The fire started in a garage and spread to a nearby duplex, according to fire officials. The float was in a car tent in front of the garage; it had previously been used in last weekend’s gay pride parade, and was being readied for the Fourth of July parade.
It’s unclear if the fire was an accident or arson. But KTUU-TV reported that witnesses told fire investigators they saw someone running from the driveway just moments before the garage went up in flames.
The float belonged to the gay rights organization Imperial Court of All Alaska.
A fire department spokeswoman said the fire is being called suspicious and is under investigation.
Photo via the Anchorage Daily News.