Utah state representative introduces anti-gay ‘Family Policy’ bill

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

LaVar Christensen

SALT LAKE CITY — Extremist and anti-gay Utah state Representative LaVar Christensen (R) has introduced House Bill 270, called the “Family Policy” bill.

The language includes the State affirming marriage as “ordained by god” between a man and a woman:

“As the public policy of Utah, that a family, consisting of a legally and lawfully married man and woman and their children, is the fundamental unit of society; and requires that publicly funded social programs, government services, laws, and regulations designed to support families be carefully scrutinized to ensure that the promote the family.”

And as if we needed any more proof that Christensen and his Sutherland Institute cronies have never actually read the constitution, it also says;

“Marriage and family predate all governments and are supported by and consistent with the Laws of Nature and Nature’s God, the Creator and Supreme Judge of the World.”

Welcome back to the dark ages folks.

I’m still going through the details of the bill, but it appears that it doesn’t actually effect any actual policies, but rather is a typical Utah GOP ‘Message Bill’ designed to garner favor with the most extreme 1% of the population.

Utah already has a constitutional amendment (Amendment 3) which prohibits same sex marriage, civil unions or any governmental recognition similar to marriage in the state.

Last Week, Christensen reintroduced a bill he tried to pass in 2006 which prohibits same-sex couples from making contractual agreements, such as wills and financial arrangements.

South Carolina

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Utah

1. another blow to equality watch out there be targeting skin color again next

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:12pm
  2. maybe they should focus less on same sex marriage and more on the women and children trapped in polygamy!

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:12pm
  3. OMG….someone remind me of what year it is again, please???????

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:12pm
  4. Ignorant and close-minded.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:14pm
  5. Marriage is no longer between a man and a woman, it’s between 2 people that love each other, no matter what gender. GET WITH THE PROGRAM LAVAR!!! X_X

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:15pm
  6. Shit dude.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:15pm
  7. I wish separation of church and state would prevent these things, but it looks like we’re not at that point yet…

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:16pm
  8. Gay marriage: No. Mormon marriage: Yes. Utah: A southern redneck state that just got misplaced.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:17pm
  9. The Mormon Church – or people connected with it – are becoming very contradictory … the church says that they are “reviewing” their anti-gay policies by saying they will accept their gay members … now, this bigoted moron is going in the opposite direction. It’s almost as if the right hand has absolutely NO idea what the left hand is doing.
    @ Carmen … I agree – this is supposed to be the 21st century … but, if one looks at the Mormon Church’s history – one tends to believe that they are still in the 19th

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:17pm
  10. There is NOTHING wrong with this, Real Americans always reject unnatural things like Gay marriage, eyeglasses, polyester, liposuction and air conditioning.
    ///hint at my sarcasm///

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:23pm
  11. Today is a day that I am ashamed to live in Utah. Our public officials are incredibly close minded, making laws to prevent what makes them uncomfortable. I hope in my lifetime I see acceptance, especially in Utah

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:24pm
  12. You freaking love who you love. If these stood people were gay, they would fight for gay marriage too. Because of these assholes my mom can’t marry the woman she has loved for 9 years. People make me sick, yet mormons used to be able to have like 5000 wives…its unreal, you love who you love.end of story

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:31pm
  13. ok…dude…who the fuck do u think u r?! why dont u go out and stop a rapist from marryin 12 14-year-olds and actually, oh, idk, HAVE A FUCKIN LIFE?!?!?!

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:34pm
  14. I’m pretty sure if everyone truly cared about the sanctity of fucking marriage so much, they’d start looking into divorce & annulment rates. Because Britney Spears 24 hour marriages sure don’t seem too fucking holy to me.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:40pm
  15. I am sooooooooo glad that I moved out of Utah before things got this bad

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:43pm
  16. I thought the state I live in is bad because Mike Huckabee was our governor for forever. This guy takes the cake. Wow!

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:51pm
  17. I am so sure that he will soon be found in the airport mens room with a ” wide stance ” real soon. At least we know that we can look forward to that soon.

Posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 10:35am