NY Post’s headline belittles Elton John, David Furnish birth annoucement

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Singer Elton John and his partner David Furnish announced this week they have become parents after a surrogate mother from California gave birth to their son on Christmas day.

But amid notes of congratulations, the New York Post has come under fire for its print and online headline, “Elton & wife proud dads.”

Via Brian Moylan at Gawker:

“It is just a cheap, dull, and unoriginal joke, that it’s below the NY Post, which prides itself on having some of the cleverest headlines in the business.

Oh, and it’s doubly offensive to gay men, not only because it says that anyone who would want to enter into a relationship with another man is womanly, but also because it also pokes fun at the fact that we can’t even get married if we want to.”

Their son, Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, weighed in at 7 pounds, 15 ounces. John, 63, and Furnish, 48, have been together 17 years, and have been in a civil partnership since 2005.

“We are overwhelmed with happiness and joy at this very special moment. Zachary is healthy and doing really well, and we are very proud and happy parents,” the couple said in a statement.

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. the NY Post os owned by Rupert Murdoch … so what else can one expect from the newspaper. when I lived in NYC – I did not read the rag

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:01pm
  2. wow thats really sad

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:02pm
  3. FOR THIS, THE NY POST IS OFFENSIVELY DOUCHBAGGEDLY FUCKTARDISH!!!

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:04pm
  4. …see – I’m so seethingly irate that I spelled DOUCHEBAGGEDLY wrong!…

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:09pm
  5. I dont understand why some people pick on the gay/lesbian community for having children. Elton and his husband will take better care of this child than some of the people who just pop out child after child! Im pretty sure they will never ask society for anything more than acceptance. Thats much better than asking for tax payers money to raise your kids! Im sorry, but I have my own son to raise, with my hard earned money and unconditional love! I say, congratulations, Elton! You both deserve a child to cherish in your lives!

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:11pm
  6. LAAAAAAAME.

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:15pm
  7. Studies show that gay couples have more stable relationships than breeders, and their children are more well adjusted, happier, and successful. Bravo you two!

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:16pm
  8. Everybody. Calm down. This was a dumb and botched joke. Some person, who was ignorant of how this would come off, tried to make a funny sounding headline that would catch attention. Its not belittling. Its stupid. The actual text that one might notice is written under the headline, is not bad in the slightest. This is not something big. It should be noted as a mistake, and remembered only for its lesson.

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:17pm
  9. Congratulations Elton and David!
    I can’t really blame the newspaper, honestly in a mainstream media paper, how often would you type elton john and his husband? It’s an unfortunate mishap but I doubt anything was meant by it.

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 5:13pm
  10. I hope after we get our equal rights we can go back to laughing at stupid jokes like these..

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 5:21pm
  11. @Christian: an INTENTIONAL act of sarcasm/belittlement – whateverrrrr – is not a mistake. The headline writer may claim that to be the case AFTER the fact. But still, it is no mistake. I’ll accept it to be a LAPSE IN BETTER JUDGEMENT. It will never be simply a mistake.

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 5:49pm