporation needs to tell these people they. don’t. care. Anyone who supports the ultra-conservatives is, in effect, supporting something so anti-American that they deserve to have their business, via boycott and peaceful demonstration, severely compromised.

I do not care what anyone has to say on the matter and I will not hear it. You are free to practice your religion privately. Now the ultra-conservatives are, like terrorists and Nazis, attempting to force it repeatedly upon the public and *enshrine it in law*. It must be fought until they see reason, are exhausted, or have had their any political clout destroyed (again, by legal means, something which must be asserted, defended and clarified over and over because the ultra-conservatives, so viciously manipulative as they are, endlessly accuse others of violence and lawlessness). THEY DON’T CARE about the bible and they don’t care about the ten commandments; it is about control, no more and no less. It is so vital to being a proud and upstanding American to defend their right to practice their religion BUT NO MORE; their influence must be stopped at all cost, and this is a good start.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 1:45pm
  14. The AFA should post the names of businesses owned by their membership. This would allow non bigoted North Americans to boycott those stores.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 2:14pm
  15. Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 3:12pm
  16. We gave Homo Depot some $ today…thank you for standing up to the Christianists.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 3:36pm
  17. Cool, Home Depot! Thanks for standing up to the people who were unfortunate enough to have been dropped on their heads and fed paint chips as children!

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 3:49pm
  18. Go Home Depot!!! :D

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 4:04pm
  19. I love Home Depot and Appreciate all that they do for our Community here in Appleton Wisconsin! Thank you for being a terrific member of our community! You have my dollars for sure!

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 7:12am
  20. I work at The Home Depot and am considered a valuable employee. Their values include respect for all people and that included me as I started and finished transition while employed there. Good job Frank Blake, you really exhibit the company value of respect.

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 11:29am
  21. U can certainly stay neutral. 99.9% of corporations do this, including my own. And having beliefs and values don’t make people haters. And wanting neutrality doesn’t make anyone nazis. Just like anyone calling those from other sides nazis is ludicrous.

Having said that, I have seen a ton of hate in these responses. And I have never seen christians openly attack homosexuals. Not true christians. Christians are more than welcome in my church. The word most used in the bible is love. But there are things Christans stand for, just like people want to boycott AFA’s supporters, or Glenn Beck, etc… You see, there are beliefs all around. Unfortunately, persecuting Christians is the popular thing.

We’ll see how much hate flows from my comments here. I don’t care. It would prove my point if so. Regardless, there are many neutral home improvement stores. I am more comfortable there. Everyone else, enjoy Home Depot. I greatly respect them for what they do for the Military, just don’t agree with this issue.

Respects to all.

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 3:21pm
  22. I am constantly attacked by “so called” Christians, and I’m not lumping all Christians into one category and I’m only referring to the ones that spew hatred, because I’m an activist trying to stop teen suicide from bullying, social, peer and religious pressures, and it is that sector of their populous that gives the others a bad name, but many follow Jesus’ teachings and they do preach of love, understanding, acceptance and tolerance, so it is not fair to generalize and lump them all into one group, just as it’s not fair for anyone to assume that all gays are sex starved perverts that march in parades with G-string and feather boas. I do find that those types are the ones that are quick to make up statistics and lies and they put male homosexuals in the same category as pedophiles, when scientific studies show that gays and lesbians make up less than 3% of the worlds child molesters.

Bravo Home Depot for standing firmly by your convictions and for supporting equal rights for all.

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 8:08pm
  23. NOW IT ABOUT TIME SOMEONE STANDS FOR WHAT IS RIGHT AND JUST..dont let ppl tell you what they want you to do or say. be your own person….YOU GOTTA WALK IN YOUR OWN SHOES.

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 1:41pm
  24. I is a shame that those with same sex attractions get let down by Home Depot when HD advocates the homosexual life style as just another way of life.

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 6:00pm
  25. Truly a sad day in America…the LGBT crowd wants acceptance and has become the MOST intolerant entity when they don’t get what they want. The Christian community stands firm in it’s beliefs and regardless of how they say it they are labeled hate mongers for not accepting the LGBT agenda. Ergo we now are persecuting Christians again. Yes Jesus preached love, but he also preached about marriage. I don’t hate gay people, I just don’t accept their doctrine. I am commanded to love all, and sometimes easier said than done. Love thy neighbor as thyself does not mean I have to agree with them. Good luck Home Depot, but you have lost my business…

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 8:14am
  26. There is only a “culture war” because of groups of brainless wonders like the AFA.

The gay/lesbian community as well as the transgender community has never wanted a war. They just want to live. And for some reason, some jackasses think it’s in their rights to try and stop them.

Posted on Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 7:02am
  27. NO one hates you. Ok maybe a few that don’t really know Jesus. fact is the gay lifestyle is a sin BUT it is no bigger sin than strait people having sex outside of marrige. I was one of those people. and I hated Gays But the love of christ taught me ALL have sinned none of us are wothy of his love NONE! but he loved us anyway. I know their is one person reading this that Is thinking of killing yourself Don;t do it. call out to Jesus and he will hear you. Jesus Loves you so do lots of other people. we christains are called haters by the Gay comunity . it’s OK they called christ that 2000 years ago But he loved you anyway

Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:03pm
  28. “Now the ultra-conservatives are, like terrorists and Nazis, attempting to force it repeatedly upon the public and *enshrine it in law*.”

You could just change “ultra-conservatives” [sic] to “LGBT Nation” and it would be just as true. Everyone has an agenda.

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 3:30pm
  29. “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desomnd Tutu

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 10:57pm
  30. AFA is definitely stuck in a bubble and needs to accept diversity I hope this group will be disbanded someday. We have to keep fighting until that day comes. I think companies like home Depot will help make that happen. It will come I think they seem to lose more and more power as people wake up and smell the bull shit.

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 7:53pm