Gay British radio personality flees Uganda after threats by anti-gay MP

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A popular BBC radio host was forced to flee armed police in Uganda, after revealing to British-educated politician and member of Uganda’s parliament, David Bahati, that he is gay.

Scott Mills and a BBC production crew were in Uganda to film an upcoming television special titled “The Worst Place to Be Gay?”

During an interview with Bahati, the key author of Uganda’s anti-homosexuality legislation — often referred to as the “Kill the Gays” bill — Mills told him he is gay and Bahati became furious.

Mills, 36, told reporters that the MP went “mental” and called for armed backup.

“He was scary. He ordered us to cut the cameras then brought a security guard,” Mills recalled. “We ran off and he rang one of our guys saying, ‘Where are they staying? What are the registration plates? I want them arrested. They won’t get far.’”

One of Mills’ colleagues lied about where the group was staying, buying them more time for escape.

“I’d heard horror stories about people getting arrested and roughed up and who knows what,” said Mills. “I was scared.”

Uganda is one of more than 35 African nations that have outlawed homosexuality.

Human rights activists say Uganda, with a population of 31 million, has some 500,000 gays and lesbians, and that the LGBT community continues to live in fear.

Last year, Bahati called for the death penalty for some homosexual acts. The proposed Anti-Homosexuality Bill, has sparked international outcry, but has not yet been formally debated by parliament.

Mills’ report, “The World’s Worst Place to be Gay?,” will be shown on BBC Three on Monday, Feb. 14.

South Carolina

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Africa

1. Really they sent armed police after him? I hate britain now. More so than before!

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:29am
  2. well ill be watching that tomorrow

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:30am
  3. why would you hate britain? it was uganda who sent armed forces….

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:31am
  4. Uganda, not britain lol, this is in africa

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:31am
  5. we dont outlaw gays,

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:31am
  6. I admire this man’s bravery. I just wish that Uganda wasn’t so ignorant.

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:33am
  7. I admire this man’s bravery. I just wish that Uganda wasn’t so ignorant.

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:33am
  8. Right woops. Read it too fast. Lol. Hate redirected to uganda.

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:38am
  9. Weblike to the 21st century. It’s hard to believe that ignorance still exists when the gay community has made such headway for acceptance worldwide. Our work is definitely is not over.

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:55am
  10. Weblike to the 21st century. It’s hard to believe that ignorance still exists when the gay community has made such headway for acceptance worldwide. Our work is definitely is not over.

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 10:55am
  11. So Uganda wants to start a war with the UK? Are they stupid… wait, I already know the answer.

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 11:39pm
  12. I saw “The World’s Worst Place to be Gay?” on BBC Three this evening.

Scot is indeed a brave man. I’m ashamed to admit that don’t think I could do that.

I know religion can be a great comfort to many, but when (again)fused with ‘medieval’ ignorance & superstition, it breeds fear & hate.

Growing up in England, as a child, I had a child’s faith in a compassionate, forgiving God Who loves us all equally.

As a man, a gay man, (having felt the pain of rejection by those who should have really cared) I now prefer to put most of my faith in science, reason, logic & my friends.

To hear those young people in Uganda parotting the homophobic views of their Pastors, made me feel, like Scott, just so sad.

Briefly, during the programme, I felt just a little of that fear…

…nothing compared to those, (despised & rejected) who must live with the fear of attack, imprisionment, torture, rape, & death – every single day!

I hope Pastor Martin Niemoller (1892–1984) will forgive me for misquoting him a little:

And first they came for the Gays…..

This wave of fundamentalist Christian bigotry which is sweeping Africa is like a cancer – it kills!

Thankyou Scott & your crew for making this eye-opening programme.

Franz