Cee Lo Green’s homophobic tweet: ‘I shouldn’t have to apologize’

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cee Lo Green, who on Friday took to Twitter and called a reviewer “gay” for writing a negative review of his June 16 performance in Minneapolis, said he said shouldn’t “have to apologize for speaking my mind or defending my performance.”

Cee Lo Green

In an interview with Us Weekly, Green, a vocal coach on the NBC reality talent show “The Voice,” said he “spoke too soon,” and wants his fans to know that he isn’t a homophobe.

“She was very critical of me. At the time I didn’t even know what gender the person was. I was being a little outspoken that night, a little outrageous,” he tells Us. “I always expect people to assume that everything I do is part of my character and sense of humor. I assumed that whoever it was would assume it was all in good fun. It wasn’t taken so well, apparently.”

“I most certainly am not harboring any sort of negative feeling toward the gay community. I don’t have an opinion on people with different religious, sexual or political preferences,” he explains.

“I’m one of the most liberal artists that I think you will ever meet, and I pride myself on that. Two of the remaining members that I have on my team on The Voice are proud and outspokenly gay. We just did a team performance of ‘Everyday People,’ and I picked that song for us to do specifically to highlight how we can get along even though we’re so different.”

Green likely under the assumption that the reviewer — Andrea Swensson of City Pages — was a man, tweeted, “I’m guessing ur gay? and my masculinity offended u?”

When some twitter followers responded with anger, Green wondered, “what was homophobic about that?”

In her review, Swensson said that Green “failed to measure up to the fun factor of his recorded material. Green spent most of the set stationed in front of a mic at the center of the stage, barely moving an inch while he sang and flanked by two forgettable back-up singers and a DJ that was all but hidden behind a giant LCD display.”

Swensson called the tweet “just plain weird.”

“If I could take it all back, I would. I was not being serious,” Green told Us. “I just wanted to defend our performance.”

Green has since deleted both tweets from his Twitter page.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. Never liked him anyways…no loss to me.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:31pm
  2. What a douche.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:31pm
  3. ^ me neither.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:32pm
  4. he ended up apologizing though if you read the rest of the article

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:33pm
  5. And that means I shouldn’t have to hear his overplayed crap on my radio, either. Guess I’ll call and complain.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:33pm
  6. well f you cee no!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:33pm
  7. If I were to say that the “comedian” talk like a ghetto “N****r, would I have to apologize for that comment? I believe I should and would!!!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:34pm
  8. *Forget* you Cee Lo

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:35pm
  9. He should have to apologize because there is nothing bad or unmasculine about being gay! liberal my ass if you can’t see what was wrong with both of your gd statements if you shouldn’t have to apologize why delete the tweets? why not stick to your asshole guns? fucking jerk!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:36pm
  10. I like his voice and music. And Fu*k You was just hilarious cause it comes out and says what most would like to at times. But his slur was pathetic and the crap bout his masculinity amused me. With that wardrobe if he added a cheesy wig he could easily pass as an old church lady…a heifer!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:38pm
  11. I don’t think he should have to apologize either.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:39pm
  12. Never liked him anyway. His voice is a joke. Hi pitched like he’s mimicking a woman. Forget you Cee Lo!!!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:40pm
  13. Stupid idiot…..fuck you!!!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:44pm
  14. Poor cee lo, with all of those outlandish outfits etc, I figured he was one of us. Come out of that closet:) LOL…only an insecure idiot uses homophopic and/or racist language….

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:46pm
  15. I gotta agree with the schmuck on the fact that he doesn’t need to appolagize. Fuck him. I don’t need to either…

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:46pm
  16. Wow, and I thought Cee Lo Green was bigger than that :/

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:47pm
  17. Meh. He thinks he shouldn’t have to apologize for being a homophobic douche and I think I shouldn’t have to apologize for thinking he is one.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:50pm
  18. Why would anyone care what he says or whether or not he’s sorry he said it? Worship of celebrity is not healthy.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:50pm
  19. What an idiot. Say whatever he wants, then says he doesn’t have to apologize, then tries to back track and apologize… Doh!!!! What’s that newish buzz word? Oh yeah “transparent”!!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:56pm
  20. This is where I draw the line. I myself slip often and call things “gay” still. It doesn’t make it right, but I still think demanding an apology is a bit anal. It’s not like he said “f–”.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 4:02pm
  21. Demanding an apology is exactly what people you do, maybe that’ll make people think twice before using it to insult. Just like no one says “nigger”.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 4:11pm
  22. Crazy talk. I was so sure he was gay. Guess he broke my gaydar – ain’t that some shhhhhh.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 4:24pm
  23. never did like this guy. he’s a douche just like his buddy blacke

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 4:31pm
  24. *blake*

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 4:31pm
  25. @ Michael R. Hawk: I’m not worshiping him I’m laughing at him as I picture him stomping his foot and getting all pissy.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 4:57pm
  26. Dude, come on. You said something you know you shouldn’t so man up and admit it. “gay” is not necessarily indicative of an effeminate demeanor. If you work so closely with gay people as you say then you should know this.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 5:15pm
  27. It wasn’t a homophobic thing he said. I mean sure it can be taken in that way. However, unfortunately the term gay has become a word used to describe something that’s silly or stupid. Which is the way I’m sure Cee-Lo meant it to be taken. Now, I am in no way condoning his use of the word, but if I were being honest, I have used it in that way too. Considering, I am an openly gay male, it has just slipped. Especially being around and listening to it used in that manner.I have recently become aware and begun to refrain from using the word in that way. As well as retard. I don’t feel this words should be used in the manner they’ve been adopted for.So instead of being angry and saying he cant sing, when he obviously has an outstandingly unique voice is just immature. Be grown up and education instead of ridicule.

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 10:15pm
  28. He was not using the word “Gay” as a slur, he was out right saying that he thought a gay person would be offended by his masculinity. I think he was being sexist more then homophobic, and also stereotyping all gay people which is very offensive in it self. The mans ego is out of control. He made statements that he has sex more then any man he knows, sometimes three times a day with different women. Seems to me his own masculinity is threatened and fragile.

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 at 11:15am
  29. woowwww he really wants some attention, no one cared about his song f you so he had to do something. He tries to look like a gangster but sings like a bitch!

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 at 4:43pm