Iowa teen gives impassioned speech in support of his gay parents

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DES MOINES — On Monday evening, Zach Wahls, a 19-year-old University of Iowa student spoke about the strength of his family during a public forum on House Joint Resolution 6, an amendment that seeks to repeal the state’s marriage equality law, and deny any form of legal recognition for gay couples.

“Over the next 2 hours, I’m sure we’re going to hear plenty of testimony about how damaging having gay parents is on kids, but in my 19 years, not once have I ever been confronted by an individual who realized independently that I was raised by a gay couple,” said Wahls, who has two mothers.

“And you know why,” he asked. “Because the sexual orientation of my parents has had zero effect on the content of my character.”

Watch here:

Earlier today, the Iowa state House passed the amendment, House Joint Resolution 6, by a vote of 62-37.

The measure seeks to prohibit not only same-sex marriage, but also civil unions and domestic partnerships.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Iowa

1. You go Zach!

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:47pm
  2. That was brilliant.

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:51pm
  3. <3 looove it! <3

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:51pm
  4. I can’t believe tis guy is my age!

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:52pm
  5. A awesome young man.Good for you…

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:54pm
  6. I loved EVERYTHING about this! <3

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:57pm
  7. Cheers to a real human. I now have a flicker of faith back in humanity.

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:59pm
  8. He is a Hero in my book!

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 10:00pm
  9. Yet they STILL pass the ban. >_<

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 10:05pm
  10. Awesome kid!

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 10:14pm
  11. VERY well said, he should run for office, his speech skills are phenomenal. I love my generation, they’re so much more open-minded than the baby boomers.

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 10:37pm
  12. What a beautiful man.
    may he and his be forever.

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 11:16pm
  13. okay I will comment.
    I am very old. 69years old. I do love all of you.
    but I havve fotgotten why I am posting ?
    I GUESS IT IS ALTHIMERS?

Speling?

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 11:40pm
  14. Beautifuly said.

Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 11:49pm
  15. Amazing speech! What a good kid. People really need to hear his message.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 12:00am
  16. Hoo ra! :3

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 8:10am
  17. COLAGE: People with a Lesbian,Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Queer Parent congratulates the Wahls family for their courageous testimony!

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 2:41pm
  18. IF this goes to a vote I sure hope each and every Iowan will stop and say “How does a gay couple getting married affect me?? The answer is, It does not affect you. It is not my place to tell anyone they can or cannot get married. DO NOT let people from outside of the state of Iowa pressure us to vote their way. That is how we lost 3 good judges. Outsiders rallied in Iowa. IF this goes to a vote make sure you and your friends get out and vote it down. The youth of the state need to step up and make a stand.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 6:01pm
  19. I’m so glad I heard Zach Wahl’s life story on TV today.
    I was very moved by his loving story. He is like so many other young people the strength and hope of our nation.
    Thank You to the Wahl’s Family for sharing and caring. Please Iowan Voters listen to our young people they judge by character not sex, color or economic status. They don’t have cob webs in their brains. God speed to Zach on his journey for equality for all.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 7:17pm
  20. Does anybody have the actual YouTube video name ?

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 8:30pm
  21. @ Ashley the youtube vid is called "Zach Wahls Speaks About Family"

Replied on Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 11:05pm
  22. That is amazing!

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:26pm
  23. I LOVE THIS KID. WHAT A WONDERFUL SPEECH , BOTH HIS MOTHERS SHOULD BE VERY PROUD.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:31pm
  24. he said it perfect. you’d never guess he was raised by same sex parents. point proven they can raise children as good as straight parents.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:33pm
  25. very well said!

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:52pm
  26. It passed though, the first step at least. What a shame. He is a great speaker.

Posted on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:56pm
  27. Even some str8 parents can’t raise a kid this good!! Gooo heead!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 3:56am
  28. NICELY DONE

Posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 5:34am
  29. This kid is an amazing speaker. Shame it was passed regardless.

Why are so many people afraid of others who aren’t like them? Will this turn into some lesser form of Hitler and the Jews? Only now, it’s homophobics verses gays. When will people see, we are not horrible people. We have a right to love, life, work, everything. Just like you do.

We are human too.

Posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 6:54am
  30. I love this! yOU GO zACH!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 3:02pm
  31. WOW, Would any Parent, Brother, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, would be so proud of this young man for standing up for his FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!Way to go Zach Wahls!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 8:16pm
  32. Very impressive. Great Job Mr. Zach Wahls!

Posted on Friday, February 4, 2011 at 12:25pm
  33. that young man’s speech touched my heart when he is very supportive of his gay parents, my uncle is gay and i’m bisexual so we both came out of the closet safely.

Posted on Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 2:50pm
  34. you are the man Zach your gay parents will always love you no matter what. When I came out of the closet being bisexual, my grandparents didn’t let me down besides my dad, my grandfather still supports and ares for me everyday.

Posted on Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 2:54pm
  35. That was an amazing and heart felt speech that he gave. He is very support and cares deeply about his gay parents an his family. They’ve raised a wonderful young man…

Posted on Monday, February 7, 2011 at 11:58am
  36. People like Zach are heros in my book. With him just being a few months older than me and being able to stick up for what he believes in is astonishing. A lot of people our age can’t stand up against our elders like him but he did it and with such a powerful voice and soul behind it. Go Zach!

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 4:31pm